PDA

View Full Version : BodyPaint 2.5 and LW9

kiwisheep
09-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Does it work? I saw at Maxon's website that BP 2.5 only supports 7.5c - 8.01. I'm planning to get BP 2.5 but I'm not sure if it will work with LW 9. Please advise. Thanks very much.

loki74
09-28-2006, 10:32 PM
why not get zBrush? They cost about the same (~$500), and the zBrush<->LW pipeline is pretty well documented... can't say I've ever done it myself though.

bryphi7
09-28-2006, 10:33 PM
I have not tried the plug that links the two, but I never used that anyway. I have found it easier to open my object in BP do my textures and then apply them manualy in LW. Great program!!! I recommend it highly...

kiwisheep
09-28-2006, 11:11 PM
Yes, I want to know specifiically if the plug-in works too. I'm not good in UV mapping - I just want to paint directly into the object inside LW.

bryphi7
09-28-2006, 11:26 PM
You can't paint on the object inside of LW. What the plug in does is... let you switch back and forth easier, but it never worked right anyway. It is just as easy to open your objects or scenes in BP, Paint your textures, save them, and apply them in LW. If you are looking for a program strictly for painting texture this would be it. If you are looking for a program to paint displacements, make normal maps, and have OK texture painting abilities, then you might want to check out Zbrush. BP is basically 3d photoshop...

sammael
09-29-2006, 03:04 AM
I would reccomend zbrush over BP, I have zbrush, it will generate uv maps from within the program if you want it to, although I always make my own so im not sure how well it works. Like bryphi7 says it is much more versatile.

DonS
09-29-2006, 05:49 AM
I use BP 2.5 with LW 9.0 all the time...and yep, the connecting plug-in still works.

D.

KillMe
09-29-2006, 06:02 AM
ah would love this prog but its far to expensive for what it is - nto when already have photoshop anyway

shaun_michael
09-29-2006, 11:19 AM
I have BP 2.5 and it works fine with 9.0 (at least on my system). Connecting plugin works fine although I have heard some say that subD models from LW9 can cause it to go flaky.

Oh, nad you can generate the UV maps and edit them in BP2.5 as well, and also import models with ready-made UVs such as those from LW or ZBrush such as its automatic UV generation (GUVs and AUVs I think they're called?)

Nifty little program actually.

S.

PS - with regards to my comment about SubDs not transferring correctly, I should have been more specific and mentioned it was CC subDs, and here is a thread that discusses it and offers a workaround
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57369

bryphi7
09-29-2006, 11:52 AM
I would reccomend zbrush over BP, I have zbrush, it will generate uv maps from within the program if you want it to, although I always make my own so im not sure how well it works. Like bryphi7 says it is much more versatile.

You are miss quoting me a bit... I prefer BP far over Zbrush for painting textures, but I do use Zbrush for normal maps and modeling with displacements. For painting textures BP is many times better then Zbrush, In my opinion...

kiwisheep
10-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Does BP2.5 has a node lock? Will it restrict you to install it only on one computer?

bryphi7
10-03-2006, 04:11 PM
no... i have it on my laptop and desktop.

kiwisheep
10-07-2006, 12:42 PM
I just saw in Maxon's website that BodyPaint 3D Release 3 is out! But the price is $895 excluding sales tax - I don't think I can afford. :-(

spec24
01-07-2007, 06:02 PM
I use BP 2.5 with LW 9.0 all the time...and yep, the connecting plug-in still works.

D.

well, not here it doesn't. Used to work fine in 8.5. Really gettin' tired of this sh*t.

TomT
01-07-2007, 07:29 PM
BP 3.0 adds support for LW9.

BP 2.5 supports LW7 & LW8.

Zbrush and BP are different tools to work different kinds of models (I use both relatively routinely.)

Photoshop is a key tool to have on hand, but is not a substitute for BP. ou can get away with PS only if you don't need real-time 3D preview or UV editing for example. You can get away with PS only, but tools like ZB and PS will enhance your productivity. (I've been using PS in 3D work since v2.)

DiedonD
01-08-2007, 02:13 AM
ah would love this prog but its far to expensive for what it is - nto when already have photoshop anyway

I hear this alot. Does photoshop generates UV maps as well? Or do you have to make a UV, use the UV Imaginator, and just paint it in Photoshop, which you could paint in simple Paint from Mycrosoft as well for that. Is there any other use from Photoshop?

Verlon
01-08-2007, 11:53 PM
Well, you COULD paint in Microsoft paint, but photoshop has a much better toolset---and layers. You gotta love them layers.

Photoshop has a great many uses, but most people barely scratch the surface. If you do not need the advanced toolset, you might was well save yourself the money.

Also, you could use Painshop Pro for considerably less money, of GIMP for free, if you were so inclined. UV Imaginator is a really great tool. Bodypaint looks great, but I'd rather spend the $895 elsewhere.

That's SpeedEdit AND an Xbox360 (Premium) AND a hot date with the wife AND pay the babysitter--given the UV Imaginator and GIMP are free (and I already own Photoshop AND Mirage--which has a plugin to paint Lightwave UV textures).