PDA

View Full Version : output

dhouyt
10-07-2006, 09:01 AM
i know this is a stupid question, but what is the best lightwave v9 output format when finished with an animation and how is that done... so that i can send it to anybody who does not have lighwave and they can just click on it and see how stupid i really am.

Sekhar
10-07-2006, 10:19 AM
AVI is a good one to use. The tricky part is to pick a codec, and that depends a lot on where folks will see this (e.g., locally or over the web) - you typically will need to balance quality and file size (compression). Modern codecs like MPEG4 and H.264 provide great quality with low file sizes. If your frame size is small, you could also get away with uncompressed, but watch out: playback will stutter if the disk can't handle the data rate (which will be higher than with compression).

Since rendering is expensive (in terms of time), a better way is to save as uncompressed (or as an uncompressed image sequence), and then use that master to create different versions as appropriate.

dhouyt
10-08-2006, 03:01 AM
thank you Sekhar, but my first attempt at making an AVI last week did not work and technical support/manual offered no help... i made a simple ball, moved it in a simple circle and i wanted to see a simple AVI... what steps do i take to have a product...

shaun_michael
10-08-2006, 05:42 AM
as Sekhar says, the best thing to do is output it as an uncompressed image sequence. Not only does this mean no compression (if you choose a lossless format), but in terms of rendering, it means that if all should go wrong on frame 2000 of 2000 you only have to render one frame again. If it were an AVI or QT you'd have to render the whole thing again. Painful...

Once you have the image sequence, simply code it to an avi or mov as required until you're happy with it.

If you want to just pre-vis what you're doing, encode the avi/mov at a lower resolution to ensure the correct playback speed (if you're computer has trouble playing full-frame siz, full res.

dhouyt
10-08-2006, 09:27 AM
thank you shaun_michael... at the risk of being exposed as dumber than elmer fudd what do you mean, "simply code it to an avi or mov"... how do i code it to an avi or mov... please tell me step by step... the ones i have made are not recognized by any players... microsoft media player v10 or quicktime

Sekhar
10-08-2006, 10:10 AM
You'll need SW to convert the images sequence to AVI, etc. A good one is After Effects - you load the first image and AE will ask if it's first of a sequence and then will load the whole collection as if they were one animation file.

Going back to your original problem though, what AVI codec did you choose? Just for testing, may be you can pick Cinepak and see if you can play the AVI?

shaun_michael
10-08-2006, 02:29 PM
You could use AE or combustion to render the anmation out as an avi after rendering the whole image sequence, or you culd get lightwave to do it in it's compositing option.

Render out your image sequence as sequential files.
Open a new, fresh layout ( you dont have to, just saves messing about)
Go to your image editor and load the first image into it.
Make sure you're on the source tab of the image editor, click on the image type tab and select sequence. LW then loads your images as a sequence of images.
Then, go to your compositing options via window.compositing options in your main menus of layout (or hit ctrl F7).
Select your image sequence as the background image.
Go to your render options or render globals (depending on which version of LW you're running)
Make sure you're rendering the same number of frames as are in your image sequence
Go down to your "output" options, tick the save animations box, select a type of file (ie avi), then below it select the options button and choose a codec and compression setting.
Hit F10 and it'll render the whole sequence again, but without geometry, simply using your image sequence as background images. Oh, and ensure your camera settings match your image sequence camera settings.
Happy days.

Of course if you have a compositing package such as those mentioned you can just bang the sequence in there and render away with all sorts of effects if you want, but if it's simply an avi you want this LW way is an option whilst preserving your original renders.

Hope that makes sense.

Shaun

ps - if you dont know, you dont know, its not a dumb question. If this still doesn't produce results, download some codecs for windows to ensure yours weren't the cause of the original problem. Oh and of course I'm assuming you're running windows from what you've mentioned so far. It'll work on a mac too though.

dhouyt
10-09-2006, 10:54 AM
thank you very much!

shaun_michael
10-09-2006, 01:38 PM
No problem, let us know how it works out.