PDA

View Full Version : 2d with lightwave?

cresshead
09-26-2006, 03:35 AM
hi i'm wondering what advantages a dedicated 2d app would have over using lightwave for 2d cutout style cartoon animation?

here's my quick test scene.....and yeah it was'quick'... and rough!:D

any issues i'll run into?

umstitch
09-26-2006, 03:58 AM
i know of two designers who work with our studio, and they knock out bits and pieces for the bbc (CBeebies), and exclusively use lw for doing just this sort of thing, all the time..the editors are usually only concerned with the ease of compositing anims and graphics into live video footage, which usually means .tga`s, lw is great for fast turnaround and re- editing small sequences of the 2d kind...they sometimes use after effects to do the same thing , but i personally think a seasoned lw user can work the gig much faster :thumbsup:

cresshead
09-26-2006, 04:12 AM
cheers for that!

just wondering the best method to swapout front/3quarter heads'bodies in a animation of a cutout character...a visibility track or layer track sorta thing...??

DiedonD
09-26-2006, 04:24 AM
Well since you dont need the third dimension, why dont you let other apps that specialize in 2D animation have their turn. Id say after effects should be the best way. I use to do animations in AE before I got into LW. Its pretty powerful, if you didnt know that by now. You can just create any character in photoshop and/or illustrator, devide it to bits (Body parts that will rotate in animation) and you could even have that 2D picture move in a 3D space even. Plus it has its own extra effects that might come in handy. If you must make 2D, Id sure try AE to do the job.

cresshead
09-26-2006, 04:28 AM
my main thing here is NOT to learn yet another app or buy one! when lightwave could do the job with no extra cost..the only thing that i need is a good workflow for the head/body swapping for front & 3/4 bodies during a scene...i think lip sync can be handled by morphs on mouth shapes...
plus we get ik if we want it!

Dodgy
09-26-2006, 04:43 AM
my main thing here is NOT to learn yet another app or buy one! when lightwave could do the job with no extra cost..the only thing that i need is a good workflow for the head/body swapping for front & 3/4 bodies during a scene...i think lip sync can be handled by morphs on mouth shapes...
plus we get ik if we want it!

I have a couple of plugins which dissolve out and in selected objects, setting keyframes which are stepped for swapping in an out items. I think there were Jeremy Hardin's but I tweaked them a little. Would you want them?

randomnumbers
09-26-2006, 04:46 AM
If you don't want to spend the time learning a package that is more dedicated to 2D animation, Lightwave is certainly more than capable of handling this sort of thing.
I'm working on just such a project now, and by adding a little curvature to the 2D elements it's possible to get some great shading to the 2D with almost no time hit.
I'll be posting a thread in the WIP section with some images soon!

Kuzey
09-26-2006, 05:00 AM
I'm just thinking that would make a good and very different LW tutorial if anyone's up to it :thumbsup:

Kuzey

umstitch
09-26-2006, 05:14 AM
..well i guess you re either going for a 2.5d look, or a trad 2d anim look, such as southpark, its all fairly easy with lw. you have a lot of scope for making your own workflow, plus go plug hunting to help make life easier, good place to start would be with dodgy, his plugs are always usefull, and LayersMc got an update recently:thumbsup:

cresshead
09-26-2006, 06:03 AM
I have a couple of plugins which dissolve out and in selected objects, setting keyframes which are stepped for swapping in an out items. I think there were Jeremy Hardin's but I tweaked them a little. Would you want them?

yes please!:D

you can email them here if there's no download page

[email protected]

cheers!:thumbsup: :lwicon:
stee+cats

stib
09-26-2006, 06:15 AM
Talking about Southpark, I believe that it is done with Maya (http://www.spscriptorium.com/SPinfo/MakingOfSouthPark.htm)... So 2D in a 3D app is a goer.

moc
09-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Those 2.5d animation....I prefered done them at adobe AE......much faster...
and I can add another fx at the same time.......

Lightwolf
09-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Perfectly possible: http://www.flay.com/getarticle.cfm?articleid=2

Well, allright, we did go a bit overboard on that project. On the other side, there was no way a compositing tool would handle something like that, since we sometimes had GBs of images loaded per frame (worked with proxies in LW and rendered in layers).

Cheers,
Mike

SplineGod
09-26-2006, 06:38 PM
You might consider Moho (now anime studio). Its really designed for this type of thing and is pretty cheap and easy to learn. It reminds me of LW in many ways. :)

Puguglybonehead
09-27-2006, 12:20 AM
Not sure what software was used to create this, but Marcus Moore's Hoverboy (http://www.hoverboy.com/screen_series56.html) just blew me away when I saw it at a computer animation festival in Toronto (7 or 8 years ago?). He manages to accurately recreate the cheezy Krantz Films look from the mid 1960s, which was seen in series like Rocket Robin Hood, The Mighty Hercules, and The Amazing Spiderman.
2+1/2D animation looks like a blast to do, and hey, if South Park's being done that way then why not? I think Lightwave totally suits the task.