Stingslang
09-27-2006, 09:31 AM
what exactly is screamernet?

MooseDog
09-27-2006, 10:05 AM
rtm: distributed rendering

gjjackson
09-28-2006, 06:53 AM
It will allow you to render over multiple machines without a key for each machine, as some other packages require. There is no limit (999) for render nodes.

donny
10-31-2006, 05:09 PM
And its free and included with the application.

gjjackson
10-31-2006, 05:23 PM
I'd like to see NT get the app 'Spider' and incorporate it into LW. If they took over development it would make it much easier for new users to get a handle on network rendering. Spider has a pretty nice UI and incorporates into LW pretty well. I haven't tried it for awhile though and don't know how it works with v9.

John the Geek
11-08-2006, 08:24 AM
So let me take this a step further?

How does it work?

I've looked into a few tutorials and they all read like stereo instructions. :2guns: I have an Intel Mac (Core 2 Duo) and 3 fast PCs (4GHz P4s) here and I'd like to use the 3 PCs as render-nodes.

So, I make a shared folder on one of the machines, right? For example, on the Mac shared via SMB.

Then do I also share a folder on the Nodes? Do I install the LWSN.exe app on the Nodes, or do I place it on the share and run it on the nodes through the network?

It's my impression I just place the LWSN.exe app and a batch file with config settings on the client with access to my shared content directory, right?

What exactly is necessary to get this working?

Thanks much!

Scazzino
11-08-2006, 09:28 AM
If you want to use both Mac and PC nodes you'll need to use a third party controller. The built in controller doesn't automatically remap the file paths (as far as I know).

I know it's a lot of information, but this will show you how (and why) to set up a screamernet render farm, running the controller on the Mac. It also goes into using third party controllers such as ScreamerNet Controller for Mac OS X and RenderFarm Commander.

Mastering LWSN on the Macintosh:
LightWave ScreamerNet for Mac OS X (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/welcome.html)

Some file paths and button locations may be slightly different in LW9 but the overall operation and configuration remains the same.

Also, if it's too difficult to set up manually, you can try RenderFarm Commander's (http://www.brucerayne.com/renderfarm.html) auto-setup feature...

Hope it helps. :D

donny
11-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Sorry if i missed it but is the Intel Mac run bootcamp? I'm guessing it is since you mention coping over the lwsn.exe. For setting up screamer net what I usually do first is share out the drive that has LightWave installed on it as the L drive (You don't have to use L I do just because it stands for LightWave).You will then want to map the L drive on the host system by going to map drive and under drive name choose L and for the folder navigate to the host system and choose the L drive. Then on the node system you will map the L drive from the host system as L.

For the lwsn you dont actually copy it to the other systems you would just make either batch files or cmd shortcuts. I prefer batch files since they seem easier to edit. Right click on the desktop of the host system and choose new text document. You can then rename it to the node1.bat(if you cannot change the file extension you may have to go to a Explorer Window then under Tools folder options and under View\Advanced Settings turn off the hide file extensions). Right click on the node1.bat and choose edit. This is where you will type in the syntax for Screamer Net. Which for a default install of LightWave should look like.

"L:\Program Files\Newtek\LightWave 3D 9\Programs\lwsn.exe" -2 -c"L:\Documents and Settings\Administrator" "L:\Program Files\Newtek\LightWave 3D 9\Programs\job1" "L:\Program Files\Newtek\LightWave 3D 9\Programs\ack1"

Now make a copy of the node1.bat and copy it over to one of the nodes. Once there rename the file to node2.bat. Then right click on the file and choose edit and you will now change the job1 to job2 and the ack1 to ack2.This will tell LWSN that this is the 2nd node. You will do the same for the 3rd system copy over a node file then change the name to node3 and change the job to job3 and the ack to ack3. If the systems are dual processors then you can run a batch file for each processor. For example one system may have both node2 and node3 running on it since it has dual cpu's.

Some other things you will want to do are open up LightWave and turn off the Autoscan Plugins function since that will make LightWave pull the plugins from the C: drive instead of the mapped drive. So once you disable it then go to the Utilities tab and choose edit plugins. Clear the list then hit scan directory and select the plugins folder by going to the mapped L drive on the host. This will write the config files to pull the plugins from the L drive which the nodes and the host all have in common. Once it has scanned the plugins hit done.Now goto the render tab and choose Network Render anc change the Command Directory to be

L:\Program Files\Newtek\LightWave 3D 9\Programs

A prompt will come up to reinitialize hit no and close LightWave.

You can now run each of the node batch files which will bring up what looks like a command prompt go ahead and leave them running and start LightWave.Go to Render\Network Render and choose Screamer Init. There will be a message checking for CPU's. If all is well you get a message say 3 available ScreamerNet CPU were detected. Hit ok and add your scene to the list and hit Screamer Render.

If I have left anything out please let me know.

John the Geek
11-08-2006, 10:20 AM
My head hurts.

So... don't bother until this gets re-writen by NetTek programmers eventually?

So, even if I were to manually configure my Windows clients to point to my share (\\MyMac\Lightwave\yadayada) then configure my Mac Network Rendering interface still won't see them even if I configure it to match the same local content directory (ContentDrive:Lightwave:yadayada) because Mac and PC Screamernet speak different languages?

So it can only be done if I boot my Mac into Windows XP as one of the nodes?

Yes, I have Boot Camp installed, but I prefer to work on the Mac. I hate rebooting

Scazzino
11-08-2006, 10:29 AM
So it can only be done if I boot my Mac into Windows XP as one of the nodes?

You'd need to run the LightWave controller under Windows XP also on the Mac with that method...

Or you could use one of the third party controllers under Mac OS X like RenderFarm Commander or ScreamerNet Controller for Mac OS X...

John the Geek
11-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Oh, Renderfarm Commander can control PC nodes from a master Mac?

I may give that a try before I break down and give up.

=)

Scazzino
11-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Oh, Renderfarm Commander can control PC nodes from a master Mac?

I may give that a try before I break down and give up.

=)

Yes, it also has a neat auto-setup feature that can configure the nodes for you... I usually do it manually myself, but I've heard the auto-setup feature works well...

John the Geek
11-08-2006, 10:54 AM
This is looking better.

So Node 1 goes like this:

- Set up LWSN.exe and a BAT file for launching it with it's configuration.
- Set up Bat file to point to my shared folder.
- Launch BAT file and leave PC.

Then on the controller machine I use RF Commander to identify Node 1 and tell it it's a PC. If I manually point them to the right content directory, do I still need to remap their paths?

John the Geek
11-08-2006, 11:08 AM
It worked! Check out Node 1...

=)

Thanks for all of your help guys, especially Mike. I think I can get it going from here.

Stingslang
11-16-2006, 12:32 PM
can you run Screamernet nodes on linux?

Scazzino
11-16-2006, 12:44 PM
It worked! Check out Node 1...

=)

Thanks for all of your help guys, especially Mike. I think I can get it going from here.

Glad it worked!

It can be tricky to set up, but once you start network rendering, you won't want to go back.

:thumbsup:

Matt
11-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Read my PDF, it explains how ScreamerNet works (see signature)

Scazzino
11-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Read my PDF, it explains how ScreamerNet works (see signature)
And my Mastering LightWave ScreamerNet on the Macintosh (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/welcome.html) too... ;) ;)

Stingslang
11-16-2006, 05:58 PM
What about my linux question. Can screamernet have linux nodes?

donny
11-17-2006, 08:49 AM
There is a Linux render node you can get off the My Downloads from the registratioin page. http://reg.newtek.com/

Lightwolf
11-17-2006, 08:53 AM
There is a Linux render node you can get off the My Downloads from the registratioin page. http://reg.newtek.com/
Unfortunately there is no LW 9.0 render node for Linux available...

Cheers,
Miek

Stingslang
11-17-2006, 09:35 AM
are you guys sure, bcz i know you could run the render engine on linux in 7.5

Lightwolf
11-17-2006, 09:37 AM
are you guys sure, bcz i know you could run the render engine on linux in 7.5
I believe the last release of lwsn for Linux was 8.3...

Cheers,
Mike

John the Geek
11-17-2006, 09:49 AM

I don't see it.

donny
11-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Lightwolf is correct the last update for it was on the 8.X. So if you have the 8.X registered you should see it.

Stingslang
11-18-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm asking bcz I'm very seriously considering buying Lightwave. I have a Linux computing cluster which I use for rendering. I won't buy a product unless the render engine can run on linux.

eblu
11-22-2006, 10:18 AM
sting... thats just plain silly.

I'm sure your cluster is a thing of beauty, but making a Linux based renderer a "must have" item in your purchase of a 3d package, is counter-intuitive. Buy your 3d package based on results... the final image, bang over buck, etc... and build your pipeline around that. doing it any other way is, like I said, counter-intuitive.

Lightwave renders a fine image. if you want a fine image, you should consider Lightwave. But if the most important thing to you is that the rendering engine works in Linux, by all means... go ahead and get something else.

Its just very odd that you (and your linux cluster) are looking at a 3d package under $1000 and demanding that it jump through your hoops.

hdace
12-05-2006, 10:59 AM
sting... thats just plain silly.

I'm sure your cluster is a thing of beauty, but making a Linux based renderer a "must have" item in your purchase of a 3d package, is counter-intuitive. Buy your 3d package based on results... the final image, bang over buck, etc... and build your pipeline around that. doing it any other way is, like I said, counter-intuitive.

Lightwave renders a fine image. if you want a fine image, you should consider Lightwave. But if the most important thing to you is that the rendering engine works in Linux, by all means... go ahead and get something else.

Its just very odd that you (and your linux cluster) are looking at a 3d package under $1000 and demanding that it jump through your hoops.

There's no shame in being poor. I am. I could barely afford LW. Kind friends keep giving me PCs when they upgrade, and luckily they leave their old OEM Windows on board.

If not, I'd be running Linnux too. And I'd be stuck with version 8. What a bummer.

I'm a screamernet junky. Coolest thing on planet Earth. Oddly enough, I don't know how I did it 'cause it was like 6 months ago, but I'm sure I once managed to get one of my PCs to control my G5 and other PCs at the same time using lwsn.

But I stopped doing it because I often find I can't mix PPC & Intel rendered parts of one scene because procedurals get rendered differently & I get flickering.

Hal

Sarford
12-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Just a quick note here about Renderfarm commander, this is one handy little tool! I just bought the professional version two days ago. I had to batch render a few scenes overnight and looking into the screamernet documentation just boggled my mind :stumped:
I thought I was never going to use screamernet because of the complexity. Then I found this little tool and it makes rendering with screamernet a breeze! Renderfarm Commander sets up your nodes and configures them for you. You just add scenes, start your nodes and let it rip! And its cheap!
If you're struggling with screamernet, take a look at this app, it will seriously lessen the pain of screamernet.

ps: I realise this is a very possitive post, thats because I'm so enthousiastic about Renderfarm Commander. Just for the record, I have absolutley no connection to them what so ever.