PDA

View Full Version : Making DVE's

bdmovies
09-25-2006, 07:18 PM
Is it possible to make DVE transitions in LW? If so, how?

Sekhar
09-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Motion Mixer has transitions of sorts, though may be not what you're looking for...

bdmovies
09-25-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm looking to create my own replay transition similiar to ESPN of CBS.

Titus
09-25-2006, 08:57 PM
You need the DVE creation kit.

KSTAR
09-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Do you own a VT? If so Bob Tasa's LW connect plugin is awesome you can pretty much render any type of DVE you can imagine in Lightwave right to the VTedits time line

kltv
09-25-2006, 11:30 PM
I'm looking to create my own replay transition similiar to ESPN of CBS.

I would suggest making the actual DVE transition in Aura, but using After Effects or Lightwave to generate the elements. It is a lot easier than doing the whole thing in Lightwave and I think you'll still get the sort of transition you are looking for. Here is how it works. You need to make two animation files in lets a 3D app or a compositing program like After Effects. One animation will be the "overlay" animation. That would be your fancy ESPN-style animation with 3D logos. Render that out of After Effects (or Lightwave) with an alpha channel. This animation will cover the transition effect below. Then make another animation that will provide alpha channel for the video transition. This animation controls the outgoing video's transparency. This animation can be a simple fade timed to happen as your fancy logo animation will be playing above. Then bring both animations in to Aura on separate layers. There is a filter or effect under transition called VT wipe builder. Tell it which layer is the overlay and which is the transition and build the DVE. It really isn't as difficult as it sounds, this is way easier than doing the whole thing in Lightwave. You really only need Lightwave if you want to warp or distort or have reflections, stuff like that. If you just want a cool 3D logo over the video, render the logo out of Lightwave and use Aura to build the DVE. Especially if you are a Lightwave novice. I've done it both ways for different DVEs, but the Aura one works for most effects.

Kris

P.S. The animation should be 4 seconds long, but you can make it as fast or slow as you need when you execute the transition in the switcher.

bdmovies
09-26-2006, 09:49 AM
Thank KLTV, I think I'll go with the Aura. It's a fairly simple transition, Basically a few circles coming in from infinity in the middle of the screen with our logo and some text rotating around it and as the logo gets closer it spins to the right revealing the replay.