PDA

View Full Version : Tired of restarting...

Johnsongraphix
09-26-2006, 08:37 AM
Why is it when my Layout crashed it loses communication with modeler and the only way to fix it is to restart my mac... I never had to restart my mac or power it down until now...no huge deal, but it does effect my workflow sometimes....

I tried to search other threads for info on this, but i must be typing in the wrong search terms.

Chilton
09-26-2006, 08:46 AM
I've heard of this a few times. Is this related to hub communication failures?

-Chilton

Johnsongraphix
09-26-2006, 10:44 AM
I believe it might have something to do with networking...

I used to have this problem on a different network setup and the solution was to disconnect the ethernet cord from the computer...restarting didn't seem to do it alone.

Now, same problem but I can keep the network connected, but now it's connecting to a XP 2003 server instead of a mac to mac only connection. A lot has changed since, so I'm not sure if there are other existing factors, but this is why for me it seems to be network related.

I've reinstalled several times and my paths and content dir seem to be set okay.

It sounds like there isn't an immediate solution...huh?

jeremyhardin
09-26-2006, 11:19 AM
probably because the hub uses TCP/IP over ports? so when it crashes it keeps ports locked open? but because they're open future instances of LW see the ports as in-use and don't use them?

that's my semi-knowlegeable semi-BS guess. :D

Johnsongraphix
09-28-2006, 08:20 AM
This must not be common enough to fix then. I'm not sure why I always have these problems with LW. Lightwave keeps improving tools and rendering and UI, but it all stinks when it doesn't work like it should. I've been using LW for a long time and I feel like it's the invested knowledge and hopes of a brighter future for the program that keeps me aboard... But everyone I know uses 3dMax... and I can't stand it. But I am thinking about Maya 3d as an alternative. I need to work without so many problems and I need to communicate with other 3d programs.... Lightwave isn't doig that for me. I'm sure it's the fault of autodesk for not supporting the FBX better, but I need to move on, and it really bites!

*just venting my frustrations*

why....wwhy??

jeremyhardin
09-28-2006, 08:24 AM
IMHO, Maya should not be ventured into when looking for stability and things working "as they should" unless you have a team of TD's to support you when things go awry. When you already know it's little finicky behaviours, sure.

I'm not saying don't use Maya. But I am saying not to switch to it solely for that reason (especially on Mac). Because I fear you may run into similiar issues.

Unless you already know Maya, that is?

toby
09-28-2006, 02:13 PM
I'll second the notion that using Maya for anything but full featured movies is like using an 18-wheeler to go shopping. I've also heard complaints about the mandatory upgrades, all of which you have to pay for. I can't stand Max either!

It may seem like a cop-out, but I think working without the hub is the way to go, unless maybe you're a character rigger. It's just a different workflow, it has just as many advantages as drawbacks. A couple benefits are that if you work on a model then load it into Layout, you get to keep any undo's you have in Modeler, and if you change the surface in Layout, you can easily revert to the saved model since it doesn't update in Modeler. You also get an extra heap of stability without the hub.

Do you use the hub Jeremy?

jeremyhardin
09-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Definitely not. On very rare occasions I'll open it up. But in general the stability I get is worth more than the syncability.

Activator
10-03-2006, 06:10 AM
I just wanted to chime in to say that I am also having the same issue with Layout and Modeler finding each other after one goes down. A restart is the only cure. LW9, OS 10.4.7.

Also, when I quit the app that is still running and then quit the Hub, the Hub says there are still Lightwave processes running, yet a quick tour of the Mac OSX process viewer shows no LW related processes running!

I've been using Layout and Modeler even if they don't see each other, but it's annoying to have to re-load a scene every time I make a change to a model in Modeler. (If I just re-load the model in Layout, I often have issues with the model "linking" itself to some other item in the scene, or a morph not loading, etc. Re-loading the whole sceene is the only reliable way to update the model.)

It may be more stable without the Hub, but I like the apps linked.:)

ramccombe
10-03-2006, 07:49 AM
Hi all, I to had been experiencing the same loss of communication problems after a layout or modeler crash (mostly layout). I would restart in the past but now all I do is quit all Lightwave apps, force quit if necessary. Then launch the Hub ONLY, then quit Hub. Then launch Lighwave in the usual manner. Works every time for me. I'm using 9 and 10.3.9. Good luck.:thumbsup:

Activator
10-03-2006, 08:21 AM
IT WORKS!

Nice find ramccombe!:thumbsup:

Weepul
10-07-2006, 01:14 AM
I've found that the Hub simply won't recognize that the app quit. If you open the Hub's window and toggle its "Processes" and "Launch Processes" arrows, you'll see whichever app crashed is still listed under the "Processes" section. Click next to the app where it says "En..." (truncated "Enabled"), and select "Disabled". This will remove that app from the Processes list. Then under its listing in "Launch Processes", do the same thing but re-enable it. The Hub will now communicate with it properly once again, once you re-launch the app.

I find this inattentive behavior of the Hub very strange. Various versions of LW9 through the open beta program were very responsive and immediately detected if a LW app crashed. For some reason, the shipping version of the Hub doesn't seem to do so at all.