PDA

View Full Version : Second Life Models / Animation in Lightwave?

steamthunk
09-29-2006, 08:50 AM
Hi. I had a friend who plays Second Life ask me if I could make models/poses for him. A quick purusal through the SL site seems to indicate that all their tools are proprietary to the game and are quite simple. Has anyone tried this?

ksp
09-29-2006, 10:22 AM
second life only supports poser animation files.
the models can only be built in-world at the moment due to size restrictions etc. it uses tortured primitives. we are all waiting for the day when we can import/export models. give it another 5 years or so.
saying that i have seen some people rip the screen data via an openGL data stream reader, then clean up then data and render in a 3d program. but not the other way round.
i would also add that it's not really a game.

steamthunk
09-29-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks. It looked pretty locked into its own stuff from the quick glance I did, but I thought I'd double check. It is kind of amazing that there's a whole in-game/chat/sim/whatever 3D modeler. Otherwise, there must be people with serious dedication to produce the models seen on the site.

Bill Carey
10-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Thanks. It looked pretty locked into its own stuff from the quick glance I did, but I thought I'd double check. It is kind of amazing that there's a whole in-game/chat/sim/whatever 3D modeler. Otherwise, there must be people with serious dedication to produce the models seen on the site.

Many of the people on SL are extremely serious, you can break down many of those models and be amazed at what you can do with primitives. Add some deep scripting and it's a world of it's own.