PDA

View Full Version : Your first render

Andyjaggy
09-21-2006, 07:09 PM
I know these threads have been started before but I haven't seen one in a really long time so I thought I would start one up again. I was browsing through and old hard drive and stumbled across some of my first 3d stuff, which I thought was long gone. Anyway here is my first 3d image, complete with mandatory lens flare! I find that lens flare just give an image that final finishing touch, don't you?

Fizzer
09-22-2006, 05:40 AM
Well, here is my first render. I am happy to say it was neither a reflective sphere or a space scene. It was built and rendered in "Imagine" on an Amiga A500 before LW came along. Reading my notes for this, it took 2 days to render!

Verlon
09-22-2006, 07:57 AM
My first 3d render? Dont have it anymore. It was a red cone and a green sphere with some reflection and transparency. It took over 45 minutes to render on an Amiga 500 in Turbo Silver -- and it was'n very good, even by then current standard.

art
09-22-2006, 08:12 AM
yup, cones were fun to render. Don't forget the checkered ground.

iconoclasty
09-22-2006, 08:37 AM
That lens flare is nice, but you know what would have been better? Two lens flares. It doubles the realism.

Rich
09-22-2006, 08:55 AM
I wish I still had my first render. I started 3d back in 1995 during 2 year class of T.V. Production in high school. I can't remember if it was a render from Lightwave on an Amiga Toaster or using a PC and using 3dStudio R4 on DOS. I was using both at the time and created animations for the shows we produced. I will have to dig through VHS tapes in my parents attic next time I visit. :D

gerry_g
09-22-2006, 12:47 PM
I would think most peoples first render sported a black background one default distant light and no antialiasing, with glowing pride I would have to admit mine did, you perhaps should have more accurately labeled this my fist finished render.

Signal to Noise
09-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Rather than a first render thread we should have a LAST render thread. Because a lot of you should give up CG altogether!

Bwahahahahaha!

j/k of course! :)

Warwind
09-22-2006, 01:21 PM
I started working with LW 3 weeks ago...not only are all my embarrassingly bad newbie renders already posted here, but I'm still creating new bad renders!

:newhere:

lilrayray77
09-22-2006, 01:59 PM
If I remeber correctly, my first render was a gingerbread man... a gingerbread man with a knife and grenade. My parents werent to happy...;)

Stooch
09-22-2006, 02:03 PM
my first render was titled space cucumber, it was a space ship, it also had a lense flare, babylon5 FTW!!!!

I also used the highly effective starfield ball (content object) a nice purple underwater texture on a green base...

Aaah, the days when my work was accidental (and still is).

I think its safe to say that show got more people into LW then anything else.

Andyjaggy
09-22-2006, 02:38 PM
I totally should have put more lens flares in that picture it would have really polished it up. I like your killer squirel stooch, or whatever it is :)

Stooch
09-22-2006, 02:48 PM
thats Mr. Fuzzynutts :)

Captain Obvious
09-22-2006, 02:53 PM
I have no idea, really. I've dabbled on and off with 3D since I was maybe ten years old or so. I didn't really start doing it seriously until a couple of years ago, though.

Edit: goddarned forum can't properly understand URLs!

oDDity
09-22-2006, 03:22 PM
No first renders exist. All very first renders are just a sphere to test the f9 button. They aren't worth saving and most people don't know how to anyway.

KillMe
09-22-2006, 03:25 PM
yeah i always been suspicious of people who claim woh look at this its my very first 3d render and show some masterpiece

so i either had to consider them liars or give up on 3d ( which i semi have - still doing it as a side line to earn some cash through uni doing civil engineering - but that s recent development )

toby
09-22-2006, 03:58 PM
How about we change it to "Your first, or most embarrasing render"?
I'm sure I can find something...

parm
09-22-2006, 04:36 PM
No first renders exist. All very first renders are just a sphere to test the f9 button. They aren't worth saving and most people don't know how to anyway.

oDDity, that is so right.

Here's my first, or third something. Earliest I can find, Lightwave render. I'd already used Strata Studio Pro for about a year before. So I knew what I wanted to do.

The second pic is how it ended up some two months after.

Tzan
09-22-2006, 04:46 PM
This is the first thing I got paid for. About 4 months after getting LW 4 in 1995. As you can see the 4 months were not spent in full time practice :) The image I found was too small so I doubled its size, so the pixels are worse than they should be.

The beige building is a proposed addition to the red brick building. Its a self storage company. They never built it.

My very first render was on an AppleII in 1983 I hand coded 3d coords and made a stylized bulls head with cone horns and a short animation.

T-Light
09-22-2006, 04:51 PM
First render was a glass (I think), it was in a 3D program on the zx speccy. The output was made of very rough black and white crosshatches, no 24 or 16 or even 8 bit colour back then :D

parm
09-22-2006, 04:59 PM
1995, Zx Spectrum. In those days I thought computers were pure rubbish.

Medi8or
09-22-2006, 06:00 PM
My first render was with Povray that I got from the cover floppy on a PC Format magazine (The cover was a Jack in a box, or something, if anyone remembers..)
If I remember correctly the first render was all black, or half a sphere. I had some problem aiming the camera in the right direction.. :D

Verlon
09-22-2006, 06:09 PM
black background on mine....checkerboard came on the third render (the second render forgot to include a light....so it was just a black screen).

T-Light
09-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Parm -

1995, Zx Spectrum. In those days I thought computers were pure rubbish.
Ah, that'll be because the old speccy was a tad dated by 1995 Parm. :D (Did you mean 85? :))
Seriously though, when the spectrum came out it was groundbreaking, whopping 3.5 MHZ Z80a processor, 16k of ram - Over 50% taken by the graphics)which gave you approx 7k to program with. When I see the black ZX box or the ZX logo I still have to take a sharp intake of breath.

That little machine changed my life, 24 years later and I still don't know if it was for the better. :stumped:

umstitch
09-22-2006, 07:09 PM
, 16k of ram - Over 50% taken by the graphics)which gave you approx 7k to program with.

...should ve gone for the 48k, ran jetpac better:)

..first render on lw7.5 in 2001 i think

T-Light
09-22-2006, 07:50 PM
umstitch -

...should ve gone for the 48k, ran jetpac better
Was a pressy off my Dad for my 14th, got the 32k upgrade when I was 16 along with a lot of the games I couldn't play till then. Those were the days weren't they :)

Spent all my time either writing machine code, coverting binary to hex to decimal or playing those UNBELIEVABLE games. By the fifth year at school a bunch of about ten of us were allowed out of PE to do 'technical stuff' with our spectrums in the TV room. The guys used to come in with plastic bags full of coppied cassettes. How we got away with playing games for two hours in the schools only TV room in PE time is beyond me :D

Ah yes... the days before the term 'IT' was even a glint in the eye of the anal retentive who coined it.

umstitch
09-22-2006, 07:56 PM
..ahhh the good old days, no plugs to install, no software to update, and you got to have fights with commodore64 users...great:thumbsup:

katsh
09-22-2006, 07:56 PM
my first render was of course some primitive models with 1 directional light no anti-alias no textured no complex materials.
and, didnt even record to a file.

this is my first finished scene. 7 or 8 years ago. i made this on LW5.0 version LoL as u can see in 3rd image.

T-Light
09-22-2006, 08:16 PM
umstitch -

and you got to have fights with commodore64 users...great
:D
And of course the punchups with the 'BBC Micro' crowd with their metal keyboards and their advanced flight sims - posh gits :D

umstitch
09-22-2006, 08:35 PM
bbc micro "b", was supposed to be much better, but it was nt.

..i remember learning xy (no "z" in those days), so we could plot the best route for some sailing boats to avoid some rocks, thats all i remember..cause then i fell in love with Tracy Cooper and spent a lot of time afk..!

T-Light
09-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Ah true love. Went out with a couple of girls in my early teens, great days, snogging in cornfields etc, then came the darkness of the z80a, all was quiet on the western front till my late teens, then, I, er, made up for it. :devil:

Jees I've got to hit the sack, night chaps. :)

Smcrorey
09-22-2006, 10:30 PM
My first "complete-ish" render ... from a few months ago. .

it's a case for a car computer..

the latter is my latest render.. I'm still not amazing, but learning.

er.. it's a piano :P

I've got the dream.. now if I only had a pocket-sized Dan Ablan for constant reference :deal: :newhere:

oDDity
09-23-2006, 02:16 AM
If none of you have the balls or humility to show your first render, like the title of the thread implicitly states, then don't bother showing anything.
The title of the thread is not 'the first render you got paid for', or 'your first render that didn't suck' or 'the first render you made with one hand tied behind your back' - no, it's quite unambiguously 'your first render'.
So here is a very close approximation of my first render.

toby
09-23-2006, 02:30 AM
If it weren't for that ridiculous image I'd think you were serious ;D

oDDity
09-23-2006, 03:50 AM
I often wish I'd started using computers and doing CG eariler, but if apps and computers were that crappy back in those days, I'm glad I didn't bother.

jameswillmott
09-23-2006, 04:50 AM
My first render ever was on a computer made by NEC, I have no recollection which one. I had to program the renderer from scratch, it looked something like the shot below.

It might have been in colour except we only had green screens back then... :D

gerry_g
09-23-2006, 06:14 AM
In the spirit of things here is an approximation of my first render in Layout, default black scene, default light, default aspect, no smoothing no shadows and no assigned surface colors. I had no idea how to model in Modeler (though I'd been modeling for about two years in other aps) I couldn't even figure out how clean up the things I was importing.
But this is only strictly my first LW render, my first true render was with a free copy of Bryce2 some seven or eight years ago, I kept it because it was so bizarre, I was just moving the camera around in an empty scene and managed to completely loose my orientation, but what I saw in the prevue window looked so interesting I rendered it anyway, This is a blow up of the thumbnail cos the SCSi connected DVD RAM Drive that archives the original only plays ball with my old poota which is currently headless and I can't be bothered to sort it out right now.

T-Light
09-23-2006, 06:58 AM
Here's what I'm talking about, the software I mentioned above was called VU-3D by Psion. My first render would have been similar to the glass on the front of the box. Essentially you drew a shape in simple steps around a central spindle.The software then span your shape to create your object, and er, that was about it. It was pretty difficult to get it wrong but I'm sure I managed it.

Here's a pic of the software from a guy on ebay.

umstitch
09-23-2006, 07:13 AM
..i think oddity has "first render" mixed up with the first time you tested pressing the f9 button, to see what happens.:2guns:

toby
09-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Alright! Had to wedge open a corrupted zip file once I found it; here's my first/embarrasing render... yeesh! I think this was '98, using Ray Dream Studio. How's that for brushed metal?

loki74
09-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Okay, the first time I EVER hit the for-real "Render" button was in Animation:Master.

For those of you who aren't familiar with it, A:M renders by default in-window. (there is a different function for rendering to file). As such, I can't really show it.

It was a poorly modeled sword with innumerable intersecting and internal polys. Few minutes later I started fooling around with the reflectivity, transparancey, glow, and toon shading options. I remember being totally stumped by internal polys effing up my render when I had transparency. And of course why reflections look bad, even though there was nothing to reflect! Hah. what a noob.

As far as my first model? That would have been, again, in A:M. A torus primitive. Made a circle, hit lathe. Didn't even know it was called a torus. I was just like "hey, I made a donut!" The next thing was a crumpled piece of paper made by randomly deforming said torus. These would have been the first render, but since I didn't know about the render button at the time...

toby
09-23-2006, 03:18 PM
How about we change it to "Your first, or most embarrasing render"?
I'm sure I can find something...
Or how about "Your first render, that you considered complete"? I don't think he meant the first time you hit render...

Andyjaggy
09-23-2006, 03:43 PM
So here is a very close approximation of my first render.

Nice one Oddity. That is an awesome sphere. It needs some super bright reflections and lens flare to turn it from a good render to a great one. In all seriousness though that is probably what most of our first renders were. However a whole thread full of reflective spheres would get a might boring, and I didn't feel like naming the thread "One of your earliest renders that had some effort and thought put into it that you atually saved becuase you thought it was pretty cool at the time"

GregMalick
09-23-2006, 05:53 PM
This is the first render that I saved - and it was pretty close to my first render ever.
Obviously da truth.
January 22, 2004.

As you can see, I knew nothing about anti-aliasing.
Someone clued me in on that for a later render.
This was for a Kurv contest - which I appropriately lost. :D

EDIT:
Oh --- it took me about 4 hours to make this from scratch.
I kept reading the LW7 manual and trying things. When I kinda got something remotely like what I was going for, I save it and here it is. Four hours! I can't beleive it.

Phil
09-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Hmmm. I don't have the disks, but the first software I ever used for 3D was Imagine 2.0 on the Amiga A500. Gods, it was slow and very crash happy. The most I can remember was waiting 3 or 4 days to render a simple animation of a cow grazing in a field using Imagine 3.0 (which supported object states, much like LW's Endomorphs which appeared some 5 years later in LW 6)

Beyond that, not much has changed. Still struggling to squash scenes into the available RAM and to get them to render sufficiently quickly.