PDA

View Full Version : Dual Core Intels better that Athlons 64's?

badllarma
10-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Hi just wondering if any one using the 6600 and 6700 Dual Core intels over Athlon 64's ? Any improvents on render times etc.....

Exception
10-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Hm, i chose a e6600 over an amd64, because of price/performance... this is all based on all the reviews that are out there.
I love amd, now is just not the time to buy one :(

Bitboy
10-04-2006, 12:45 AM
For comparison:

I have a AMD X2 4800+ and a Intel Core Duo 2 E6700. 4 GB RAM in each system.

My last rendertimes with the same scene was ~10m:20s for the AMD X2, and ~8m:20s for the Intel Core Duo 2. So I'd say go for the Intel instead :)

The rendertimes are not precise because I'm going by memory right know - so it could be a little off in terms of seconds.

badllarma
10-04-2006, 02:06 AM
Intresting info gents I've a Athlon 4400 x2 already but looking at a highter spec machine (for after Christmas now) for using as my Lightwave/4.6 (soon VT5) system and thought that intel may finally catching the boat again.

Looking over the net the Intel Core Duo 2 E6700 was catching my eye. I've a big HD video project in April that will demand the fastest I can afford so currently looking into system specs hence the question.

thanks for the info

andy

sammael
10-04-2006, 02:40 AM
I recently got an e6600, it seems great. Im running it overclocked 800mhz on the stock heatsink and temps are below 40o c under full load.
As far as just a stock cpu, you just need to look around the web to see that the e6600 & e6700 will outperform AMD's top of the line fx62 chip and at around 1/3 the price. I chose the e6600 over the 6700 because it was substantually cheaper & not worth the minimal performance gain imo. As it stands my chip is running faster than an e6800 anyway.
Im an AMD man as well but im realy happy with this new intel chip, have not had a problem with my new system yet except for the standard windows problems of course.

hrgiger
10-04-2006, 03:17 AM
Yes, I had ready recently that AMD was outperforming the intel chip but that Intel has turned the tide with their latest chips.

habaņero
10-04-2006, 03:21 AM
I have seen some rendering benchmarks where the price performance aint that obvious as one should think from the buzz ... Some of which is dubious, like Toms hardware comparing overclocked intels with non-overclocked AMDs ... You can get a 800 mhz overclock on an AMD as well. Intel currently sits on the fastest chip, but you can get good deals on Amd as well, particularly in the low budget segment ... "You have a choice" so to say ...

What I would recommend though for an intel rig would be the mac pro. Even ships with a a proper OS, not that you can't run the monopolist OS on it as well. It also is possible to upgrade to quad cores if you buy now.

-EsHrA-
10-04-2006, 05:44 AM
do the new athlon chipsets now have the sse2 optimisation?

mlon

habaņero
10-04-2006, 08:54 AM
"Haha, good luck to anyone buying into apple hardware. Just good luck."

Don't need any more luck, I already have lots thank you. Obviously no mac people make money, and no PC people lose money, Brilliant analysis. I didn't intend a piss contest but I used computers since I was 7, all MS and using OSX is just plain and simple better for all normal usage, from office productivity to security to hardware to backup to coding and so on. I don't laugh at people with a different opinion, but I value a lot that I haven't had to put up with what I would call "crap" yet with OSX, eg. hardware and software acting "non-standard". Not that I think it doesn't exist or that you can expect troublefree computing with neither an apple nor a PC - but the proportions and the time needed for maintenance are the key.

Generally speaking, when I see an XP rig at family or friends place or maybe at work, its quite usual that they are bloated, nearly sabotaged running at down to half speed or lower from the necessary standard solutions to AV, and still with blatant security problems. The OS also behaves in a way so that normal people become unhappy computer users even if they are doing ok - it bugs, annoys and confuses unexperienced users with MS paperclip-like logic while on the other hand the basic stuff like file copy (which gives up, drops anything in its hands and runs at the least encountered resistance), or say partitioning (XPs native tools sometimes delete more partitions than specified ...! I saw this happen as lately as today). Shortly when I expressed that I consider OSX a proper OS and XP not, its a qualified statement and a fair representation of my own experience with both systems.

I obviously aint done with XP, I use it a lot on my MBP and I know how to make it work the way I want. But its more work, more maintenance and more paid for third party tools to make it so. OSX is up at 70-80% out of the box.

Exception
10-04-2006, 10:15 AM
As long as anyone is going for a Core Duo 2, be very careful with your motherboard selection... I have an MSI 975X Platinum Powerup Edition and it left the factory without them having a proper bios for it. There's a new one every couple of days now. MSI is a good brand, but ASUS and Abit have similar issues with these boards. Looks like they're falling over eachother to get those boards into the stores. I have some issues with booting properly and some strange devices floating around in the manager. Once it's running, it's very stable, but it took some time to get there. Also, I can't really overclock it that much with the new bios. It just locks up at 5% over stock, which is nuttin.

Again, be weary, and carefully read the reviews and recommendations. At least MSI tech support is blazingly fast and proper...

badllarma
10-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Please stick to the subject or don't bother posting. No flame wars please.
cheers

habaņero
10-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Neverko, I don't have any good comment to your answer or general problem with macs. I aint able to judge character as well as you from forum posts either ...

I recommended a particular apple model with intel processors and OSX 10.4 as well as XP, not all models and systems back to appleII. I don't think your experience with other machines means that the machine I mentioned is bad, as mentioned I am not in the wild about all OSes or hardware makers having issues, apple included... You seem to have won the lottery big ... Then that wasn't my point, I aint fascinated by apple Hype, but by saving lots of time each day doing "normal" computer stuff in OSX (with the incredible quicksilver) and I experience avesome stability as well both on XP and particularly OSX. I mean if I wanted XP to do the same for me as OSX does, working perfect with my phone, etc etc I would by experience expect some hickups that I must say I haven't done in OSX. Then I obviously run LW in XP given the universal LW is still due and I have a well working workflow.

If I can get more things done faster on the machine, its pretty much why I invest in fast hardware as well ... I use the XP partition as a "workstation" and the OSX one for office tasks, email, internet and the like and its frickin perfect. I reason I could have gotten the same render performance far cheaper, but subjectively this mac is effectively a quad core already *for me*.

I think generalizing anything or trusting brands when it comes to computers are an unsafe strategy be it good or bad, apple or PC ... I always check first and I don't buy 1.0 (or rather I do it sometimes, and then generally become miserable ... ). I even don't trust reviews too much, it seems they sometimes get special hardware or at least those people at Anandtech or Toms hardware seems to magically dodge some bullets that affect everyone else ...

As mentioned I don't believe in computing without issues, but I believe strongly in making sure I am having the issues I have together with as large a group of people as possible ... As an example my cousin bought a super cheap toshiba laptop on a special "limited number of machines" sale. This turned out to be the rest of a discontinued french market model, that had been reinstalled with a norwegian XP over the net from Taiwan. It of course shipped with problems like CD burning broken etc etc, all of them simple but giant pita without hits in google. I mean there are companies like Boxx that depend on a good name as well, I would trust them more than say, asus, but I just have learnt to research, research, research.

If you get an unstable computer, it won't matter if you got the processor that have a 10% edge in most cases ... "Issues" as we all knows eats hours and days, and can affect the output that is supposed to pay for the investment in computing power far worse than 10% ...