PDA

View Full Version : How is this done?

malikai666
06-10-2003, 10:06 AM
I have a quick ? for any one who might know. Ive been seeing a lot of commercial spots that look like they are flat 2d usually 2 color spots but but have 3d aspects to them. they look like they are cartoons but the camera movements and the quality is 3d cg. So how is it done ? Is there a way in lightwave that you can have just outlined 3d objects so they look like line art? But still have the depth of reg 3d. for instance if you had a black and white box but the box was only outlined in black where the edges are and the rest was white.
I hope this makes some kind of sense.

Piolla
06-10-2003, 10:52 AM
If I understand your question, yes. There are some plugins that do that. LW comes with the Super Cell Shader and BESM (Big eye small mouth) for Anime. You can also look for Unreal. I think these are the most common ones. Don't know if there is more and/or better.

I hope i've answered your question.

marble_sheep
06-10-2003, 09:33 PM
There are several ways of doing this. Sometimes the look you are talking about can be achieved through rotoscoping existing video. This is time consuming, however. In 3D, there are several routes you can take. Using a celshader plugin such as BESM is one option, but for the look you are talking about, I have had very good luck using these surface settings: Luminosity 25%, Diffuse 75%, Diffuse Sharpness 50%, and turned on all the options in the "Edges" tab under Object Properties, with the edge width set to 2 pixels. It gives a look like this:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=922

The effect kind of mimics Flash, which is maybe closer to what you're talking about.

Hope this helps!

malikai666
06-11-2003, 10:15 AM
hey marble,
thats exactly what I was talking about.
The turntables look great.
I was wondering are those the same ones on Comedy Central?
Because thats where I saw this effect in its best use yet but I cant remember the name of the show. Either way thanks and it looks great

marble_sheep
06-11-2003, 09:47 PM
Hey Malikai, glad it worked out for you. It does take some tweaking depending on the model, but hopefully that'll get you started.

Unfortunately, no, these were not featured on Comedy Central, it was for a lowly class assignment. Maybe someday, hahaha.

munky
06-14-2003, 12:03 PM
Issue 28 of 3d world magazine has a toon shading tutorial (using lightwave) I don't know if it's available still. The author was stuart Rowbottom [email protected] He did the manga style trailers fo the bbc's world cup promo's for Passion Pictures ( their website might be worth a look) as they do tons of this kind of stuff using LW

hope this might be of some help

paul

SplineGod
06-14-2003, 01:41 PM
Also try www.celshader.com