PDA

View Full Version : input/output error in modeler?

lord
06-09-2003, 06:26 PM
File load or save incomplete due to input/output error or incorrect file format.

:confused:

Anyone know what this might mean? Happily humming along and this happens.
repeatidly now.

Tried saving as an increment "Shift-S". which works once then tried saving again "s", and I get this error message!

Help?

Cheers,

Lord

bakasaru
06-26-2003, 11:06 PM
Did you ever figure this one out? Started happening to me all of sudden as well.

mlinde
06-27-2003, 07:50 AM
I'm unable to replicate this error. Here are the steps I'm following:

1) Start up Modeler
2) Create an object (Ball)
3) Save the object (test_1.lwo)
4) Edit the object
5) Save As.. the object (test_2.lwo)
6) Edit the object
7) Save the object

What version of Lightwave are you using? Is it 7.5c, 7.5b 7.5, 7.0, 6.5, or what?

I am using a modified version of 7.5 (7.5 applications with the plug-ins from 7.5c installed, LScript 2.5)

jdavidbakr
06-27-2003, 08:01 AM
I vaguely remember having this problem when the object was transferred through the hub from layout, that was back in the days of OS 9 and 6.5 (I think). I am guessing my problem had to do with the file being shared by the apps, and it would only happen on rare occasions. I am wondering if the save-as is confusing the hub (are you using the hub? Are you in OS X or 9?)

bakasaru
06-27-2003, 08:17 AM
I'm actually using 7.5c (PC) version, but the exact error message was as described by lord on this thread. The object file in question is currently 26 layers and opens in modeler fine. Subsequent 's' save attempts generate errors, copy/paste gives error that object is read-only, and if I attempt to add a new layer Modeler crashes. It seems maybe the object file is corrupt somehow. I've tried both with and without the hub active.

mlinde
06-27-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by bakasaru
I'm actually using 7.5c (PC) version, but the exact error message was as described by lord on this thread. The object file in question is currently 26 layers and opens in modeler fine. Subsequent 's' save attempts generate errors, copy/paste gives error that object is read-only, and if I attempt to add a new layer Modeler crashes. It seems maybe the object file is corrupt somehow. I've tried both with and without the hub active.

What about copying (layer by layer) into a new object?

bakasaru
06-27-2003, 09:21 AM
When I try copying a layer I get an error that the object is read-only.

mlinde
06-27-2003, 10:18 AM
What about trying to select the polygons from a layer, copy them, and paste them into a new object?

bakasaru
06-27-2003, 10:24 AM
same error message

mlinde
06-27-2003, 10:31 AM
Do you mind posting the object? I'd like to try and help you, but I'm at a loss of ideas right now.

bakasaru
06-27-2003, 09:26 PM
I was able to load the object into Layout and save it out from there. Now it opens fine in Modeler. I noticed the 'Save As' I attempted last night turned a 1.6 Mb file into a 6Kb file, but not sure what else led up to the little glitch.

Thanks for everyone's input and now back to my strat!

lord
06-27-2003, 10:22 PM
Was using 7.5 on mac.

Never figured it out. Tried a numba of things since suggested in this thread, no luck.

Gave up and got a pc ;) .

Really frustrating.

The mac was getting on and coupled with the probs with LW didn't have the time to fart around with trying to fix stuff.

Took some of my scene files through to the PC and got error reading line such and such.

(Throws hands up in air, pretends everthing is fine, no big deal, not really started animating anything important yet soon gonna so not much lost)

Don't have the time to trouble shoot bugs that are plainly not my fault.

The PC I got fair flies in comparison and it was just so bloody cheap.

Feel a little dirty though.:(

But I gotta make a living.

Would love to get my hands on them new mac's but I'll just wait and see how the LW mac development goes and the new generation of Mac's go and my hardware budget's get bigger.
Never know, I might be back.;)

Good luck to the faithful other's.

Cheers,

Lord

mlinde
06-29-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by lord
Took some of my scene files through to the PC and got error reading line such and such.

You need to open the files in a text editor like BBEdit and convert the line ending to to PC line endings. They should work ok then.

lord
06-29-2003, 05:40 PM
You need to open the files in a text editor like BBEdit and convert the line ending to to PC line endings. They should work ok then.

And why the hell do I need to do that?
Is just rediculous. Don't have to do that with any other cross platform app I use.

Problem temporarily solved with the new PC.

Loosing my patience though.

One Grumpy Lord.:mad:

mlinde
06-29-2003, 09:46 PM
You have to take the application over because the scene file is a simple text file, which allows it to be extended and easily edited by hand.

other files don't have this problem because they are binary, not ascii text.