PDA

View Full Version : Dissapearing SHLB's

Lowly Designer
10-02-2006, 04:09 AM
Hi folks,

anyone had this problem with LW9:

I have multiple versions of LW installed on my MAC G52gig, OSX 10.4.8, which hasn't caused me any probs, (unless I forget to close the HUB down when switching versions), but it seems that when I download an update patch for the OS and install it some of the shared libs in the progs folder of LW9 vanish without trace. To get LW working again I have to go back to my downloaded installer and extract the relevant libs from the archived package then replace them in the progs folder.

I have had this happen with other apps as well after an update, which leads me to the conclusion that it's some bizzarre sys update conflict/occurance which causes it. As far as I'm aware I don't run anything unusual on my machine just the run of the mill design apps.

Unfortunately I'm not the greatest mind on sys probs so I may be missing something obvious which hopefully someone here can point out.

Any help appreciated,
regards
LD

Chilton
10-02-2006, 07:12 AM
This should be impossible. The programs folder for LW should remain constant, even as the northern star. I'd say there's something fishy afoot. Let me know if this ever happens again.

Do this:
1) Go to the Finder
2) Open the NewTek folder in Applications
3) Set the view to list mode (not column or icon)
4) Select all (cmd+a)
5) Hold down the option key
6) Click ONCE on the topmost disclosure triangle
-- This should expand all of the folders in that window. Now...

1) Select all (cmd+a)
2) Copy
-- you can close this window at this point
3) Open TextEdit.app
4) Click on the Format menu and select 'Make Plain Text'
5) Paste
6) Save it somewhere secure.

Now you have a complete list of every file in that folder. If this happens again, compare it. If they are different, email me immediately ( [email protected] ), because something (and not our software) is chewing up the folder. Something bad. Something EVIL....

But it's probably nothing.

-Chilton

Lowly Designer
10-03-2006, 02:31 AM
Hi Chilton,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes this has happened several times - I'm not saying that the OS update has definately caused this problem but it does seem to coincide with it rather eerily.

Files that disappear from the folder have been files such as:

volume9.shlb
crender9.shlb
enved9.shlb

These are the few I can remember from memory the last time it happened however I will follow your suggestion and make a copy of the filenames to compare.

One other thing to note has been the re-naming of filenames as well. I have had instances of filenames changing and strange spaces or even a period placed in the middle of the filename thus rendering the file unrecognisable by LW.

I'm now praying that this doesn't sound like I'm a complete fool who doesn't know what his Mac is doing and that there is some simple and obvious explanation that i'm missing.

If there is any other info you need let me know and I'll send it to you.

Regards
LD

John the Geek
10-03-2006, 07:43 AM
One other thing to note has been the re-naming of filenames as well. I have had instances of filenames changing and strange spaces or even a period placed in the middle of the filename thus rendering the file unrecognisable by LW.

Do you see this happen as you look at it, or do you find it that way later? I've seen some very wonky things in my time.

It sounds like you may have some serious directory issues to fix. I suggest backing up everything and then running Disk Utility from your Mac OS X Install DVD. If it finds too many errors, or cannot fix the errors, wipe the hard drive and start over. You'll be much better off in the long run.

I just had this problem with a friends G4 tower where it just decided to stop booting one day. I fixed her directory last month, and this time it had errors again. Nothing good can come from a house built on bad foundation. I backed her data up (cloned the drive to an external Firewire drive with the app "SuperDuper") and wiped the internal drive. It's faster now and I feel much more confident that it wont come back.

Lowly Designer
10-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks John,

Unfortunately that seems to be the only solution these days to wipe the mac and start again! :-( . However I don't feel that in this instance, that is an issue, as Disk utility can't find any errors and I usually run a tidy machine and frequently do disk utility checks over the drive when something changes.

I do try and remain meticulous with housekeeping although I admit it seems a lot harder to housekeep an OSX machine than the old OS9 (those were the days... drifts into a hazy remembrance state), especially since Norton is virtually useless and other utility apps just seem to drop dead at the thought of 500GB+ HD sizes or booting from an OSX CD/DVD just makes them drag...
I don't even keep my working files on my internal system HD they are all stored on seperate volumes so there is not a great mass of files swamping the HD just apps and system the rest is free and if OSX can't manage that I just don't know what's going on???
Luckily if My machine does decide to give up the ghost as you suggest it's not too much trouble to put right as there are no WIP files on the drive.

The next time it happens I will definately make a log of what disappears and what I have to do to fix it.

SuperDuper sounds like a great utility must check it out.

Regards
LD

Lowly Designer
11-22-2006, 02:50 AM
Still having those problems with disappearing files.

This time its plugin's, what a pain this is becoming, there is something very wrong about this and I can't determine what it is.

Edgetool.p vanished from the modeler tools

So I investigated my plugins folder, and discovered that out of the original 53 files several were mysteriously gone. So i thought i'd check all the plugins folders and lo and behold more files missing.

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? anyone?

It doesnt seem to have any relationship to system updates as I first thought (which did worry me), however it only seems to affect LW, none of my other apps seem to have this problem. The only reason I noticed it was due to a plugin not working. As with most LW users I presume I don't use all of the plugins or features of LW by far and so it takes just a chance encounter for me to notice things dont work so god knows how long it's been missing.

Finally it seems as though it has also taken to renaming the files as well, Lwtools9.shlb turned into Lwtoo~.shlb strange eh?

Help please!! :-)

Lowly

avkills
11-22-2006, 03:15 AM
What type of file system are you using for OS X? It should be HFS+ either with Journaling on or off. If you are using UFS (Unix File System) then I would say that is your primary problem. I thought at one point it would be cool to use UFS; it caused nothing but problems with Pro Apps.

Nothing should do anything to any files in the Newtek folder except LW.

-mark

Lowly Designer
11-22-2006, 07:41 AM
Yup! I'm using HFS+ never used the UFS system as I heard it was a pain and caused probs with other apps.

NickLambert
11-22-2006, 07:50 AM
It sounds like you may have some serious directory issues to fix.

I agree, back it up, clone the effected drive to an external Firewire drive with SuperDuper & even swap the drives, can be faster :D