PDA

View Full Version : How would you crush a car....

MiniFireDragon
06-10-2003, 10:57 AM
Ok, I have a question for yall who use this program obviously more then I. How would u deform an object around another object?? For instance, lets take matrix reloaded.

I am sure all of you have seen the previews on TV where an agent jumps on a car and squashes it. Or, for my application, I have a car getting wedged between a truck and a wall. How would u deform the object around the other object??

I use to use 3dstudio r4 (yes old, isn't it?) and I could simply move polygons around in the animation part of the application. Since Modeler and Layout are seperate, I can't deform my objects around another object in the scene. I thought of bones, that might work. I also thought of Endomorphs, but not so sure if they will work because I can't put the 2 objects together and alter them!

Anyone have an idea?

Dodgy
06-10-2003, 04:19 PM
You can use motion designer to do such an effect. The best solution is to have a high poly high detail, highly subdivided car, and a low poly version, which you then subdivide, so it will deform interesting when you smash the guy/truck into it. A value of about 10 or 20 in the stretch limit and 200 or so in the viscosity should give you something to start with.

JulianW
06-11-2003, 03:09 PM
yup, sounds good.

I'd use MD for the bonnet and probably make other parts like the front bumper unit that flies off seperate objects and animate them individually, throw in some endomorphs to deform everything other than the bonnet, and add a few HVs for dust/fine debris.

You could also save the most extreme of the MD deformations out as new objects and then use them as a new morph targets for the bonnet, so that you can tweak the deformation,

JW.

Danner
06-11-2003, 11:37 PM
you could also create an endomorph with the crashed car in modeler and morph-mix it to animate it.

MiniFireDragon
06-12-2003, 01:18 PM
Danner: The problem is, I need the thing it is going to get crushed by there to deform around it. :)

rob davis
06-13-2003, 02:19 PM
Just copy the truck and wall that crush the car into a background layer (or seperate layers) and use them as guides to set up your endomorph(s). When you're done smashing, delete the truck and wall layers.

You can set different endo's and combine them in the animation. ex: The truck hits the car's left side (one endo for minro left side damage). The car then hits the wall (one endo for minor right side damage). The truck then continues into the left side of the car (one endo for major left side damage, added to the first endo for a combined effect) and smashes the car back into the wall (one endo for major right side damage, added to the second endo for another combined effect). The car finally comes to a stop after smashing into a light pole. One last endo for front end damage, added to all the rest gives you an almost unrecognisable car wreckage!

Hope that helps! :cool:

MiniFireDragon
06-17-2003, 06:52 AM
That is what I thought about at 1st. But the problem I have is vehicles rotate during an impact. the placing the models in is just fine and dandy if the vehlices didn't rotate during impact.

In my scenario the car rides up on its side and is pinned by the truck (tractor trailor) and is drug along the wall. It take about 1 second for the car to rotate.

Lamont
06-17-2003, 01:36 PM
Crush a car? Well is it a fast crush, or a slow one?

MiniFireDragon
06-17-2003, 02:41 PM
This would be over a period of about a second. If it were a normal accident I'd just place the cars at there respective impact angles and deform them accordingly since that happens in milliseconds.

Lamont
06-17-2003, 02:45 PM
I would say use a morph, with particles. There is an exsplosion plug-in available too for the glass.

rob davis
06-17-2003, 04:44 PM
Remember, you aren't limited (as far as I know) with the number of morphs that you can have on an object. You can always clone a morph and change it as well, then blend from the original to the copy that has added changes made to it...

As for modelling the roll-over, you can always rotate the car in modeller while you're doing the morph to make sure the shapes are right, bash it up, then rotate it back before actually using the morph during animation.

While animating the morphs, remember, you can adjust the morph speed to take anywhere from a milisecond to a nearly infinate amount of time. (I'd hate to wait for that to render!) Just place your keyframes further apart.

I honestly don't know of any other way to pull off what you're looking to do, other than hiring your own team of programmers to write a custom simulation program for you... :)