PDA

View Full Version : Subpatch Mode question

wtdedula
09-24-2006, 07:32 AM
Hello All;
I have a question about the subpatch mode that is entered by pressing [TAB]. I am working through some of the tutorials in the "Inside Lightwave 8" book - specifically the "Modeling Electronics" chapter and I am wondering if you are supposed to have subpatch mode turned on all of the time while modeling this (or any other) project or if it should generally be left off and then turned on from time to time to check your progress? What do most folks find helpful and what is generally the norm ?

If has been my experience many times when I leave subpatch mode turned on all of the time, while moving points around to get the exact shape I want, that when I finally turn subpatch off after a while, the actual polygonal object looks pretty crazy with points all over the place.

Also, atleast for me, it seems cunfusing to work with all of those lines and points while subpatch is turned on.

Thanks for any advice and/or techniques you can suggest to make things work better for me.

Tim

jameswillmott
09-24-2006, 07:34 AM
If subpatches are confusing you can turn off guide lines and cages in the display options in Modeler.

katsh
09-24-2006, 07:48 AM
about 70% to 80% of the time of modeling, i turn on subD.
only when i have to do precise point or poly operation(like mirror clone or something) i turn off SubD.

wtdedula
09-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Wow - Thanks for the quick responses :-) ! OK now I know the general technique to use. I sort of suspected this because the "Inside Lightwave 8" book instructed us to turn it on, but so far, as far as I got, we were NOT instructed to turn it off. Also, thanks for the pictures, katch ... this was most helpful. Also, I'll try to turn off guide lines and cages to see if this helps.

Tim

katsh
09-24-2006, 08:20 AM
arrg my bad,i was thinking myself and i was exaggerative a bit.

"70% to 80%" <--- this is not correct.

it depend on the phase.
1.creating the model. "50% to 60%" turn on subD.
2.almost comple and modifying. "70% to 80%" turn on subD.
3.after complete. "90% to 100%" turn on subD.

sorry i didnt know about myself....

wtdedula
09-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Got it, katch. I read ahead in the book "Inside Lightwave 8" and I have discovered a few things wierd ...

1) In the chapter "modeling Electronics", Dan tells us to turn on Subpatch 3 times but I havn't seen once where he told us to turn it off.

2) In the chapter "Modeling Electronics", some (perhaps many) of Dan's illustrations, the polygons sure look "square" rather than "round" as you would expect if you were in subpatch mode.

Also, I would like to email Dan directly since he wrote the tutorial but can't find his email address anywhere nor can I find the forum he talks about on www.3dgarage.com ...

"We have a forum setup you can visit and discuss your work. Use the forum if you have our course or not."

I don't have his signature courseware, but I do have two of his books "Inside Lightwave 7" and "Inside Lightwave 8".

Sekhar
09-24-2006, 09:35 AM
In LW9, NT added Catmull-Clark SubD (in addition to LW8's Subpatch) - with that one, display can be sluggish when the poly count is high.

stevecullum
09-24-2006, 11:35 AM
In LW9, NT added Catmull-Clark SubD (in addition to LW8's Subpatch) - with that one, display can be sluggish when the poly count is high.

The default sub Patch level of Catmull Clarks is 3 which is way too high IMO. Drop it down to 1 or 2, which is the equivelent to old subPatch 4. You will see drastic improvements in the number of poly's before it becomes like a slug.

That said, its implementation still has errors, so you may have to jump back to poly mode temporarily for certain functions.

Smcrorey
09-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Also, I would like to email Dan directly since he wrote the tutorial but can't find his email address anywhere nor can I find the forum he talks about on www.3dgarage.com ...

At the very bottom of the 3dgarage home page there is an email for contact as well as a phone number..

"CUSTOMER SERVICE: Fastest response: [email protected]

or 847 755 4488."

I called, and Dan The Man answered the phone himself. I'm thinking that this line is normally staffed otherwise, but I don't know.

INCREDIBLY nice dude. He didn't flinch, call me names, or strike me down with his lightwave might for the 2 incredibly stupid questions I had. :)

hrgiger
09-25-2006, 05:53 PM
I rarely adjust anything in subpatch mode, I do almost everything while in polygon mode. My mesh is much cleaner as a result and points do not overlap making them hard to select. Once you understand the results of subpatching, there is less of a need to have it turned on while modeling.

toby
09-25-2006, 10:46 PM
I never turn subpatch off! Well, 95% of the time. When I need to stitch some parts together or similar operation, I'll turn off subd. A lot of the curves and bulges you get with subd are unpredictable and I'd have to switch them back on all the time anyway. I think it's recommended to leave them on when you're new at it. But follow Dan's instructions carefully! It won't do you any good to get confused with what we say!