PDA

View Full Version : Albee Tut: The Translight Lighting Method: HDRI-Dome Quality At Blazingly Fast Speeds

aurora
09-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Timothy Albee has produced yet another incredible article titled "The Translight Lighting Method: HDRI-Dome Quality At Blazingly Fast Speeds." His latest tutorial is on using HDRI images with a spinning light dome to create uber-fast GI quality light rigs. As is Albee, he even includes all the source files to aid you in following the tutorial. Enjoy

http://www.cgfocus.com

T-Light
09-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Cheers Aurora, Clever :)

paulhart
09-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Okay, over-the-top impressive work-around with great output!! I enjoyed a workshop with Timothy Albee last year, but the thought process to work this out is just remarkable. I will be pulling it apart to try to understand it. Thank you Aurora for the point out.
Paul

faulknermano
09-27-2006, 11:19 PM
nice tutorial, but i believe the technique has been around for quite some time already. dont remember where i saw it (if i saw it at all), but i've been using this method (when appropriate) for several years now. but i enjoy read the tutorial's indepth explanations. :)

moremetall
09-28-2006, 01:06 AM
I'm blind ...cant find if ....:help:

T-Light
09-28-2006, 01:28 AM
Are you kidding?
It's right there on the front page under 'feature article' :)

moremetall
09-28-2006, 04:47 AM
opps.....:o :o :o

nikfaulkner
09-28-2006, 06:43 AM
a very good article and technique,

i've used a similar setup since version 5.0

n

Thomas M.
09-28-2006, 07:23 AM
Well, great tut for the beginner, for the regular user he could have cut it short and say: "Don't use LightGen anymore, but a spinning lightdome with an HDRI transparency globe for light coloring." Nice probably for an animation, but I guess for a still the qualitiy is probably not good enough, depending on the shadows. But great that he made the effort to share this.

Thomas M.
09-28-2006, 07:40 AM
Double post.

-EsHrA-
09-28-2006, 08:48 AM
its nice and useable but old technique.

mlon

toby
09-30-2006, 02:34 PM
I was just experimenting with Color Filter for this purpose, but I didn't know how to rotate the dome correctly, the Oscillator trick is just what I needed!

Too bad he doesn't compare the render time against Backdrop radiosity instead of Monte Carlo, that would be more fair. The Translight method doesn't calculate light bouncing off of the objects in the scene or color-bleed like MC does.

It also requires at least enhanced high AA with motion blur, so for stills it might not be very beneficial. Background radiosity with medium AA could be faster; but then of course you don't get specularity...

newsvixen8
10-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Old technique or not, thank you for bringing it back to the attention of all, especially the newcomers.