PDA

View Full Version : where is shading noise reduction?

lw3d23
10-01-2006, 05:11 AM
except the one in main menu , where is shading noise reduction located in LW9?

toby
10-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Render Globals -> Render - > Make Ugly - > Noise Reduction

I've never seen an instance where it was useful - it adds time to the render, and all it does is like a Gaussian blur on the shadows, which doesn't look good.

Turning the light quality up instead is either faster or looks better at about the same speed, and sometimes both.

The sharper image here has no shading noise reduction and rendered 4 seconds faster (10%) at the same quality level. There is a tiny bit of graininess, but this amount actually helps it look more real. The blurry shadows in the other image are what you get in return for your patience :bangwall:

Anti-Distinctly
10-02-2006, 07:31 AM
It blurs the diffuse channel I think. I dont use it anymore as I prefer the grain. If you're after a more 'artistic' look (whatever that means) it may be ok.
Yes. Better GI, please, but thats a whole different thread.

kmaas
10-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Hey, I've used it before (especially on one certain project), and it helped a lot. The shadows were supposed to be blurry, and I had a tight render time budget, although the scene was lit by (IIRC) two area lights and a linear light. It pretty much saved me from having really bad flickering in the shading. So, it's not ALWAYS bad. Only sometimes.

toby
10-02-2006, 01:39 PM
I just did another test, it even blurs a sharp raytrace shadow from a distant light! Looks like it's blurring the shadow buffer.

toby
10-02-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm sure it's only the shadows that get blurred, I've got a fine detail texture map here and it's identical with or without SNR if there's no shadow on it. Or do you mean it blurs everything within the shadow? More tests...

BazC
10-03-2006, 12:43 AM
It wrecks the bump channel too so I think theres more to it than blurring the shadow buffer.

toby
10-03-2006, 01:40 AM
Wow, you're right! It does blur the diffuse too, I had my map in the color channel, which was unaffected. Blah! SNR = :devil: