PDA

View Full Version : Automatic cleanup

Andyjaggy
09-29-2006, 06:32 PM
How hard would it be to have modeler automatically clean up 1 and 2 point polygons after merging points? I have always just considered manually cleaning these up as a part of life, until I was reading a little bit about Silo the other day and noticed that it automatically does this for you! I know it's not a huge deal, but just another one of those little workflow killers that slows you down. If a $99 modeling package can do it can't we make it work in modeler? Sigh.

SplineGod
09-29-2006, 09:17 PM
I dont find it a major timeconsuming thing to do. I just leave the stats window open and quickly select them and delete them. If they did implement something it should be in a switchable form because there are times I intentially create 2 point or single point polys and it would be a pain to have them automatically deleted. For me switching that on and off might slow things down. :)

Andyjaggy
09-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Like I said it's not a huge deal but if there was a function that automatically selected them and then deleted them it would be great. You could map it to a keyboard shortcut and then when you wanted to clean them all up you just hit the keyboard shortcut and it automatically selects them and deletes them. I would think this could be done with L-scripting fairly easily? Any of you programmers out there want to give it a shot :)

toby
10-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Lscript doesn't look too difficult, I've made some simple ones using the Lscript commander in Layout, try that and you can see the code. You could go to the Lscript discussion forum and ask how to make one for Modeler. They're very helpful. It appeals to me too, but time isn't permitting...

Lamont
10-02-2006, 04:11 PM
What's wrong with using the statistics and selecting them?

toby
10-02-2006, 06:20 PM
What's wrong with using the statistics and selecting them?
Nothing, but it's a lot more mouse strokes and keystrokes to merge points(m, return), unify polys (I, return), select 1pt (left-click) and 2pt (left-click) polygons and delete them(delete), than it is to do it with one key, if you had an Lscript.

Lamont
10-02-2006, 06:23 PM
How about leave the panel open? I see a lot of people do that. Click the plus symbol and hit delete. It's a heck of a lot faster than any script could ever be. When you get to a high poly-count object, it will chug.

If it's a compiled plugin, that's different.

toby
10-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Ok, "what's wrong" with learning to write an Lscript to do 4 or 5 completely repetitive tasks, 7-8 keystrokes, for you?

Lamont
10-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Nothing. Just make the script already. But you guys make it seem like you're trying to solve the riddles of the cosmos.

toby
10-02-2006, 07:12 PM
No, just making it less tedious, and learning Lscript would be very handy for more things like this. Maybe you don't find it as tedious as we do.

Lamont
10-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Do you have an idea of how to get it started?

toby
10-02-2006, 07:31 PM
I was going to open up some of the current scripts, and there's Dodgy's website (http://www.dodgy.ghostoutpost.com/Lscript/Lscript%20Index.html), and the Lscript discussions, so that should be a good start -

xchrisx
10-03-2006, 07:56 AM
i made a utility a while ago which basically does all of that, because just like you guys I get tired of doing all of those steps. if you want to try it out you can download here: http://shallowabyss.com/user/3d/lscripts/cp_janitor.zip

if you are interested in any of my other scripts (which are all open source) you may want to look here:
http://www.shallowabyss.com/user/3d/lscripts

3dworks
10-03-2006, 08:32 AM
if you have lwcad, there's an excellent tool: 'fix polygons'.

markus

Lamont
10-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Toby, Andyjaggy, if you guys really want to write one from scratch, I'll lend a hand.

toby
10-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Wow, nice, xChrisx!
I had a feeling someone might have done this already.

And check out FixCopyPaste! Dewd, we had a big discussion where just about everybody wanted exactly that. You're a heeero! ( http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56501&highlight=copy+paste )

Thanks Lamont, I'll keep that in mind. I'll be looking into scripting when I've learned a little more maya - I have very few hairs left and I'll have to let some grow back :P

xchrisx
10-03-2006, 09:33 PM
im just glad it helped someone else out :)