Hi Tony,

10.4.8 here. No problems so far.

-Chilton

juanjgon
09-30-2006, 05:51 PM
No problems here, all works fine ....

amigo
09-30-2006, 06:58 PM
10.4.8 on a Mac Pro, it's working well, first time it rebooted before getting to GUI, but then it was just fine.

geck
09-30-2006, 07:41 PM
All good here.

Tony3d
09-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys. Guess I'll throw it on.

Darth Mole
10-01-2006, 03:36 AM
Wow! I've found OpenGL is at least THREE times faster in Layout, and render times have dropped by about 35%!!!

Nah, only kidding. No change, as usual. (Although I do feel a bit sexier.)

pixym
10-01-2006, 06:56 AM
Nothing wrong here...

parm
10-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Wow! I've found OpenGL is at least THREE times faster in Layout, and render times have dropped by about 35%!!!

Nah, only kidding. No change, as usual. (Although I do feel a bit sexier.)

Ah! you nearly got me there.

Question is: Is there a good reason to update?

jeremyhardin
10-01-2006, 03:23 PM
all good here.

Darth Mole
10-02-2006, 02:09 AM
Question is: Is there a good reason to update?

There maybe some good stuff buried deep within the Mac's brain, but I can't honestly say it feels any different...

Apart from the sexiness issue which now, unfortunately, seems to have resolved itself. Though that could just be Monday mornings.

dsol
10-02-2006, 06:45 AM
This is a warning for all Mac OSX after effects 7 users (it may affect earlier versions of AE as well). I've just installed the update to 10.4.8 of OSX and AE is now horribly unstable. It keeps locking up in a error loop reporting memory errors (ie. it can't allocate RAM to functions). This is on a Quad G5 with 4GB RAM, which was working flawlessly before the update.

Be very wary about installing this system update until this issue is resolved. I'm trying to find the AE7 bug report form to let the Adobe Team know about this. I'm praying it's a quick fix :(

LW seems unaffected so far - thank god!

KPS
10-03-2006, 11:08 AM
All good, No problems.

LSlugger
11-14-2006, 12:33 AM
I'm resurrecting an old thread, here, but it's only recently that I've seen benchmarks (http://www.macworld.com/2006/11/firstlooks/rosetta/index.php) showing a significant performance improvement for Rosetta in 10.4.8. I only see one set of Intel Mac benchmarks at Chris's LightWave Benchmarks (http://www.blanos.com/benchmark/). Has anyone noticed a difference?

dglidden
11-14-2006, 09:38 AM
I'm resurrecting an old thread, here, but it's only recently that I've seen benchmarks (http://www.macworld.com/2006/11/firstlooks/rosetta/index.php) showing a significant performance improvement for Rosetta in 10.4.8. I only see one set of Intel Mac benchmarks at Chris's LightWave Benchmarks (http://www.blanos.com/benchmark/). Has anyone noticed a difference?

I haven't specifically seen anything because my new MBP came with 10.4.8 on it already, but the official word from Apple is that you can expect up to 30% performance increase under Rosetta with 10.4.8 over previous versions. I've also read articles that seem to imply that 10.4.8 also supports emulation of Altivec, but I haven't seen any official word from apple on that.

gstonebank
11-14-2006, 10:06 AM

Those benchmarks were probably mine.

On Chris's site my benchmark for the teapot scene was 183.4 sec when I was running 10.4.7. I since upgraded to 10.4.8 & I just reran the benchmark giving me 162 sec. So an improvement but not 30%. When I have some time I will run the rest of them.

Noclar7
11-14-2006, 01:27 PM
to dsol, re AE7 stability.

I have to say though dsol, on my macbook pro, AE7 is performing very well under the new update as is photoshop. This is such a nice upgrade for us intel users who have been and will still be waiting for CS3.

RJ

dsol
11-15-2006, 07:27 AM
to dsol, re AE7 stability.

I have to say though dsol, on my macbook pro, AE7 is performing very well under the new update as is photoshop. This is such a nice upgrade for us intel users who have been and will still be waiting for CS3.

RJ

Oooo... sorry you reminded me. I isolated the problem. It wasn't specifically AE7 - it was an incompatibility in the new OS update with some of the third-party quicktime codecs I had installed. After I stripped out a few of the ones I didn't need (things like the Avid and Media100 codecs) everything worked OK again.

Though as a caveat, I feel I should point out that AE7 is less stable than 6.5. I'll put up with its quirks though 'cos the new interface is so **** nice!

Noclar7
11-15-2006, 12:16 PM
'cos the new interface is so **** nice!

I would love to have every apps like this. Especilly LW with its gazillion tab interface. Macromedia figured this out. hopefully CS3 will reflect some of the same interface changes.

dsol
11-15-2006, 07:11 PM
I would love to have every apps like this. Especilly LW with its gazillion tab interface. Macromedia figured this out. hopefully CS3 will reflect some of the same interface changes.

This is the only tangle benefit to end users (so far) of the Adobe/Macromedia merger - there's no longer any conflict of patents regarding user interfaces between the two companies. I seem to remember various aspects of tabbed interfaces and sticky windows being patented by both companies to the point where they were both suing each other previously.

Though CS3 will no doubt benefit from this internal sharing of patents, don't expect other apps from other vendors (like Newtek) to follow suit. The threat of litigation from the new Adobe/Macromedia juggernaut must be rather daunting. It's a very unhealthy situation for all other software producers. The only sure way to avoid patent infringement (short of developing entirely new UI paradigms) is to use the stock UI components of OSX and Windows. Microsoft and Apple are the only companies large enough to stand up to the new Adobe/Macromedia behemoth.

But I should state: even given the patent-ridden nature of UI design, there's still plenty of refinements that could be done to the LW interface that won't infringe on anyone's IP

wesleycorgi
11-16-2006, 02:37 PM
When I upgraded to 10.4.8, I could no longer access my MacBook Pro from a PC. I'm the lone Mac guy in an office of 250, so I am unsupported and have to figure out things on my on. I need this connectivity as a bridged to any company servers.

On the Apple forums, folks stipulated it was the increased security code incorporated in the Mac OS. Also, I read on the MacWindows site about there were reports confirming my problem.

So I downgraded back to my original installation discs and then upgraded back up only to 10.4.7.

byte_fx
11-16-2006, 03:24 PM
That's intertesting.

Haven't seen that on my Mac Pro <-> PC setup.

The Mac Pro has 10.4.8 and the PC has the basic XP SP2 install right off the cd. Didn't bother updating as it doesn't connect to the Internet.

byte_fx