PDA

View Full Version : A rough landing

Plakkie
10-04-2006, 03:00 AM
It's a bit ambitious, but I want to crashland an object on a landscape. I'm having problems figuring out how to distort the landscape.
The object is supposed to make a large trench (remember Startrek Generations?) as it slides over the surface. Does anyone know a good technique or tutorial?

So far I tried:
-reading the snowtrail tutorial by Andy Nicholas, but I found it rather complex
-clipmapping two objects, one with trench and one without, influenced by gradients and a null object. Problem there: once the null passes the start of the trench 'fills up again' because it influence wears of.

I'd like to have a way to morph the two landscapes (same poly/point-count) I've got based on one axis...
:help:

Plakkie
10-04-2006, 03:19 AM
OK, I've found out how to make one of my landscapes into a morph of the other. Now: is there way in which the amount of morph is driven by a null object? I only have an envelopebutton with morphs...

JamesCurtis
10-04-2006, 07:19 AM
If you have LW9 there is a sample scene that shows a bug distorting a rug as it moves underneath. [BugInRug.lws in Displacment directory]

You may be able to use an image sequence in the object displacement channel.

I'm sure there are other ways too that i can't think of right at the moment.

Plakkie
10-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Hi James, thanks for helping: it's easy to forget LW content for problemsolving. I looked at that scene and it gave me some ideas. I just achieved some nice results: using a displacement standard plugin called "Relativity Morph Expression Module" (sounds impressive eh?) I managed to make the morph react to a null. By moving the null with the crashing object I get a nice animated trench.

So in the process I discovered 3 new buttons and made a functional expression that works too! I feel quite the man. :thumbsup: