PDA

View Full Version : Object and Scene icons are low res in OS X

drclare
06-10-2003, 12:56 AM
My object and scene icons are the 32x32 pixel format in OS X, so they appear pixelated when i set my icons sizes to larger. My program icons are the regular 128x128 size though. Anyone know why this is, or is it like this for everyone? I installed Lightwave on OS 9 before i installed it on OS X. Would that have anything to do with it? Thank you for any help.

toby
06-10-2003, 02:24 AM
mine's like that too - it's not a glitch, it just means the programs weren't modified to create a 128 px preview instead of 32

you can make them yourself actually :^)

riki
06-11-2003, 03:50 AM
You can make them yourself, but then you have to go through the pain of changing every icon manually. Am I wrong?

toby
06-11-2003, 03:57 AM
you are correct - and it's not worthwhile, unless you want to put it in the dock and you want it to be pretty

Beamtracer
06-11-2003, 04:55 AM
It's pretty crazy that some software vendors go to all the trouble of porting their app to OS X, and then couldn't be bothered making new Aqua-style icons.

Lightwave's blue and yellow icons look very cool sitting in the dock.

Johnny
06-11-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
It's pretty crazy that some software vendors go to all the trouble of porting their app to OS X, and then couldn't be bothered making new Aqua-style icons.

Lightwave's blue and yellow icons look very cool sitting in the dock.

It's also helpful and useful! unless I have the Icon View in my project's window set to the largest size, I can't distinguish between Scenes and Objects; the icons look identical at the small size.

Not the end of the world, but quick, easy visual identification of objects is, I'd say, basic to a *graphical* user interface.

Johnny

eblu
06-11-2003, 07:51 AM
heh.
I've been in a crossplatform enviroment so long... I just look at the dot extension! (i have to add them myself to the filename, when i save the files) and its not like Lightwave's content directory hierarchy hasn't beaten me into submission... if i cant tell what kind of Lightwave file I'm looking at, I just look at the name of the directory it is in... "Scenes" "Objects" "Images".... why the heck cant Lightwave build its own content directories? its a brainless task that takes almost no effort, and the end resut is the same thing every time, so WHY ISNT LIGHTWAVE DOING IT? now I'm just annoyed ;)

Johnny
06-11-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by eblu
why the heck cant Lightwave build its own content directories? its a brainless task that takes almost no effort, and the end resut is the same thing every time, so WHY ISNT LIGHTWAVE DOING IT? now I'm just annoyed ;)

there is a 3D app out there whose authors are obviously enamored of the Lightwave interface, and this app (Pixels 4) DOES make project folder, complete with folders for models, scenes, .rib files, image maps, etc.

Near as I can tell, there are only about 5 guys doing the software engineering on this app, so it can't be like building the Hoover dam.

J

eblu
06-11-2003, 09:09 AM
jonny, this is a bit off topic...
pixels is an old program, so is lightwave. They are both variants on a theme from the origin of the 3d market, when there was only one way to work in 3d.... (one window, at least 3 orthogonal views and if your lucky... a perspective view, with grey backgrounds and a text driven button interface) the further back you go in time, the more all these apps look alike... in fact softimage, wavefront, and Alias (they used to be 2 disctinct products and companies) also looked like this. so its not really a form of flattery of lightwave...

It was the only way to visualize 3d at the time, so why mess with a good thing. It harkens back to the days when you programmed in unix, wrote your own UI (for the os), and freely distributed your ideas and products because its all for fun anyway.

toby
06-11-2003, 06:14 PM
"why the heck cant Lightwave build its own content directories"
:rolleyes:
It's just a few folders, just make an empty directory and clone it 10 times -

Kuzey
06-12-2003, 06:30 PM
Mmmmm...128x128 pixel file icons would be cool.

I wipped this up in five minutes and we probably don't need the text but you get the idea :p

I hope to see large icons in Lightwave 8!!

Kuzey

toby
06-12-2003, 06:38 PM
color coded!
good idea!
Bishop should go!

Johnny
06-12-2003, 06:45 PM
Kuzey, that is exactly what it ought to be like...the words help, but just the different-colored icons do it for me..

would be nice to see that in the next version!

Johnny

Kuzey
06-12-2003, 07:41 PM
I've made a request on the Feature Requests forum...just to make sure Newtek sees it ;)

Kuzey

eblu
06-13-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by toby
"why the heck cant Lightwave build its own content directories"
:rolleyes:
It's just a few folders, just make an empty directory and clone it 10 times -

actually I built an applescript that does it for you, but thats not the point. LW is LAZY! they Insist on this arcane directory setup, and then they Insist that you do the work! 7 years ago, Alias poweranimator 3.2, did this mindless drudgery for you, here i am today, wasting time, doing the work that should be done automatically By the program. there is no excuse for Netwek to have left this Easy to implement and Time saving, function out of LW.