PDA

View Full Version : Good old dumb question...

Ty Catt
09-21-2006, 08:00 AM
Hey y'all,

Which tool is best for "dimpling" something like the surface of a button inward?

Pole 1 or 2?

I have a disc modeled, just need to curve the surface inward.

Does the disc have to be modeled a certain way?

I keep getting rendering glitches.

Thanks, guys.:help:

Tyler

Cougar12dk
09-21-2006, 10:27 AM
You could probably do that with the Magnet Tool. Just select the tool and click and drag the mesh. You might have to adjust the points afterwards.

I'd suggest switching to Subpatch mode and doing the dimpling there and then freezing the mesh (if you want the higher polycount).

Ty Catt
09-21-2006, 11:24 AM
I tried sub-patching but I don't have 3-4 vertices- it won't allow me to convert with the disc face being 1 flat polygon.

Magnet seems to work, but it's a bit wobbly and uneven.

Thanks for your help.

Ty

Exception
09-21-2006, 11:56 AM
You in LW 9 right, the use Catmull clarke Subdivs isntead of the standard one, then you can have more than 3 or 4 point polys. I'd just bevel it in or out.

Ty Catt
09-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Actually I'm using 7.5.

I posted to the wrong LW forum.

I'm screwed, aren't I?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ty

Exception
09-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Then use 'Make pole' on the disc to get nice 3 point polys.

Ty Catt
09-22-2006, 07:17 AM
Thanks again for hanging in there with me...

When you say "make pole", do you mean use the "pole tool #1 or #2" under the modify tab, or is there an actual "make pole" command <-- and if so, where is it located?...

Thanks, again.

Tyler

GraphXs
09-22-2006, 08:48 AM
You have to search for it on Flay, 7.5 didn't have the "make pole" tool.

"Make Pole" just adds a ring really close to the point on a cone (can be used to fix areas when you have a bunch of tri polys going to a point) so when ya sub-d the object it doesn't give ya the weid fanning to the point.

You could also just knife twords the tip of the cone to get the same result that "make pole" does.

GraphXs
09-22-2006, 09:18 AM
Create concave shape with a Sphere: :thumbsup:

Create low poly sphere 12 by 6

1)delete half or more

2) flip and strech

3) knike near tip (Fix pole)

4)subD

I was wrong in my last post "make pole" creates tris to a point in the middle of a circle, "fix pole" adds a ring twords the tip of a point.

Ty Catt
09-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Got it.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the help guys.

Taker easy!

Tyler