PDA

View Full Version : Is there an expression for...?

Plakkie
10-04-2006, 01:56 AM
I know nearly nothing about expressions, although enough to know that they can be powerfull. Could anyone with more knowledge help me with this:

I'm currently trying to make a distant spacebattle without the need to animate every ship in it. I've got lowpoly ships linked to particles which are moving randomly 'cause of a wind emitter. Now I want some random flashes of light appearing now and then. I've linked some lights to the moving particles. Instead of making envelopes for all those lights and making them blink once in a while on different times I really hope there is an expression that can do this for me.
The lights need to flare up at random intervalls. The flare should preferably not go 'on-off' but make an arch in say 6/7 frames. Then it should be doing nothing for a time and then flare up again, etc.

Does anyone know a magic spell for my problem? :help:

Plakkie
10-05-2006, 08:15 AM
People, you don't understand: I'm a complete noob concerning expressions! I neeeeed your help! :D

Puguglybonehead
10-05-2006, 09:21 AM
I think what you're looking for is LScripts. You should post a question under LScript Discussions (http://www.newtek.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30). Unfortunately, I'm a total noob at stuff like that, myself.

T-Light
10-05-2006, 09:32 AM
I'd do it in post plakkie, you'll have a lot more control over the flares, duration, brightness, glows, explosions etc. You don't even need expensive software such as dfx or afterfx either, there are very cheap alternatives on the market and if you're lucky you might find some for free. There was one called DV???? (something or other), the name escapes me, it was a terrific little piece of software and it was given away on a mag coverdisk a couple of years ago.

Pomfried
10-05-2006, 09:46 AM
I know two free tools for post work on your videos:
1) Wax http://www.debugmode.com/wax/
2) Jashaka http://www.jahshaka.org/

I haven't used them much, only played around a little with Wax, but considering they're free (or even open source), they do a fine job :).
As far as I remember Wax even had some Chroma-Keying stuff in it.

Plakkie
10-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Post production... That's an idea... Save's a lot of headaches. Thanks for bringing it up, and also thanks for the links. Looks interesting. Open source is really gaining ground.
I'm curious if there is a way to create what I want easy in LW, so I'll post my question on the Lscript section too.
:thumbsup:

Puguglybonehead
10-05-2006, 11:52 PM
I'd do it in post plakkie, you'll have a lot more control over the flares, duration, brightness, glows, explosions etc. You don't even need expensive software such as dfx or afterfx either, there are very cheap alternatives on the market and if you're lucky you might find some for free. There was one called DV???? (something or other), the name escapes me, it was a terrific little piece of software and it was given away on a mag coverdisk a couple of years ago.

Are you thinking of AlamDV? It has since metamorphesized into a suite of very trick (but inexpensive) applications. I myself could never justify purchasing Combustion or AfterEffects, but the apps on this site look to be getting a lot of use from independent filmmakers: FXHome (http://fxhome.com/products/range.html)

Phil
10-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Relativity can probably be pressed into service here. I'm away from a machine with LW on (*faint*), but will see if I can knock an example up later today.

Plakkie
10-06-2006, 01:47 AM
That would be great Phil: I'm on a tight schedule and it would safe me so much time: I'd have an instant spacebattle to drop behind my high detail ships. I'd appreciate your effort!

pooby
10-06-2006, 02:54 AM
You can use texured channel in the modifiers tab of the envelope..
This will work, you can use the randomness of a texture like 'dented' to affect the light intensity.

T-Light
10-06-2006, 03:58 AM
Puguglybonehead -

Are you thinking of AlamDV?
Yes, that was the critter, thanks :)

Plakkie, if you do it in post, there's no need to re-render all the shots if you're not happy with the initial results, it's a huge time saver.