PDA

View Full Version : License transfer for Fprime? USB dongle issues?

wacom
10-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Has anyone sold Fprime to anyone and transferred their license to another user without swapping dongles or paying full price for a new one?

I'd just swap dongles with the buyer, but he has another plug-in that is tied to HIS dongle.

If anyone has faced this, and can tell me what to do/expect that would really make my day. I contacted NewTek, but the rep told me that no one was there at the time that would know what to do in this particular case!

wacom
10-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Do you know if the swap is basicly me just paying for shipping etc. or is it that + something like $90?

Thanks for the reply BTW!

lunarcamel
10-05-2006, 05:32 PM
I swapped out dongles and this was Worleys response:

" You can FAX us a receipt( 650-322-8349 ) or have someone from NewTek contact us to confirm the exchange. "

Steve himself took care of this in less then 4 hours of me making the request - I just forwarded my NT receipt.

By far MUCH easier then the nightmare I went through with NT to get the new dongle!!!

wacom
10-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Were you going from a serial to a USB dongle, or did you go from USB to USB- and if you could tell me what was the cost?

lunarcamel
10-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Paralel to USB - and they waived the cost because it was a few weeks from when I ordered the 9 upgrade. ( I think it is $90 if you don't do it during an upgrade)

However they were suppose to next day it to me and they took their sweet time getting it out the door - so three days later I had it in my hands and had paid for next day air. I would have complained but after the horrible experience with customer service to even swap the dongle I couldn't bother. :thumbsdow

At the end of the day though I got what I wanted - so that's a plus.

Zane Condren
10-05-2006, 06:26 PM
In the US a dongle swap is $29.95 plus shipping, and can be ordered through Customer Service.

wacom
10-06-2006, 11:33 AM
So would it in theory work like this:

I give NewTek the old dongle

NewTek gives me a new dongle and proof of the switch

I show this switch, along side the new Fprime owners information,
to Worley- and now the transfer can go through

Does this seem correct from everyones experience?

Phil
10-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Ask Worley

wacom
10-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Just did!

"> Hello,
> OK, so if I do a dongle swap with NewTek, you can
> release the license on my old dongle, and then
> transfer the license to the new owners dongle right
> once you get his information? Just making sure.

Correct. Once you've swapped dongles with NewTek we're required to give
you
a new license . You can apply that license to the dongle of your
choice. It
doesn't have to be the one you get back from NewTek.

-Worley Labs"

lunarcamel
10-06-2006, 02:18 PM
I have to add that NT DID send me a new dongle before I returned the old one - they give you an RMA # ... which was a good thing!

wacom
10-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Well this really doesn't help does it?

"Hi Gideon,

The best thing I can see your co-worker doing is buying his own copy
of F-prime and keeping his dongle.We replace lost, stolen and broken
dongles. We do dongle swaps for people that need to switch from
parallel to USB, from USB to parallel but when it comes to plug ins
and plug in licenses we don't do those and we don't replace dongles
just to swap plug in licenses. Those are handled by the company that
sells them. I am sorry that I could not be of more help.

Thank you,
James White
NewTek support"

So let's see here...I need to sell something...to get money...so to get money he should buy something from someone else? That really doesn't help me.

So...if I were to say put my dongle in the toaster oven, or step on it, THEN I can get a new dongle? This is if I lie to Newtek- but it looks like since I'm being honest, and I'm willing to pay the $30 for it, I can't? Is this for tax reasons or something because it doesn't make sense to me...

What about what you said Zcondren?

"In the US a dongle swap is $29.95 plus shipping, and can be ordered through Customer Service."

Which employee do I believe here? Maybe I'm the one who's confused...or maybe Mr. White is?

Can I get an official- clear statement on this? Between the answers I'm getting here, and through email I'm still right where I was at my first post...

hrgiger
10-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Either James White, Newtek support, is unfamilair with the policy on dongle swaps or they have chaned the rules recently. I have bought and and sold my copies of Sasquatch and I have called Newtek to switch dongles for that purpose and it has never been a problem. I think you should send Chuck a private message and ask him directly and if he can't tell you the correct answer, perhaps he could delegate it up to the person who can.