PDA

View Full Version : Bones Created in Layout

Ivan_B
10-07-2006, 05:52 AM
Hi All,
Its my understanding that if you create skelegons in modeler and create weight maps with same names respectivly, The weight maps will be automatically be associated to the bone when loaded in Layout..

How do you get this happening if you create the bones in layout?..Ive tried making the names of the weight maps the same as the bones, but they dont associate automatically..Is there a way to do this?

Also, is it possible to load the bones created in layout, into modeler?...I'd like to use the same rig for multiple objects ( I have motion files for the rig)

Your probably thinking...Why doesnt he just create the bones in modeler?...I find it easier to create bones in layout.(tip move, bone split, etc)

Thanks
Ivan.

Nicolas Jordan
10-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi All,
Also, is it possible to load the bones created in layout, into modeler?...I'd like to use the same rig for multiple objects ( I have motion files for the rig)

You can't bring bones from Layout into modeler but you can load any object into layout to use the same rig that you created in Layout. Use the "Replace with object" option under the Items tab.

Ivan_B
10-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks nj3Design,

Thats what I have been doing, however the problem is, I have to keep associating the weight maps manually..I was hoping something could be done so I wouldnt have too.....
Larry Schultz's preview rigging video, shows a setup without weight maps..I think I need to learn that method. He also swithtches between hi and low poly objects with a click of a button..I think I need the video.

Thanks again
Ivan.

SplineGod
10-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Rigging without weight maps or with reduced/simple weight maps is easy.
Create your bones, rest them and test the rig. If you see deformation issues you can fix them with additional hold bones or with simple weight maps.
Since LW bones are deformers already it makes sense to see how the bones deform first on their own then fix/tweak things after.

Switching between proxy and hi rez meshes is pretty much industry standard. LW has some features that make it easy to do.

You can load bones into Modeler with the load bones plugin from Dstorm.
There are several ways to reuse rigs:
1. Swap characters
2. Save a RIG file out and reload it onto another rig.
3. Steel Ronin site and Mike Greens site have plugins that allow skelegons and bones to go back and forth. I still prefer doing things in layout. :)