PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to make the terrain and the road different objects (for a game)?

blinblue
06-10-2003, 07:35 AM
I made a post a little bit lower down about me try to make a nice neat complete terrain with a road going through it. Well I think I will just make a terrain and then put the road on top of it (but it would not all be the same object). And I am wondering, is it OK to do that, will there be weird problems when it gets put into the game (BTW it will be using DirectX)?
Thanks a lot, this place has been really helpful.

meshmaster
06-10-2003, 09:43 AM
on your programming technique and how you make the character interact, etc... for instance some programs like 3d rad make it possible to climb stairs, etc... if the planes are x inches up, but they can't if they are above that... if your road is on the same height plane as the rest of the road, should be ok... do you want to make it possible for off roading?

MarkG
06-10-2003, 11:47 AM
The most obvious problem to look out for is z-fighting: if the coordinates of road and terrain are close enough, then rounding errors in the z-coordinate calculations can result in you seeing the ground through the road in random places. 'Operation Flashpoint' is one example of a game where I used to see this often in early versions (AFAIR they eventually patched it to always use a 32-bit z-buffer to increase accuracy and the problem went away).

blinblue
06-10-2003, 02:36 PM
There is going to be very little off roading, and for when there is I can make it part of the road itself.
What would I do if I wanted to have off road? Would I have to make the terrain and the road all one object?

Thanks a lot for your input