PDA

View Full Version : I'm still waiting...

pumeco
10-05-2006, 03:18 AM
Question is, have I missed something or is anyone else still waiting as well?

I'm talking about the LW9 Discovery Edition.
I've been out of 3D for a while, but on knowing I'll return, I thought that by now it would be available. Buggered if I can find it though.

Is there any news on this 'cos I really need to play with this thing before I buy LightWave 10, and the 7.5 Discovery Edition just isn't good enough at this point in time.

Come on NewTek, for the sake of sanity - any info would be appreciated.

T-Light
10-05-2006, 03:29 AM
pumeco -

Is there any news on this 'cos I really need to play with this thing before I buy LightWave 10

Lightwave 10? Jumping the gun a bit, we're still on 9.0 :)

Lightwave 9 demo has been expected a while now, the discovery edition of 9 works the same way as did the discovery edition of 8 and 7, ie, it's the full program working without the dongle (limited saving, checkerboard render etc). Newtek hasn't released this to the general public yet. Apparently the Lightwave 9 demo will be different, Think it's going to be a time limited demo of the full software, but don't quote me on that.

Hopefully, (and we're all hoping), it should be along quite soon. :)

pumeco
10-05-2006, 04:10 AM
Lightwave 10? Jumping the gun a bit, we're still on 9.0 :)
lol - I'm still on 7.5 Discovery :)

Nah, I know what you mean though, it's just I get the feeling I might be better off jumping into LightWave from version 10, because I get the feeling they'll make major changes to it - it being a landmark release and all that.

I might start off with 9, but I still want to play around with it for a while first, so here's another hoping it'll be quite soon :)

Might as well wait with the demo till the modeler OpenGL update is live and give a better impression, hopefully.
Ah well, if it's not quite finished yet then I agree, I wouldn't want to try out a half baked product (but then again, I'm that desperate to get my hands on it - maybe I would) :D

That said, Nevercenter have released an uncomplete Silo2 (OPEN BETA), and to be fair, they treat their users with respect, and the concept looks to have been accepted really well. People seem to be getting along with the idea, and as such, Nevercenter are able to really refine their product.

Phil
10-05-2006, 05:44 AM
NewTek have a demo version of 8.x available - email [email protected] The same address will probably get you more information about the 9.0 demo and when it should appear.

frantbk
10-05-2006, 06:18 AM
Nevercenter only release the open beta to current owners of Silo, so it isn't any different then NewTek's open beta program of several months ago.

NewTek is too slow on the demo, lightwave 9 has been out now several months so I can't see any reason the demo is so far behind the product release. NewTek needs to get with the times lightwave nolonger has the word of mouth buzz of ten years ago to generate interest in it. Because of the past problems the demo is more important for many of us before buying lightwave.

Because of the constant posting about modeler crashing and other complaints of lightwave not having the demo doesn't make any sense. Just because of the postings I'm reviewing softimage XSI and Cinema 4D ver.10

Phil
10-05-2006, 06:46 AM
Hmmm. Cinema 4D has always given me trouble everytime I've used it, demos or anything else. It has always blown up when trying to load some string table (localisation support, I guess).

It's for NewTek to state why the demo is taking so long for 9.0, but your vendor/local distributor should also be able to duplicate one of the 9.0 CDs so that you can at least run the (overly neutered) discovery version.

For existing LW 8.x users, I believe that the 9.0 packages are available for download. With your dongle plugged in during install, you get a reasonable period of full 9.0 operation in which to evaluate the upgrade.

Chuck
10-05-2006, 07:12 AM
NewTek's LightWave v9 Trial Edition will be made available once the content to make it the best possible user experience is completed; given that the content work still has sufficient time to completion, it will likely also be the case that when released the Trial Edition version will be the first post v9 release.

Chuck
10-05-2006, 07:14 AM
For existing LW 8.x users, I believe that the 9.0 packages are available for download. With your dongle plugged in during install, you get a reasonable period of full 9.0 operation in which to evaluate the upgrade.

Yes, indeed! :)

frantbk
10-05-2006, 09:28 AM
NewTek's LightWave v9 Trial Edition will be made available once the content to make it the best possible user experience is completed; given that the content work still has sufficient time to completion, it will likely also be the case that when released the Trial Edition version will be the first post v9 release.

What about the lightwave 64 bite demo? I was told last Dec. that I would see it in January or a little later. That was a year ago are we going to see a demo for 64 bite? The other major players already have their demos out, heck Maxon has the demo for ver 10 out, I know this because I just downloaded it.

Need a little more information from NewTek to keep me interested.

pumeco
10-07-2006, 07:10 AM
Thank's for the info.

I'm pleased to hear NewTek have an "Open Beta" strategy, I think that can only be a good thing.

As for the availability of 8, and the fact that 9 is only available to registered users, I suppose I'll just have to bite the bullet a little longer. If 9 is here soon then I might as well wait for that.

I've got to say; coming from a Cinema 4D background, getting into LightWave through the 7.5 demo isn't exactly awe inspiring, so it's a relief to hear from Chuck, those words 'bout the demo included "content". I've slowly but surely gotten to like LightWave, but I tell ya, those old demos aren't doing LightWave any favours. If I weren't so persistent in giving the thing a good thrashing, then I'd have just disregarded it - luckily for me, I didn't.

I look forward to the updated demo/content, and a purchase of LightWave in the very near future.

Cheers :thumbsup: