PDA

View Full Version : Video card for lightwave

robk
09-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Can anyone point me to a recent thread or recommend a midrange video card they would recommend for use with Lightwave.
i.e. nvidia 7600 gs/gt or radeon 1800 gto
Do most people have better luck with nvidia or ati cards

Lito
09-22-2006, 10:44 PM
I'd recommend nvidia cards over ati cards. There seems to be less problems with nvidia than ati cards.

androidmaker
09-22-2006, 11:04 PM
i have the 7600 gt and i have had no problems at all. it works great

katsh
09-22-2006, 11:53 PM
i have the quadroFX500 and i have had no problems at all. it works great

Paulifra
09-23-2006, 07:18 AM
Extraction from my earlier post :

Maybe one interesting subject, not said in my former mail.

With all my former top qualty video cards ( in the past ) i never expierenced a drametic influence on speed or possibilities, but that's only true for lightwave.

I have the impression lightwave is not very sensitive to videocards at all if you look at a mid format gaming card or 3d card and on the other hand top quality video cards.

If you have look at 3dstudio with this top level video cards it is a completely different story, much more important what kind off video card you use.

Dispite the fact i have two top level cards ( pny fx4400 and pny 3000g ) i don't think they are worth so much money for 85% off 3d application users.

Where this kind of cards belong is in situations where 3d project presentations directly out off the pc are used, using the two digital outs combined for very high reslution.

Making presentations on big projection screens, where mutations on the pc side can be translated directly on presentation screen for the people who are looking at it. ( meetings about projects, or new product presentations )

One aspect is always true, a 3d card is alway better for 3d then a quick gamer card. I am not going to tell a story ( why this is true ) here, because you can found plenty information of it on the internet.

In the past may people liked gaming and as a second 3d, so they primary where interested in a 3d gaming card also be able to do 3d work.

Noweadays you can think reverse, a very good top 3d card can also serve you 3d gaming and it is a better choice for real 3d work.

theo
09-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Noweadays you can think reverse, a very good top 3d card can also serve you 3d gaming and it is a better choice for real 3d work.

I would agree with this as well.

robk
09-23-2006, 09:30 PM
I picked up a 7600 gt today
Thanks for all the respones