PDA

View Full Version : Sad...

HowardM
09-24-2006, 12:49 PM
so, uh is anyone doing anything with LW FX at ALL? please post something, anything... this section is so dead and its really, really sad.... :(

Thomas M.
09-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi Howard, just tried to move aprox. 2000 suckers on a giant squid via Metalink and ClothFX. Well, what can I say more than it "sucked" pretty much. LW dynamics, apart from memory management and CA is probably the biggest weakness in LW. Everybody seemed to be so happy about Syflex for LW. Haven't seen the product on their website nor hearing in any forum about a happy user. I just wonder what Worley is cooking these days. Latest Sas release in my opinion is rather ridiculous. No fPrime, nor a hair shader which is up to date to be seen on the horizon. It's really hard these days to stay with LW if you don't do 08/15 work.

What about your experiences with Maya? Is it the holy grail or just a bunch of other problems which can't be solved?

Cheers
Thomas

HowardM
09-24-2006, 02:46 PM
hmmm have you tried animating everything 1st then simming clothFX on that? probably would be best workflow... dont apply metalink or the cloth until youve got the anim ready...

Maya is great, has its share of issues, but is great because it can be customized or tools can be written to solve anything!

rakker16mm
09-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Well...

I have been trying to do something with cloth as it would be a great solution if I could get it to work. I'm new to LW so I assumed it was me. I decided to check the forum to see if i was indeed doing something wrong.

Basically the cloth seems to fail and pass trough my object when I need it to drape down from the object. I can cheat if I have to, but it's a real pain. I though upping the subdivisions would help but it really hasn't.

I'm open to suggestions...

avkills
09-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Well...

I have been trying to do something with cloth as it would be a great solution if I could get it to work. I'm new to LW so I assumed it was me. I decided to check the forum to see if i was indeed doing something wrong.

Basically the cloth seems to fail and pass trough my object when I need it to drape down from the object. I can cheat if I have to, but it's a real pain. I though upping the subdivisions would help but it really hasn't.

Did you set up your non-cloth object as a collision object? Anyway, fabric dynamics are a pain in LW from my experience.

-mark

Thomas M.
09-25-2006, 02:07 PM
Any news from Syflex or is it just a legend?

HowardM
09-26-2006, 03:16 PM
rakker, post a scene and lets take a look... draping fabric in incredibly easy with clothfx...do a search for some of my posts on cgtalk or spinquad even here... also look for something proton posted recently about a tablecloth i think...

dunno about syflex for lw just yet but im sure its on its way...

if not theres always maya ;)

stevecullum
09-27-2006, 02:37 AM
Well...

Rather than use a collision object with your cloth sims, use a second instance of clothfx on the collision surface. Just set the points to fixed and collisions to all. I generally see much better results doing this...

-EsHrA-
09-27-2006, 03:53 AM
im a bitt sad too to be honest... its going from bad to worse... :(
is everyone using blender or what?

mlon

HowardM
09-27-2006, 04:14 AM
Rather than use a collision object with your cloth sims, use a second instance of clothfx on the collision surface. Just set the points to fixed and collisions to all. I generally see much better results doing this...

brilliant idea, wonder how well it works, will have to try it out....

stevecullum
09-27-2006, 04:27 AM
brilliant idea, wonder how well it works, will have to try it out....

It really depends on what you doing, but for things like characters I have seen better results. But the basic stuff like draping a cloth over a box, you still get the same cloth going through corners problem I always get....

lmings
09-27-2006, 06:10 PM
It really depends on what you doing, but for things like characters I have seen better results. But the basic stuff like draping a cloth over a box, you still get the same cloth going through corners problem I always get....

I guess maybe I am the odd man out. I have been pleased with LW cloth. My on wish would be that it did not take so long to calculate. I have attached a short movie file from an animation I am helping a friend with. I am during the cape for him. The animation I did just to test out clothfx. I was happy with the results.

Lennon

If you are having problems with this movie file, right-click on it, select "Save Target As", and finally change the file extension from ".htm" to ".mov". Hope this helps.

mav3rick
09-28-2006, 09:41 AM
hy hm :)just 2 make u happy

RedBull
09-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Syflex is already available for LW9.0 now.
$2200 for a floating licence or $220 for a Student Academic..

:)

In concerns with other FX for LW, particles haven't been touched in ages,
HV is still at version 3.0, Cloth is worse than Motion Designer.
FPrime doesn't render any volumetrics, LW hair is lacking...
Blenders fluids destroy any LW method, Skytracer is far behind Taki or C4D.

Is it a real surprise when you neglect something for so long, that people go other places?

UnCommonGrafx
09-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Man,
The lw hair thing is getting a workout. Try to do a wig and dynamics. If someone knows how to get dynamics and collisions with a wig, I would love you. Well... appreciate you greatly.

(Fortunately, I've found the shave.p that renders beautifully.)

stevecullum
09-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Not according to this...

http://www.syflex.biz/buy.html

Where can you get it?

RedBull
09-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Steve the link is now fixed....
If you read the website or place an order, Lightwave is listed as an option.

SyFlex is available in the following flavors:
Maya Complete or Unlimited 7.0/8.0 (Linux, Windows or Mac OSX)
XSI Essentials 5.x (Linux, Windows)
Houdini (Linux)
LightWave 9.0 (Windows)

Hows that for service..... ?

rakker16mm
09-29-2006, 01:49 AM
Did you set up your non-cloth object as a collision object? Anyway, fabric dynamics are a pain in LW from my experience.

-mark

I did set it up as you describe, but no soap. I did a little reading "1001 Tips & Tricks by Beckwith, Warner and Wood" and they suggest making the mesh denser where the collision is going to take place, which sounds like good advice if your scene and objects are fairly simple. I'll revisit this feature when I have more time.

stevecullum
09-29-2006, 02:21 AM
Hehe..great. I just got to get a project that justifies the outlay - cheers!

lmings
09-29-2006, 09:57 PM
I did set it up as you describe, but no soap. I did a little reading "1001 Tips & Tricks by Beckwith, Warner and Wood" and they suggest making the mesh denser where the collision is going to take place, which sounds like good advice if your scene and objects are fairly simple. I'll revisit this feature when I have more time.

I don't know what the protocol is here or if you can, but if you want send me your file. I can set up the cloth and send it back. But first, make sure that everything that you model is using real world measurements. This helps alot.