PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new Mac?



Chilton
09-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Hi,

Are you buying a new Mac in the near future? If so, which one?

Darth Mole
09-24-2006, 03:32 PM
By 'soon' obviously I mean when 8-core machines are available :-)

ETA UB LW BTW? RSVP.

HowardBerry
09-24-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm hoping to buy a new MacBook Pro tomorrow... if the Core 2 Duo version is announced!

BazC
09-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Yup, at the moment I'm leaning towards a 24" 2.33GHz iMac but a Mac Pro is still a possibilty.

avkills
09-24-2006, 05:36 PM
I probably will next year. My G5 has some pretty hefty investments in it.

-mark

Jim_C
09-24-2006, 05:54 PM
What do you consider near future?

A week, month, year?

Chilton
09-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Hi Jim,


What do you consider near future?

A week, month, year?

Yes, exactly ;-)

I'm just curious what people are buying these days.

-Chilton

ScottSullivan
09-24-2006, 07:59 PM
Not sure if it would count, but my Macbook Pro is my first Mac and I just bought it about two months ago. I've transferred everything over from my XP box except for LW. Others said they've had success, but I'm holding off 'till the Universal comes out.

Scott

byte_fx
09-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Mac Pro.

No later than November but most likely within two weeks.

Very tempted to wait for the octa-core version but need new system now.

byte_fx

Kuzey
09-25-2006, 04:53 AM
The funny thing is I found an Apple store here in Izmir...so the fun begins :D

I'm planing on getting the next generations of either the Macbook Pro or it's little sister, the Macbook. Portability is my main issue and they just look super cool...well all the Macs do :D


Kuzey

TomT
09-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Just got another 3GHz MacPro in yesterday. Sweet little machines.
-T

Largemedium
09-26-2006, 02:19 AM
I ordered a MacPro 2.6 with X1900 last week. I just got an email notice from Apple that it shipped today and is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday. I also ordered the 23" ACD to go with it. I'm thinking of getting a second 23 to run in dual screen mode.

My next purchase is the upgrade to Lightwave 9, but I'm waiting for the UB. Until then, I'll struggle along with 8.0 in Rosetta. :grumpy:

Oh and by the way... I'm a new member to the forum. Hi everyone!

BeeVee
09-26-2006, 02:47 AM
At the very least get the upgrade to 8.5, please! It's free of charge to all LightWave 8 users...

B

marble_sheep
09-26-2006, 03:15 AM
Just got my MacPro last week. It's an absolutely amazing machine. Of course, my last computer was a 1.25x2 G4, so this is a bit of a step up ;) I can't wait to see what the UB version will do! Keep up the good work, Chilton!!

Captain Obvious
09-26-2006, 11:34 AM
I'd be all over a quad core Mac Pro like a horny dog with rabies.

BazC
09-26-2006, 11:44 AM
I'd be all over a quad core Mac Pro like a horny dog with rabies.

That really isn't a picture I wanted in my head! Thanks Cap'n :D

cresshead
09-30-2006, 07:31 PM
currently I'm leaning towards a 24" 2.33GHz iMac but a Mac Pro is still a possibilty...most probably i'll get the 24"imac then go get a 8core macpro next summer...so i'll have both!...:D


stee+cats

silicon graphics 320
sgi 230
acer turion 1.6
sony viao
dell
mac mini

dglidden
09-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Macbook Pro as soon as the Core 2 Duo lineup is announced.

Chilton
10-01-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm really looking forward to the C2 MBPs. I suspect that a year from now there won't be a non-64 bit Mac available from Apple.

Qslugs
10-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Soon as in last week. Spent the entire last week playing with it. Bummer is its my wifes. I may load Lightwave on it when she has downtime though :)

Alliante
10-17-2006, 07:59 AM
iMac for the value, but I might get a MacPro if I decide to allocate that much funds for my home-office workstation.

My personal workstation is my laptop lately, as I'm on the road more often than not.

Lightwolf
10-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Probably a new macMini for UB ports once the UB of LW is out... so hurry up Chilton! ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Chilton
10-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Probably a new macMini for UB ports once the UB of LW is out... so hurry up Chilton! ;)

Cheers,
Mike


What? Eh? Oh man, I was sleeping! Wow, I'm late for my intro to programming class ;-)

-Chilton

Alliante
10-17-2006, 08:43 AM
"Would it help if I got out and pushed?"
"It MIGHT!"

hehehe

Lightwolf
10-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Wow, I'm late for my intro to programming class ;-)

If you are, then you're too late for the UB as well *snicker* ;)

Cheers,
Mike

byte_fx
10-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Bought Mac Pro on Saturday.

byte_fx

dglidden
10-17-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm really looking forward to the C2 MBPs. I suspect that a year from now there won't be a non-64 bit Mac available from Apple.

I'm starting a pool on whether the C2 MBP or the LWUB gets released first... ;)

Chilton
10-17-2006, 05:56 PM
I personally thought the C2 MBPs were going to be released alongside the announcement of the C2's availability. I see now I was wrong, and that they'll probably be released in mid-November. But man, I'd love to have a 64-bit MacBook Pro.

-Chilton

NickLambert
10-19-2006, 04:36 PM
Macbook Pro as soon as the Core 2 Duo lineup is announced.

Money in the bank :thumbsup:

dglidden
10-24-2006, 09:33 AM
I personally thought the C2 MBPs were going to be released alongside the announcement of the C2's availability. I see now I was wrong, and that they'll probably be released in mid-November. But man, I'd love to have a 64-bit MacBook Pro.

-Chilton

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Time to run down to the apple store! Now I just need that UB release!!

Chilton
10-24-2006, 09:48 AM
SWEEEEEET

But I thought the Core 2 Duo was a 64 bit machine. Is it not?

Oh man, I just realized I don't have time to keep up on my processor specs anymore. I need more free time...

-Chilton

Captain Obvious
10-24-2006, 10:31 AM
The Core 2 Duo is 64-bit.

Chilton
10-24-2006, 11:17 AM
I wonder why they aren't pimping that more on their site...

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

No mention of '64'. This is huge. Hmmm.

-Chilton

Captain Obvious
10-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Because they got burned in the whole "zomg G5 is 64-bit" fiasco three years ago.

Chilton
10-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Well, I suppose this means they're all 64-bit except for the Mac Book and Mac Minis now.

64 bit Mac Book Pro... oh yeah.

-Chilton

Haven1000
10-24-2006, 12:59 PM
By 'soon' obviously I mean when 8-core machines are available :-)

ETA UB LW BTW? RSVP.

I'll be get me one of those as well:thumbsup:

dglidden
10-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Well, I suppose this means they're all 64-bit except for the Mac Book and Mac Minis now.

64 bit Mac Book Pro... oh yeah.

-Chilton

Yes the C2D has the EM64T extensions, which means it's a "64-bit" chip. (in that it's not like a "from the ground up" 64-bit chip but has 64-bit memory addressing capability and includes some 64-bit instructions, nailed to the usual mostly 32-bit intel core. but it's close enough for horseshoes, hand grenades, and people looking for 64-bit CPUs.)

Interestingly enough, the Mac Mini and I've been told the Mac Book as well have socketed CPUs which would mean you can theoretically plop in a C2D in place of the shipped CD chip and be up and running with a 64-bit system.

Captain Obvious
10-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Interestingly enough, the Mac Mini and I've been told the Mac Book as well have socketed CPUs which would mean you can theoretically plop in a C2D in place of the shipped CD chip and be up and running with a 64-bit system.
Not just theoretically! I'm not sure about the Macbook, I think it's soldered, but the Mac mini and iMac have socketable CPUs that are replaceable. This may not matter much for the iMac, since it's already C2D, but it does mean you can build a 64-bit render farm using Mac minis. Not that it would be worth the money; the Mac Pro would give you better performance per dollar spent. Especially when you consider the fact that you can't add more than 4 gigs of RAM in the Mac mini in the first place! :p

dglidden
10-24-2006, 04:57 PM
I guess I meant "theoretically" in the sense of I've seen the inside of a Mac Mini, and I've seen the inside of a Powerbook and a Mac Book and unless I had a gun to my head I'd like no part in even trying to get to the CPU in either one of those, much less replace it!

On the other hand, think of the mileage you could get out of a renderfarm of Minis.

"So, where's your render farm?"

"Right there."

"Where?"

"There!" (Pointing at stack of teeny tiny mac minis.)

"I thought those were the employee snack boxes!"

byte_fx
10-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Several people have replaced the cpus in Mac Minis.

A guy at XtremeSytems forums was probaly the first. Look under the Mac hardware section.

It's been a few months since I visited - by now he may have done an eight core Mac Pro or beat Apple to a Core 2 Duo Mac Mini or ?????.

Google "xtremesystems forums".

byte_fx

BazC
10-25-2006, 01:58 AM
Well, I suppose this means they're all 64-bit except for the Mac Book and Mac Minis now.

64 bit Mac Book Pro... oh yeah.

-Chilton

True but does it really matter since the Mac Pros are the only machines which will take enough RAM to make a difference!?

HowardBerry
10-25-2006, 05:10 AM
I'm hoping to buy a new MacBook Pro tomorrow... if the Core 2 Duo version is announced!


Well, now I can actually make that purchase! :)

BigHache
10-27-2006, 06:21 PM
With the change to Intel Mac processors, software companies are currently driving what/when I'll get. I would probably be looking at an iMac, but not until Adobe and Newtek are able to release UB. That's not a dig in any way, I just can't think about a system until the software will run native.

Gecko
10-30-2006, 07:18 AM
I have started loading up a new MacPro 2.66Ghz. Trouble im still using a dark ages version 7.5 version of Lightwave – doesn’t even boot on the MacPro! Should I dare ask about the UB version 9? Can’t wait to upgrade, load it and really test the speed of the machine.

dglidden
10-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro on the way ... need UB now!!

Qslugs
11-01-2006, 09:24 PM
With the change to Intel Mac processors, software companies are currently driving what/when I'll get. I would probably be looking at an iMac, but not until Adobe and Newtek are able to release UB. That's not a dig in any way, I just can't think about a system until the software will run native.

Hey, just a heads up. I am able to run Photoshop cs2, Illustrator cs2, Indesign cs2 and create pdf's on a mac pro dual 3.0 with a gig of ram. I don't notice any issues as of yet and its been a few weeks since I installed everything.

Largemedium
11-02-2006, 04:05 AM
Hey, just a heads up. I am able to run Photoshop cs2, Illustrator cs2, Indesign cs2 and create pdf's on a mac pro dual 3.0 with a gig of ram. I don't notice any issues as of yet and its been a few weeks since I installed everything.

Yeah same here on a 2.66 with 2gb of ram. The Adobe suite actually runs a bit faster than my old machine. Of course that's probably because I'm coming from a 500mhz G4 laptop :D The only trouble I have found is that every once in awhile, I notice a very slight delay when selecting a menu item. If you're coming from a highend G5 then that may be a noticeable problem. Other than that, I'm impressed and waiting for the UB from Adobe is not a big deal when you consider how fast this machine is on everything else.

Also, since rosetta is hungry for ram I would say that 2-4 gb is optimum if you rely on non-universal apps. Oh... and Lightwave runs great too... on the Windows partition!

kainekokun
11-02-2006, 05:54 AM
I'm seriously considering to get a Mac Pro in the coming weeks.

BazC
11-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Just for the record I originally stated I would get an iMac but I've actually ordered a Mac Pro. Can't wait for it to arrive! :D