PDA

View Full Version : anyone tried APS_PerPolygon.avi

viewnathan
10-01-2006, 04:13 AM
Is there anyone who succeeded in getting the aps function to work as in the APS_PerPolygon.avi tutorial on the newtek website?
In my case Lightwave keeps switching back to subpatch 1 because it cannot produce the enormous increased polygon density.
In the tute is not described how he gets to the landscape mountains from a flat plane...to me it seems that APS should also work on a flat plane...
Anyone?

i posted this first in General Support but i guess it belongs here...LW9

sammael
10-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Try starting at a lower subdivision and working your way up to more detailed, say min 2, max 10. Then test various subd amounts from there by increasing the max value. I know it works on a flat plain with uv mapping because I have tried it... not sure about planar but I would say that it does.

WilliamVaughan
10-01-2006, 09:31 PM
what value are you typing in?

what does your gradient look like?

erikals
10-03-2006, 07:29 AM
Hi, worked fine here when I tested it, however it sounds like the problem is not related to APS, but to too high polycount. Try Sammael's method and see if it fixes it.

viewnathan
10-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Ok igot it to work! It was the distance to the object what was wrong...thanx for the support!
But now i see the result im in doubt about the usability.
My problem is that you can see the subdivide amount change in front of the moving camera especialy the way the light bounces of the surface.
If i want to avoid this i need to make the range so big that there is allmost no advantage. Does anyone have a cleaver solution to this problem?

erikals
10-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Hmm, interesting question.

If I'm right, in this case what you need to do is to use "APS that is controlled via a weightmap".
Using APS in any other way will (and should) regenerate the mesh, and therefore cause distorion to the mesh.

Here's some vids on APS, take esp. a look at the one that is "9.7MB" in filesize.
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/videos.php

Hope this helps :)