PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Displacements on Single Object -how?

JGary
09-28-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm trying to apply 4 different displacement maps created in Zbrush to a single mesh with seperate uv's for each displacement.
Here's an image that shows the problem I'm having. I put a different color on each surface that has it's own displacement map. There's a shot of what my node setup looks like and 4 images, showing what the mesh looks like as each map is added. The head is the first map and looks fine when it's the only map. When I add the torso map both maps looks ok except for the polys that border the two maps at the neck. It looks like that area is being displaced by both maps. When I add the arm/leg map it gets a little weird. The arm/leg map looks fine, but now the head and torso has bloated itself up. And finally, when I add the hand map, it's bloated as well. I'm sure I have my displacement node setup wrong, but have no clue what needs to be changed.

Thanks for any help,
Jgary

Bytehawk
09-28-2006, 06:19 PM
i don't have a lot of time right now, but I think nodal is flipping on the conversions here.

you're converting the luma channel to vectors and then back to scalars, not good !

just a hunch
try adding all scalars one by one with scalar add (makes 3 nodes) and feed the result in vector scale

or

try going a different route, scaling every displacement first
and adding the vectors afterwards

JGary
09-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Unfortunately, I'm short on time I know little about working with node functions, so I created a 8000 x 8000 image with all the UV's on it instead of 4 4000 X 4000 images. That solves my problem, but I would still like to know how this should be setup for future reference.

jasonwestmas
11-01-2008, 04:05 PM
JGary, did you ever figure out how to apply a different multiply/ intensity setting for each displacement map? I can never get it right so that changing one multiply/ intensity setting changes only one map and doesn't effect every UV displacement map. You know kind of like there is a bump amplitude setting for bump maps. I want to do that same but with multiple displacement maps on a single object layer.

zardoz
11-01-2008, 06:36 PM
you're saying that you're using 4 uvmaps right? I guess I had this problem too. And at the time I found out that all the polygons must be in all 4 uvs. So in uv1 (imagine it's for the head) you have the head polygons, but you must place in there all the other polygons too in some grey area (and it can be messy, all other polygons all over each other), and in uv2 (lets say the torso) you must place also all the other polygons in that uv too, in some grey area, and the same for the other uvs. I guess this was how I fixed it...

jasonwestmas
11-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah, you are right thanks, the displacement maps need separate UV maps otherwise the displacement value of the greyscale colors get added together thus doubling the displacement for two separate maps.

I also found that I can just plug in a weight map to the multiply node (In Nodal Displacement environment) for controling the displacement amount. Really easy but not the fastest thing to adjust sometimes, but hey it works!