PDA

View Full Version : ScreamerNet Controller ?????????????????

hokeypokey
06-10-2003, 12:03 AM
:confused:
What's this controller thing? Why is this network rendering thing such a hassle? With the technology out there, this is increadibly frustrating! I just want to do animations, not write the programs. That's sombody else's job. You guys sell this reportedly stellar software package with an added feature called "ScreamerNet." If you bought a car called the Screamer Machine, would it arrive all in pieces, and missing most? No, one would expect to turn the key and hit 60 in about 4secs., and look awesome doing it. LightWave's "ScreamerNet" resembles the vehicle from the Beverly Hillbillies. The only difference here is that the hillbillie vehicle made it to Beverly Hills. The only possible justification you can have for giving this function such a name, is that it makes you "scream" bloody murder, and when you finally regain consiousness the following day, you rise to find your hands filled with clumps of your own bloody hair, and quite possibly some remnants of the family pet. What you should call this network rendering feature is Fred's Half-Assed 1985 Binge Drinking Stab at Network RenderingNet! Sorry for ranting, but I just can't understand why something that has cost me this much jack, has so many freaking bugs!

toby
06-10-2003, 12:31 AM
that was funny -
*feel* better? :^)

Beamtracer
06-10-2003, 04:53 AM
:D Very funny!!!

Newtek has previously acknowledged on this forum that Screamernet is difficult to use, and they're considering improvements. What that entails I don't know.

With network rendering features, I think that Newtek should consider each platform separately (OS X, Windows, Linux) and create a network renderer that takes advantage of each OSs unique features and advantages.

There are features in OS X that would make network rendering easier if Newtek decided to take advantage of them.

eblu
06-10-2003, 06:15 AM
beam,
i have never noticed newtek acknowlege anything of the sort.

jdavidbakr
06-10-2003, 08:16 AM
I wonder what sort of network rendering options are out there for other packages? I came from ElectricImage where they had the best network render concept I have seen anywhere, their Renderama. However, there were bugs in that which would delete your objects right off of your hard drive, which pretty much rendered it useless (no pun intended). On the other hand, I have tried to use After Effects network rendering and it is a pain to use as well. I have had even less fortune with AE than with LW.

jpburns
06-12-2003, 08:03 AM
I found it so difficult that I wrote a utility for it, and it's free. Just go to http://www.jamesburnsdesign.com/TOT/LWsequencer.html and have a look.

LW Sequencer will let you set up a ScreamerNet type 3 render, and make it pretty easy. It won't help with -2 renders, but other people have decent explanations/utilities for that...

jpburns
06-12-2003, 08:04 AM
Oh... I should mention that it's OSX only...

jcool
06-12-2003, 08:45 AM
I've used Screamernet for a long time on Windows, and it runs pretty reliably as long as you know how to set it up, and have the right permissions, etc. I'll have a Mac renderfarm hopefully sometime next month, so I guess I'll find out if there are bigger problems on the Mac side.

That said, it could be much easier to use. Stealthnet was a good idea, but the first version didn't seem to work at all, so I gave up on it and I don't think Newtek ever really got it working. (and I don't believe it exists for the Mac...)