PDA

View Full Version : Shake for less than 600$!!!

HuGE
10-04-2006, 11:13 AM
For those who didn't know, Apple has lower the price of Shake from 3000$ to 500$. When I saw that I jumped on it. I've wanted to upgrade my DFX+ 4 to Fusion 5.0, but the cost was too high, so high that months ago I was already tempted by Shake (at 2000$). When they dropped the price, I jumped on it without thinking. I'm used to be a PC freak until I've needed a really good DVD mastering software. Before Sony Architect is what it is now, the only good thing under 2000$ was DVD Studio Pro, the only one able to do multi angles (9, the maximum) in this price range. In fact for less than 1500$, I bought Final Cut Studio (Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Motion, Live type, Sound Track Pro). All this to say that this is why I've added a Mac in my team.

Shake doesn't have all the advantages of Fusion, but neither does Fusion compare to Shake. It depends of what you wanna do. But at this price range, it's a no brainer. For the price of the upgrade of Fusion, you can almost buy Shake and an I-Mac or a Mac Book (a second station for Lightwave).

Enjoy: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=MA434Z/A
also: http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9001383

lunarcamel
10-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Is this news - I thought I heard about this a while ago.

I was under the impression development on Shake was going to stop as well.

(Which doesnt matter since they killed it by selling to Crapple :) Cool app though! )

Signal to Noise
10-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Yes. The price reduction is very old news. And yes, Shake is supposedly being dropped by Apple.

Phil
10-04-2006, 01:11 PM
The price reduction doesn't apply to the linux version either, sadly. The fate of Shake under Apple also means that the linux version will probably be killed along with the OSX one. The Windows version was of course was first to the chopping block, in a particularly telling gesture from Apple.

Here's hoping that Fusion 5.1 surfaces soon, complete with shiny Linux version. Then all we need is LightWave :)

HuGE
10-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Yes. The price reduction is very old news. And yes, Shake is supposedly being dropped by Apple.

NNOOOOOO!!!!!! :bangwall: Don't kill me! Do you know where I can have more infos about the drop out of Apple?

Sorry for the old news, I was prisonner of my editing work in the batcave for the last 6 months, over full time, for the pleasure of the audience. TV sucks! sometimes...:)

norlight
10-05-2006, 01:14 AM
Itīs not even a rumour, Apple themselves have stated that there will be no more development on Shake...

What is a bit more uncertain is whats going to replace it.

Rumourmill speaks of a product codenamed Phenomenon, with estimated release 2008 as I recall.

My 2 c

Red_Oddity
10-05-2006, 02:22 AM
By that time maybe Toxic or Fusion 6 may be an alternative :p

jasonwestmas
10-10-2006, 03:55 PM
I just want to use what most people are using. . . lame, but I really just care about what comes out of the app. Any suggestions?

Horace
10-11-2006, 04:28 AM
YEa that is old news, sorry dude :thumbsup:

jeremyhardin
10-11-2006, 04:51 AM
I just want to use what most people are using. . . lame, but I really just care about what comes out of the app. Any suggestions?

Fusion, Shake, and Nuke are my only recommendations. Any others are just to limiting and inefficient, IMHO.

Signal to Noise
10-11-2006, 07:58 AM
I got eyeon's DFX+ (poor man's Fusion ;) ) free with a LW order a few years ago. I must say it's pretty darn good. I could just imagine what Fusion would be like. :)

jasonwestmas
10-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Awesome, Thanks guys!

head worm
10-16-2006, 04:50 AM
I think it's fairly common knowledge that Shake will not be killed off but will be incorporated into a future release of Final Cut Pro as part of the "Pro" package.

Apple have done exactly the same thing with Soundtrack Pro and similar things will Logic Pro, incorporating previously expensive standalone plugins as part of the standard package (Space Designer cost more than Logic itself until it was included for free!)

It's all part of their quest for total world domination at the expense of every other software developer. Is this fair? No. Is it legal? Probaby not. Are Apple Microsoft and so does anyone care? Probably not either.