PDA

View Full Version : can I merge models in Layout (collapse clones into 1 model)?

pfash
02-18-2003, 02:03 PM
I have cloned one box (with textures) 5 times in Layout. So now I have six items shown in Layout. Now I want to merge all 5 of these items into one item. (In Modeler I can cut 4 layers and paste into one layer to accomplish this. How do I do the same in Layout? The reason I need to do this is so that I can export a w3d file that, when imported into Director, comes in as 'one model'.)

Skonk
02-18-2003, 05:28 PM
U cant merge layers in layout im affraid. Why cant u just do it in modeler?

James..

Judas_Childman
02-18-2003, 09:17 PM
Even layered object files from the modeler are interpreted as separate objects in the layout....without this behavior you could not build up segmented characters into one multilayered file and still have independent control of the pieces. Sending the clones to the Modeler and saving them under one file as separate layers only saves YOU the trouble of loading in each item later. BUT the layout still sees them as independent items the only difference is that they now contain a prefix and suffix. To make them one you would need to put them all in ONE layer in the Modeler and save them as such. But you will sacrifice whatever control you had over each of them since they will now be treated as on piece. Of course if you fuss with bones and weight maps or play with surfaces and the Motion designer you may be able to make them behave LIKE they are independent items again but it probably would not be the same.

L8tr

pfash
02-19-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by SpankDaddy
U cant merge layers in layout im affraid. Why cant u just do it in modeler?

James..
I'm new so bear with me: The reason I can't make all the boxes into one model in modeler is because: I need many identical boxes with same textures, registered in same places on their faces. These boxes, of course are in different places in my world. In modeler, when I replicate a box that has textures applied and place it in a different place in the world, the textures shift on the faces. If I replicate the box first then make different surface names so that I can apply and register the textures to each surface individually...then I have everything looking good but when I export as a w3d file and then import into Macromedia Director (Shockwave3d) I get as many shaders as I have 'surface names' in Layout. This means that there will be a performance hit in my game that uses these boxes because the Director 3d engine slows with each shader. I am trying to limit my shaders as much as possible. If, in layout, I could clone these boxes (textures will stay registered in place) and surfaces don't have to have individual names then I have less shaders when imported to my Director game. But, alas, this sounds impossible. On to other solutions.
Thanks,
Paul