PDA

View Full Version : What's your current MacOS version?

Chilton
09-30-2006, 07:13 AM
Right now, what version of the MacOS do you use?

Do you plan on upgrading to Leopard, and if so, when?

Thanks,
-Chilton

Chilton
09-30-2006, 07:21 AM
I mainly use Leopard, but that's *because* it's flakey. I've found that if it works in Leopard, (and if it's not a Leopard specific function), it will definitely run in Tiger.

But I'm curious--what are our users actually using right now? And when Leopard ships (assuming you'll eventually buy it), do you plan on buying it immediately, or are you waiting for a dot release to buy it?

Thanks,
-Chilton

dsol
09-30-2006, 07:22 AM
(voted)

Using Tiger. Not a huge difference between it and Panther though - and Spotlight is hugely annoying if you have more than a terabyte of storage. It is the cause of much random freezing I suspect ;)

I really hope Time Machine in Leopard doesn't prove an equal resource hog 'cos otherwise it sounds teh awesome :)
(and yes, by that I'm implying that I will likely be upgrading to Leopard once it's out - and as soon as I've seen some reviews)

jeremyhardin
09-30-2006, 07:46 AM
I use tiger (and quite enjoy spotlight; I use it to open apps even. saves space on my dock when I just use spotlight to type a few letters of the app name and open it from there). I do only have 300ish gigs of storage though.

I'll update to Leopard at the next point release. Never trust your freelance career to an OS's first iteration. :D

Chilton
09-30-2006, 08:12 AM
I use tiger (and quite enjoy spotlight; I use it to open apps even. saves space on my dock when I just use spotlight to type a few letters of the app name and open it from there). I do only have 300ish gigs of storage though.

I'll update to Leopard at the next point release. Never trust your freelance career to an OS's first iteration. :D

One thing I noticed at WWDC this year was how all of the Apple engineers used spotlight specifically to launch apps. In most cases, if they were searching for a piece of source code or something, they'd use XCode's search. But if they wanted to launch an app, spotlight was *the* way they'd do it.

Spotlight is a crap shoot on my system though. Apps it finds just fine, but it seems to miss most of the files with the content I'm interested in.

-Chilton

eidetiken
09-30-2006, 08:14 AM
I have Leopard, only use it for a 64bit port for a UB of another program. Just because it runs on Leopard doesn't mean it will act the same in Tiger, even if you allow for some of the Leopard specific stuff. Leopard has some wacky stuff. Yes I signed an NDA. I run Lightwave on a 32bit iMac with 10.4.8 now. I won't install Leopard on the iMac till its a point upgrade. Besides, the MacPro I have isn't mine; wished it was. What I'm doing isn't as graphic intensive as Lightwave, would like to try writing some Lightwave plugins but that depends greatly on your SDK.

Chilton
09-30-2006, 09:07 AM
I have Leopard, only use it for a 64bit port for a UB of another program. Just because it runs on Leopard doesn't mean it will act the same in Tiger, even if you allow for some of the Leopard specific stuff.

That's certainly been my experience. I'm hoping the next version of the Leopard Preview clears up a few remaining (and very annoying) bugs. And the developer tools have some issues. But when they work, they work really, really well.

Leopard has some wacky stuff. Yes I signed an NDA. I run Lightwave on a 32bit iMac with 10.4.8 now.
Intel or PPC? Just curious.

...would like to try writing some Lightwave plugins but that depends greatly on your SDK.

I considered releasing an interim SDK, one that would let you write plug-ins in XCode, and which would let you run them in the CFM version of LightWave we're already shipping. The problem with this approach is that every second I'm working on an interim solution is a second I'm not working on the UB version. And all of those plug-ins would need to be recompiled to work in the UB LW anyway.

-Chilton

eidetiken
09-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Don't bother with an interim solution. If you're developing a UB ...THAT IS YOUR INTERIM solution. Once you get the UB right... you'll solve most if not all of everyones problems. Don't bother with an SDK version for CFM... because once you have the UB, CFM will no longer be used. Besides its a royal waist of time.

Developing for Intel Mac. Company I'm contracted with just switch from Windows to all Intel Macs.

Chilton
09-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Oh, and if you are using Panther ( I see that at least one person is ), do you plan on buying Leopard or Tiger in the near future?

I'm (obviously) trying to get a feel for the most likely OS our users are using now, and in the near future.

Thank you,
-Chilton

Scazzino
09-30-2006, 01:41 PM
But if they wanted to launch an app, spotlight was *the* way they'd do it.

I use Butler (http://www.petermaurer.de/nasi.php?section=butler) for that and more... I used it before Spotlight came out and even with Spotlight, I find Butler more streamlined for launching apps...

I'll upgrade to Leopard, but probably after the first point upgrade. I tend to run a point or two behind on OS upgrades to make sure there aren't any nasty surprises waiting for me. I'm currently running 10.4.6...

:thumbsup:

Scazzino
09-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Oh, and if you are using Panther ( I see that at least one person is ), do you plan on buying Leopard or Tiger in the near future?

I'm (obviously) trying to get a feel for the most likely OS our users are using now, and in the near future.

Thank you,
-Chilton

I'm running Tiger on my main work stations.

But I'm still running Panther on some of our render stations, since they are running LWSN fine and I haven't needed to upgrade them for any reason. I'd upgrade them if I had to, but if they run fine on Panther, then I'd leave them alone... if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it, I say...

:D

Ryhnio
09-30-2006, 02:14 PM
I just ran software update to grab 10.4.8. I plan on buying Leopard ASAP.

-Ryhnio

BazC
09-30-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm running 10.3.9, I haven't had any reason to update to Tiger until recently and now it's too close to my next Mac purchase. I'll be buying a new machine in the next few weeks which will obviously come with Tiger.

I'll most likely upgrade to Leopard but I'll wait to see how people get on with it. I particularly want to know how time machine works, how much HD it ties up and can you turn it off!

amigo
09-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Running Tiger.8 here, no problems at all.

Personally I am not that thrilled with Leopard's features, as demoed. Time Machine is nice and all, but what sparked most of my interest is Core Animation, and they didn't really go far into it.

I really hope Apple has far better things in store for Leopard, so that those "secret" features they couldn't tell us about really blow our minds. Otherwise if they don't lower the price, that point release upgrade just won't be worth it imho.

rakker16mm
09-30-2006, 11:32 PM

Thanks,
-Chilton

I'll probably give leopard a shot when it comes out. I have a dual 2 Ghz G5, and I would like to see if I can tell the difference in performance. On the other hand I'm waiting to upgrade from LW 8.5... so it all depends on what comes out first and how much $$$ I have to spend, and what jobs are on my hard drive.

toby
10-01-2006, 12:31 AM
10.4.4. Rarely see a reason to upgrade, I usually get them with a new computer, which should be in a couple months

Kuzey
10-01-2006, 05:03 AM
Who knows, by the time I get my new Mac it'll probably come pre installed with Leopard :D

Kuzey

HowardBerry
10-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Currently 10.4.8. I'll be getting Leopard when it's released.

3dworks
10-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Using 10.4.8 Tiger on all Macs now. We will upgrade to Leopard after the first fix release will be out, not before. Macs = big Cats :)

Yacomo
10-01-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm suffering from the 'shiny new' syndrome :) , so I'll likely buy Leopard when it comes out. I will however keep a firewire drive with Tiger as backup just in case ;)

Largemedium
10-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Running Tiger.8 here, no problems at all.

Personally I am not that thrilled with Leopard's features, as demoed. Time Machine is nice and all, but what sparked most of my interest is Core Animation, and they didn't really go far into it.

Time machine looks like it's a big resource hog. If you are doing video projects, does that mean you are going to need double the storage space for time machine?! 8~ I can't wrap my brain around how that will work.

A feature in Leopard that put a smile on my face was Spaces. I'm constantly working in multiple apps and being able to switch desktops at the hit of a key (instead of apple/tabbing to switch apps) will greatly improve my work flow.

I look forward to running the UB of Lightwave on a MacPro with Leopard. I'm crossing my fingers that it will be fast. Maybe it will be a rare time where the computer is waiting on me... instead of the other way around.

Oh... and by the way, I use 10.4.8 on a MacPro 2.66.

amigo
10-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Time machine looks like it's a big resource hog. If you are doing video projects, does that mean you are going to need double the storage space for time machine?! 8~ I can't wrap my brain around how that will work.

A feature in Leopard that put a smile on my face was Spaces. I'm constantly working in multiple apps and being able to switch desktops at the hit of a key (instead of apple/tabbing to switch apps) will greatly improve my work flow.

I look forward to running the UB of Lightwave on a MacPro with Leopard. I'm crossing my fingers that it will be fast. Maybe it will be a rare time where the computer is waiting on me... instead of the other way around.

Oh... and by the way, I use 10.4.8 on a MacPro 2.66.
My guess is that there will be a way to decide to set exclusions or something of sorts, otherwise I agree, it would be a nightmare keeping large video projects.

I wasn't too excited about Spaces, it looked just like virtual desktop in Linux plus a few other features which cannot warrant calling Spaces "a new feature" or revolutionary.

So Chilton, how's that LW UB coming along, Largemedium and I are dying to know how fast it runs on a Mac Pro 2.66? :)

Chilton
10-01-2006, 09:18 PM
So Chilton, how's that LW UB coming along, Largemedium and I are dying to know how fast it runs on a Mac Pro 2.66? :)

I don't have a MP 2.6 yet, unfortunately. I just have this meager 2.16Ghz MBP, and only 1Gb of RAM on it. But I know people are dying for benchmarks, so here goes.

2.1Ghz MBP, 10.4.8: Quite fast.

;-)

-Chilton

BazC
10-02-2006, 01:18 AM
I don't have a MP 2.6 yet, unfortunately. I just have this meager 2.16Ghz MBP, and only 1Gb of RAM on it. But I know people are dying for benchmarks, so here goes.

2.1Ghz MBP, 10.4.8: Quite fast.

;-)

-Chilton

Can you just remind me? The scale goes;

Pretty fast
Quite fast
Very fast
Zips along like a muther

Right? :D

Largemedium
10-02-2006, 03:42 AM
Can you just remind me? The scale goes;

Pretty fast
Quite fast
Very fast
Zips along like a muther

Right? :D

Since Chilton says it runs quite fast on the measley MB at 2.1, I should think the MacPro should run over twice as fast as quite fast. that means it should zip along like a muther whatever that means.

Hey Chilton, maybe I could ship my MacPro to you so that you can use it for test the UB. Of course, you won't need to deinstall the UB when you send back the machine. You would send it back... wouldn't you? :D

Chilton
10-02-2006, 07:04 AM
Since Chilton says it runs quite fast on the measley MB at 2.1, I should think the MacPro should run over twice as fast as quite fast. that means it should zip along like a muther whatever that means.

What I recall from running it on the developer machines at WWDC (which were all MPs), 'like a muther' is about right. Plus or minus a few hundredths of a second.

Hey Chilton, maybe I could ship my MacPro to you so that you can use it for test the UB. Of course, you won't need to deinstall the UB when you send back the machine. You would send it back... wouldn't you? :D

Yeah, sure, I'll send it right back! IN FACT, I'll even have my next door neighbor, The Pope, bless it before I send it back ;-)

-Chilton

mlinde
10-03-2006, 08:35 AM
I will have a copy of Leopard within days of it's release. I won't be upgrading right away on a production machine though.

KPS
10-03-2006, 11:07 AM
I use 10.4.8. I'll be getting Leopard as soon as it's released.

eblu
10-03-2006, 11:11 AM

Thanks,
-Chilton

el tigre now(always w/ latest updates), leopard when it ships +- 2 days

RonGC
10-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Panther 3.9 at the moment, Leopard as soon as it retails. Skipping past Tiger completely.

Ron

Puguglybonehead
10-03-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm using Panther. My current machine came with it. Mac Mini G4 (please don't laugh, it's all I could afford :o) I won't upgrade till I get a new Mac, but that's a lower priority than purchasing tutorial DVDs and some more RAM is, at the moment.

drcmaint
10-04-2006, 06:28 AM
Hi, I'm using 10.4.8. This on a 933MHz G4 with 1.5GB ram. So far, everythings seems to run just fine and hope that it stays that way. Will probably be upgrading to MacPro next year unless something comes along to change that and speed things up.