PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave technical queries?? please help!

sammael
09-25-2006, 05:19 AM
Hello all, I have a few queries im hoping someone can answer for me. I find myself again at a position in my current lightwave scene where I am starting to run out of memory.

1 - Does LW use the same resources to display opengl textures as it does for rendering? in other words if I have my scene set to display shaded solids or bounding boxes will I save more memory for rendering etc? or is this purely graphics card dependent?

2 - If I lower the the bit depth of my images from say 24 bit bitmaps to indexed 256 colour bitmaps will I save memory or does LW need to convert textures back to a higher dit depth before rendering anyway?

3 - Would lowering the segment memory limit allow me to render more complex scenes with nore image maps and geometry?

Any other insight on how I could minimise memory usage and maximise scene complexity would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Sam

BeeVee
09-25-2006, 08:11 AM
LightWiki (http://www.lightwiki.com/wiki/mediawiki-1.4.4/index.php?title=Optimised_image_use)

B

lede
09-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Well let me see if this can answer a few questions for you.

(1) I believe that when LW goes into render mode the opengl is not used in the sence as helping with the render. When your rendering it doesn't matter how powerful of a video card you have it will not help speed up rendering.

(2) Yes lowing the file size of the image will help save memory but at the cost of quality. This is why I still use tiffs or tga's for my image maps to help out on getting the best quality I can from my image maps. But this is up to the individual artists as a preference.

(3) Not sure I can completely answer this one but remember that LW has all your image maps loaded into memory so lowering the amount of memory used to render will allow for a couple of more images but not a few hundred.

Hope this helps some.

-Lee

sammael
09-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks BeeVee thats handy.

lede - 1 I think you misunderstood my first question ill try to explain a bit better, what I mean is does displaying the opengl textures while you work eat up extra system memory or are the textures stored purely in the video card memory?
2 I understand lowering the image size will decrease memory, but what i was wondering is that if i convert to indexed colour will i effectively be using less image memory or does LW need to convert it to a higher bitrate anyway before it can process the render... I think I have this one cleared up now anyway thanks to BeeVee. (a lower bit depth will in fact conserve memory).
3 yeah I guess that makes sense... Im curious though as to what is the advantage of changing this setting appart from more/less segments. maybe it is so you can just squeeze out that last drop of ram that you need :)

RedBull
09-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Hello all, I have a few queries im hoping someone can answer for me. I find myself again at a position in my current lightwave scene where I am starting to run out of memory.

1 - Does LW use the same resources to display opengl textures as it does for rendering? in other words if I have my scene set to display shaded solids or bounding boxes will I save more memory for rendering etc? or is this purely graphics card dependent?

2 - If I lower the the bit depth of my images from say 24 bit bitmaps to indexed 256 colour bitmaps will I save memory or does LW need to convert textures back to a higher dit depth before rendering anyway?

3 - Would lowering the segment memory limit allow me to render more complex scenes with nore image maps and geometry?

Thanks in advance,
Sam

1 - Bounding Box will take up less memory than Wireframe or Shaderd Texture..
OGL uses Mipmapping that can be turned off in the Image Editor as well as per surface. this creates a proxy (double) of all the imagemaps in your scene
and makes lower res copies for OGL.. (in turn taking up much more memory)

2 - Yes Bit depth will make a difference to render memory...
1024x1024x32 is obviously going to take more memory than 1024x1024x8.

3) Lower segment memory can help the running out of memory problems,
on certain scenes, it's always the first place you go if you have troubles.

Any other insight on how I could minimise memory usage and maximise scene complexity would be much appreciated.

One thing i notice about LW, is when you first load Layout, if you check the memory footprint in Taskmanager it's usually large, (72Mb when i just checked)
Minimizing to the Layout window to the taskbar, and then maximizing the window again, the memory used by windows for Layout.exe drops to (4.2Mb)
60Mb freed from just minimizing and maximizing the screen

Hope it helps.

BeeVee
09-26-2006, 01:59 AM
And it's not even 1280x1024x32 (bit I presume?) It's 1280x1024x32bpc (bits per channel, in other words 128 in total), whereas 1280x1024x8 for a greyscale image stays 1280x1024x8 in LightWave. A saving of 120! :D

B

sammael
09-26-2006, 02:25 AM
RedBull - Awesome man thanks a lot, this has cleared up a lot of things, I should be set now to cram in some detail.

Thanks all im pretty much sorted with this now.