PDA

View Full Version : Animated GIF's

bdmovies
09-30-2006, 02:07 PM
How does the CG react to animated gifs?

kltv
10-02-2006, 12:11 PM
I would guess if it opens them at all it would just show you the first frame. I'm very sure that it wouldn't animate them. You could give it a try though.

Kris

bdmovies
10-02-2006, 06:25 PM
I thought about it a little more...to animate a gif there has to be HTML code with it...so I'm gonna guess not.

billmi
10-03-2006, 08:02 AM
A GIF doesn't need HTML to be animated, but it does need to be a GIF. The VT CG software generates a PNG to be displayed, and PNG does not support animation like GIF does, which is the kicker that keeps the CG page from having the animation that was in the original GIF.

If you want to bring in an animated GIF for a logo bug or something like that, you can use Aura to convert it to another format, such as RTV, and roll that in a DDR for live work, or overlay it in VTEdit for post work.

bdmovies
10-03-2006, 10:10 AM
I was almost sure that the animation of a GIF is through HTMl, if not what does animate it?

kltv
10-03-2006, 10:43 AM
I was almost sure that the animation of a GIF is through HTMl, if not what does animate it?

It's part of the GIF file format. You can drag and drop an animated GIF into Internet Explorer and it will animate. It doesn't need any HTML code to tell it what to do. It is all part of the file.

Kris

SBowie
10-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Correct. You can load the .gif file into Aura as has been suggested, and then convert it to something more suitable for VT-Edit (such as AVI with alpha, a PNG sequence, whatever.)