PDA

View Full Version : FREE high res texture library!

99sproth
09-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Hey guys

Im working on a free texture library as part of a site for game artists.

www.gameartfriends.com (http://www.gameartfriends.com) and click on the link for the texture library.

I've uploaded 70 high res images sofar (I have thousands of images but I think I'd rather grow it slowly with only the best.

Opinions would be great. And I hope the textures are handy. I'll be adding a keyword search soon and some other stuff. ( as well as a few hundred photos )

Cheers

Simon

99sproth
09-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Update. 20 new high res photos added.

-Si

Warwind
09-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Nice, but are they available as one zip file?

99sproth
09-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Not yet.

but I am designing a system, that will allow you to select say 15-20 and then download them as a zip. The more targeted aproach will save bandwidth.

But not till I have a few more textures collected.

toby
09-22-2006, 04:52 PM
Great stuff!
Thanks!

kmaas
09-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Nice work, but what are the licensing terms? Public domain (this would be nice - there really isn't enough PD stuff out there) like the Blender texture library? If you need help, Creative Commons is wonderful for that kind of stuff. You don't have to be able to speak legallese to use their licenses.

Exception
09-23-2006, 01:08 PM
I think there are milliopns of texture sites out there...
It would be really cool if ALL the textures would tile properly. I can never seem to find tiling textures. They either tile with blotch patterns or not at all...
See, anyone can take a photo of a wall... it takes skill and work to remove the barrel distortion, vignetting and tile em up...

I'd love to see that. Go for it!

99sproth
09-23-2006, 01:17 PM
I've written a tutorial on how to make you textures tile. I't will be on that page soon. :)

And FYI it takes a lot of effort to take photo shots for textures. First of all you need to use a long focal zoom tripod, overcast day, exact no highlights lighting.. etc etc.

but frankly who needs tiling textures anymore? I work on a game as an environment artist and only the ground textures are tiled.... If I suggested it on a film gig I'd get fired. :)

but yeah tutorial is written. Its photoshop based though.

-Si

kmaas
09-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Hey, I'm OK with non-tiling textures (some of them look really nice), but without licensing terms on the page, I can't really use them for anything but 'fair use' guidelines.

99sproth
09-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Ok

Copyright notice up. I will append it with more legalese and a more permanent notice when my flatmate moves in. (shes studying law. :) )

Btw I have areal respect that you guys actually brought up the copyright, most people wouldn't even care. :)

-Si

Exception
09-23-2006, 02:54 PM
You don't use tiling textures?
So you create all bricks in a brick wall by hand?
Or... all roof shingles?
All concrete pour holes?
Asphalt?
Pavement?

99sproth
09-23-2006, 03:02 PM
You don't use tiling textures?
So you create all bricks in a brick wall by hand?
Or... all roof shingles?
All concrete pour holes?
Asphalt?
Pavement?

Very few tiled textures only for floors, and even then as big as possible to avoid disgusting repetition. But seriously, tiled texutres are to be avoided at all costs in most pipelines. I guess if our game was set in modern times we would be using more.

But to be fair if you were going to use tiled textures (if you reeally had to). Wouldnt you want to do that yourself, to get it the way you want? Is ten minutes in photoshop with the clone/heal tools that big a deal?

Martin Adams
09-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Looks great, some useful textures in there.

I'm lucky to have imageSynth (http://www.allegorithmic.com) which was bundled with another popular 3D application. Its great for generating tiling textures from photos like these. I do however have a collection of 3DTotal (www.3dtotal.com) textures which are naturally tiling.

Aside from that, it would be nice if your copyright notice mentioned use of broadcast and film. I know you've mentioned animation, but that seems a little too generic.

Bog
09-23-2006, 04:20 PM
That's really brilliant! Thanks a bunch. It's great that you're making your resource avaible. A lot of us get paid to do this as a living (amazing, ain't it?) so the copyright/licencing issues high in a lot of our heads - the last thing we want when the job's in the can, the boots are on the desk and the beer's in the hand is a lawyer saying "Eeerrrr, you used my client's imagery in your job, you owe him 80% of what you made on the job, and you owe me twice that." ;)

Have you thought about maybe pooling resources with www.presetcentral.com ? They've got a lot of cool stuff going on there - maybe you two could help each other out?

99sproth
09-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Hey Mark, no problem glad you like them. :) Saw your book rework stuff on Newtek europe. Nice job. Got any good paper textures? :p

Martin Image synth looks good. Although I find that a lot of those programs outputs need to be teweaked a lot in photoshop. Theres no match for a texture artist, photoshop and a wacom!

I'm glad to see preset central are back up. I used to use it on a weekly basis when I was starting out. I guess now in realtime I can't be messing with procedurals and stuff. 8/

kmaas
09-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the copyright notice!

One thing I noticed though - if these are mostly targeted towards making games, and you can't reproduce the textures, how can you distribute the game without removing the textures? One other thing - if the rights can be revoked at any time by the copyright holder (I don't know if this is just you or not), it seems a little volatile to render 1,000,000 frames with one of your textures in it just to have the rights revoked and have to re-render them all (I know, it's a little extreme, but possible). Just a couple thoughts.

99sproth
09-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Hey kmass

Huh? You can reproduce the textures for a game? :S

The final clause is basicly incase we find someone who exploits our wording or find a loophole. Just to cover our backs incase somone decides to put the photos on a plane and resize the image and decides thats met the copyright rules and can to resell them.

Its not so I can pull the rug out from under peoples feet. I'm actually a really nice chap. :dance: Have you ever read a EULA or contract for your job/internet/loan etc? If so you probably know where I'm coming from. ("we retain the right to disconnect your service and cancel your contract without notice")

And when am I going to start seeing some renders? :D

kmaas
09-23-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm actually a really nice chap. :dance:

No doubt! You've already given us a great resource. But are they all yours, or could other people who have posted them yank the rights? It's something I'd be concerned about if I were making a game with them. :D

kmaas
09-23-2006, 07:23 PM
I guess my point is, it's a gamble I think most companies wouldn't be willing to take.

99sproth
09-24-2006, 02:47 AM
No doubt! You've already given us a great resource. But are they all yours, or could other people who have posted them yank the rights? It's something I'd be concerned about if I were making a game with them. :D

No I own all the rights. all the photos are mine. If I ever get any photos I have not taken I will ensure that I hold the copyright before posting them.

Exception
09-24-2006, 10:54 AM
But to be fair if you were going to use tiled textures (if you reeally had to). Wouldnt you want to do that yourself, to get it the way you want? Is ten minutes in photoshop with the clone/heal tools that big a deal?

Yes it is, because in a typical scene I have 20 textures, and I have to make one of these scenes pretty much every day. That means 20 times 10 minutes each day, minus the ones I can re-use, which is not often.
I have absolutely no idea how you would go about visualising a brick building without a tiling brick texture in any kind of decent timeframe. Really. But then, you're doing games, and I'm not...

Old render attached...

99sproth
09-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Yes it is, because in a typical scene I have 20 textures, and I have to make one of these scenes pretty much every day. That means 20 times 10 minutes each day, minus the ones I can re-use, which is not often.
I have absolutely no idea how you would go about visualising a brick building without a tiling brick texture in any kind of decent timeframe. Really. But then, you're doing games, and I'm not...

Old render attached...

I guess you have to visualise a perfect world. :D Wheras I have to make everything as decreped as possible. I'll do some tiled ones to go with the tutorial methinks. I mean if theres demand then its worth doing.

Bog
09-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Aye, often the real art in CGI is making things look banged up, used and covered with grot. Which makes me laugh like a drain when I see people lighting a real car for a still photo... you've got the CAD files, you want it to look beyond immaculate, just render the durn thing... ;)

sammael
09-25-2006, 06:00 AM
another great site

http://www.cgtextures.com

Edit: oops I failed to read your first post, sorry to reign on your parade like that, I just thought you were pointing out a decent texture libary... not your very own! Anyway the above site is a great resource for textures as well if people have not seen it yet. I found it handy for the grunge maps.

Thanks for the sharing :)