PDA

View Full Version : Castle Island

ndrangesh
10-05-2006, 07:52 AM
hi
I used Lightwave 3d a lot and photoshop a bit for doing this castle. the castle texture, bridge texture are image map, with bump map.
the bushes , grasses on water, land are Photoshop grass Brushes, the trees near the castle are photoshop images.the bushe near the rock are photoshop images.
i used photoshop to save time from generating grasses and bushes.
the sky is an natural sky picture.
the hills the texture on the hills, land, water are Lightwave created.
PLEASE COMMENT ON THIS
How i can improve this

colkai
10-05-2006, 12:23 PM
First things that springs to mind is, your scale is all over the place, you need to refine your image so thing "fit".
As it stands, there are inconsistencies between the castle scale, doors, windows, buildings do not "fit" with each other. The scale of the castle compared to the island is also out of proportion. Some of the trees around it look large, others look tiny, making it hard to get a grip on what parts are 'human' scale.

starbase1
10-06-2006, 03:40 AM
A few other suggestions...

I'd tone down the strong greens a bit, the colours are rather saturated.

The reflection on the water is WAY too strong - and it would benefit from a gradient on incidence angle so it reflects less strongly at steeper angles.

The lighting is a bit flat - try lowering the sun and moving it to the side a bit. Lighting from top left often looks subtley better on screen, as that is assumed for the 3d effect on Windows screen furniture! (And I think Mac too).

Nick

colkai
10-06-2006, 05:23 AM
Lighting from top left often looks subtley better on screen, as that is assumed for the 3d effect on Windows screen furniture! (And I think Mac too).

Nick

Ya know, ya learn summat new every day. :)

voriax
10-08-2006, 08:40 PM
In addition to the comment about the reflection in the water being too strong, the waves seem too large, giving the shot a "model look".

Another way to add realism to an environment is to add some kind of haze covering the land, to simulate a bit of dust in the atmosphere.. The lighting is also far too uniform. Considering the sky is very cloudy, the clouds would be casting their shadows onto the landscape and creating light/dark areas..

Viewer height is also an issue, since viewing from the floating point far above the ground makes it feel like you're looking down onto a model, or a normal sized person walking through a miniature land. Think about rendering it from a human eye height above the ground level (if the ground has enough detail to look alright up close).

Shadows could do with a bit of softening, possibly even with a shadow-mapped light from far away (area light if you can handle the render times). Add some radiosity into the mix and you could have a nice scene.