PDA

View Full Version : Texture shift when doing array

RadDog2
09-21-2006, 02:20 PM
I am trying to do an array of vehicles with planar image maps. each side has its own image map. When I move the polygons in modeler the textures are offset. When I do an array the image maps are all offset by various degrees.

How can I keep the images from moving about?:confused:

Is there a way of doing an array in layout? Where is it in the production
layout interface?

T-Light
09-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Bring each model in at say 'frame 0' set your texture maps then move your objects (in the timeline - not at frame 0)
'Clone' in layout should work on multiple objects but haven't tried it with multiple texture maps. :)

toby
09-21-2006, 07:15 PM
The reason your texture does not stick to geometry in Modeler is because you're not using a UV map to apply the image maps. When you apply an image using anything other than UV, the reference for the position of the map is Modeler's center; 0,0,0. Modeler is not meant for placing objects once they've been built, so like T-Light mentioned, take them into Layout to place them if you can. If you can't, try pressing 'Automatic Size' after moving them in Modeler, or use UV maps.

toby
09-21-2006, 07:18 PM
And here's a plugin to do arrays in Layout:

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.CFM?ID=1413

RadDog2
09-22-2006, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the info. I thought maybe it had something to do with the UV mapping.

Are there plugins to do this?

The textures are really basic planes. I haven't had too much luck with UVs
but will give it a try.

Thanks VERY MUCH for the suggestions. This forum is great.

toby
09-23-2006, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the info. I thought maybe it had something to do with the UV mapping.

Are there plugins to do this?

The textures are really basic planes. I haven't had too much luck with UVs
but will give it a try.

Thanks VERY MUCH for the suggestions. This forum is great.
YES it is. I owe my pathetic life to this forum! ( Is that sad or what? ;D ) I just hope I can give back as much as I've recieved.

UV's are an entire new task to be learned, like modeling or character rigging. I understand them, but making a perfect uv map is about as far from me as animating Mr. Incredible. Any plugins will require you to know how to do UV's in the first place. For basic planes, I would just try automatic size or placing things in Layout. But if you want to learn UVs, forget about everything else while you study UV lessons, tutorials, and then practice on a box.