PDA

View Full Version : A Few ?'s on Getting started

big-dog1965
09-23-2006, 01:14 AM
Hi all
Iím new to this 3d stuff, but time has came I need to learn
I down loaded a bunch of videos (get lost because of lack of experience)
Where do you start?
is there a model of a human figure I can play with to learn?
I assume you can have layer much like Photoshop so if a arm is on one, leg on one and so on maybe I can catch on.

I will be great full for any help

DiedonD
09-23-2006, 01:48 AM
Well if you have video tutorials you have nothing to worry about. Just do as the tutor does, get the results, then alter from that, and play around, broaden your horizon as you play. Theres only one golden advice I can give you, that is of huge importance, so take a good listen, cause with that you can do anything in LW, given time:

TWEAKY DI TWEAK, TWEAKEN

What it means is that prepare yourself to go back and fourth throughout any project from now and forever, just try not to loose the sense of fun as you go tweaking throughout.

Yamba
09-23-2006, 06:31 AM
Hi,

Read the post ten down from yours in LW_Community called "Starting from Scratch".

Silkrooster's posted PDF will get to you onto Tutorial sites. Most of the sites on the PDF are where I started, mind you I haven't got very far - I'm just thick I think.

Try Dan Alban's book for your Version of Lightwave and you'll be off and running.

Regards
Yamba
mac since IIe and still sane, well almost.

Dahfish
09-25-2006, 06:52 AM
Hi Big Dog,

Welcome aboard.

Having tried many different places for learning, I personally found that video tutorials were the easiest to understand and follow and mix in written tutorials. The best thing you can do is try a variety of subjects within 3D to get a broad understanding and when you later come back to something specific you might trigger a memory of having looked over something before.

* There are many ways to create the same thing
* 3D is mostly problem solving
* If it looks right, then it's probably right

You may find a video tutorial that I created helpful. I've made it in-depth and tried to give explainations for each step.

Newtek are hosting the files, but haven't gotten an official link up yet, I should probably send them a reminder.

Link to Thread:
Video Tutorial: Chain and Sprockets (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53723&highlight=chain+sprockets)

Link to Hosted Files:
Video Tutorial Files (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/animation/chain_sprockets/)

It's 4hours 15minutes, make sure to have the Xvid codec installed and I hope you find it helpful.

Best of luck to you and don't be a stranger.

Cheers

Dahfish.

MiniFireDragon
09-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Not to rain on your learning time, but the piece by piece figures (such as arm on one layer and leg on another) have since been done away with for full mesh figures (nothing in pieces accept maybe the eyes) with bones to deform the mesh (something you will learn about) and weight maps (something you will eventually learn about) that define how much of the mesh deforms with the bone.

Other then that, I'd follow the above suggested advice. Keep in mind there are 2 main aspects of 3D, and keeping them seperate might help learning. Those aspects are:

Modeling
Animating

And sub catagories of each (in the order for the way I found easiest to learn)
Modeling
Block Modeling
Spline Modeling
Surfacing
Endomorphs
Bones
Weight Maps

Animating
Cameras
Lights
Key Framing
Parenting
Dynamics/Particles
Morph Mixing
IK/FK

Even if you want to import and use other peoples models, it's still good to understand the basics of modeling (box modeling) because it covers alot of the mesh manipulation tools.

big-dog1965
09-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Dahfish
Got up this moring and seen your reply post and downloaded the Video Tutorial Files. Thinking ok Ill scan a couple and then go about my day till I have time to watch in full length, now that I have blew off most of the day watching videos. LOL Your Video Tutorial was great nice job.
I have a question can I use a drafting package to do the bacic geometry and import that for use in 3D stuff?

big-dog1965
09-25-2006, 01:08 PM
MiniFireDragon
Keeping the main aspects in mind might just be the key. I have been reading and looking at videos so much I donít know where the basics start and end.
I had great vision in doing some elaborate 3d deal. I think start with a simple circle or maybe a 5 point star might be better if starting from scratch.
I also looked at Lightwave and 3Dmax learning the menus and tool locations is mind boggling.

big-dog1965
09-25-2006, 06:32 PM
Well I loaded light wave thought I was ready to start.
The menus didn’t look like any of the Tut video menus so I went to change and poof where did they go and how do I get them back?
Im searching the forum for answers as I’m posting this
If any one has quick answer let me know
NEVER MIND ALT F2

Warwind
09-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Press "d" for display properties, go to the "Interface" tab and uncheck "Hide Toolbar".

I wouldn't go changing my menus around until I was really familiar with the software (I'm not yet). I still spend time finding where commmands mentioned in tutorials are when the menus in the tutorial don't match up with mine...it's helping me learn where things are.

Hope this helps!
:)

big-dog1965
09-25-2006, 08:49 PM
It gets frustrating looking all over for stuff that probably is basic.

Hey on another subject I’ve seen on the net some post saying Light wave isn’t keeping up with other software on the 3D/Antimation market what are a couple of thoughts on that I realize this is a light wave forum and the opions may be byest so just a thought or 2, as I don’t want this post about that it was started for my learning not to bash 1 over another.
I’ve looked at 3DMax a little it’s got some good plug-in it seems, but light wave had better video Tuts I thought.

Dahfish
09-26-2006, 04:58 AM
Hello Big Dog,

I'm really glad you enjoyed my tutorial and hope you found it informative.

As for importing geometry, its not something I've personally tried, but believe you can do so to a certain extent. I'm the wrong person to advise you on that though.

Hahaha I did the exact same thing when learning LW, I clicked on hide toolbars in the menu wondering what it did and bosh urrrrr how do I get them back. I rememeber searching forums and I'm not sure I found the answer there or if I just started hamfisted hitting of all the keys on the keyboard until it came back :cursin:

Right a specific tutorial for learning the interface (other than Newteks own tutorials)

Link:
SimplyLightWave: Free Tutorials (http://www.simplylightwave.com/movie_pages/category.mhtml?cat_id=23)

Have a look at the "LW Modeler UI" tutorial by Philip Meyer.

Ah and a written tutorial I followed a while ago that really gave me confidence on architectural work, to the point I decided to tackle the modelling of my own home. (just looking it now) Found it :)

Link:
mgfx.net - Written Tutorials (http://forum.mgfx.net/)

I recommend the "Mansion Hall" and I was impressed with "Lantern" I didn't try the "Fantasy Letter".

You'll no doubt get caught out on bits and bobs here and there like hiding the toolbars etc, so just pop back and ask and have fun.

All the best

Dahfish / Jeremy.