PDA

View Full Version : dongle

Jeff Denlea
02-18-2003, 02:28 PM
If I have 2 computors (Macs) with 2 programs with different serial numbers will they work with either dongle or do you need to use the dongle that came with the program

Miles
02-19-2003, 06:27 AM
You should be able to use either dongle on either system, BUT you will need the correct (corisponding) registration code "license.key" file in the Programs folder that matches up with the dongle you're using.

In other words, you could have two "license.key" files on each system (each with the reg code that matches one of the two dongles) and then put only the one file that works with the dongle in use on that machine into the Programs folder. Leave/put the other file in a different folder (directory level) incase the dongles ever get accidently swapped between machines so you can then make a quick switch of those license.key files.

Hope that helps... ;)

Beamtracer
02-19-2003, 04:32 PM
I may be wrong but I believe that some plug-ins (ie Worley) register themselves to one particular dongle. It could be possible that some plug-ins like this won't work with a different dongle.

mlinde
02-20-2003, 09:44 AM
If you have two different program licenses, and two different dongles, the only way to make them interchangeable is, as Miles explained, to have the licence.key file for each dongle on both machines. And yes, as Beam suggested, many plug-ins are registered to a specific hardware key, so you would need (a) two registered versions of the plug-ins, or (b) only use the plug-ins with the registered hardware key. The plug-ins have their own license files, which would also have to be duplicated if you have multiple versions of them.

All of this seems like a pain in the arse. If you have two machines, and two licenses, just leave the dongles alone, and life is much simpler. Why make things more complicated than you need to?

Miles
02-22-2003, 08:40 AM
FWIW, I just noticed on page 47 of the LW7.0 PDF manual a ref to the license.key file being able have multiple registration codes; each needing to be on separate lines. That should mean you could have both of your dongle reg codes on both systems in the same lic.key file and then either dongle should work on either system even if swapped for some reason. So scratch my previous suggestion.

Hope that helps... ;)

filmguy1105
04-29-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Miles
FWIW, I just noticed on page 47 of the LW7.0 PDF manual a ref to the license.key file being able have multiple registration codes; each needing to be on separate lines.

Well, I just tried this and it didn't work. I've got a call in to tech support. I have a program for high school students and we have 20 computers and 5 keys. It would be really helpful to be able to use LW on any 5 of our computers at a time.

theosmekhanes
04-29-2003, 07:26 PM
Death to the Dongle!
It only frustrates and hinders paying users while pirates can get the crack easier than I can install and register the dongle... go figure.

The cost of enforcement exceeds the imagined losses

filmguy1105
04-29-2003, 07:42 PM
Okay, here is what happened. NewTek got back with me and said the multiple # in one file works fine in OS 9 and on Windows but doesn't work in OS X. They don't know why - it just doesn't.

Our lab uses Apple Server and Netboot so that all of our workstations boot from the same disk image located on the server. This works great because I only have to make changes to one computer to change all of the computers. Someone had suggested swapping out different key files depending on what dongle you were using. This won't work for us because the "Hard Drive" is a read-only disk image. What finally worked was to save our setup with an alias that points to the real Hard Drive (read & write) that's in each machine. Then on that real hard drive I've got the key file with all the numbers in it. Just move the number you're using to the top and save the file and your key will work.

That works, but boy it's a pain.

The tech support guy I talked to said they were working on a network dongle for OS X but he didn't know when it would be released.

archiea
04-29-2003, 07:50 PM
Alot of things don't work in OS-X and they don't know why. In particular 7.5b.

How hard is it to get a mac guru on staff?

richwave
06-23-2005, 10:02 AM
if needed it's here (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=280924#post280924) ...

eblu
06-23-2005, 01:16 PM
if needed it's here (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=280924#post280924) ...

right. simpletext is a dinosaur.
use Xcode, or BBedit.
even textedit is Much More capable of sustaining the correct carriage returns these days. if those don't float yer boat, theres a fistful of free text editors out there that allow the user to select the type of carriage returns. OS x is quite flexible, theres no need to revert to "Classic" or even to bow down to under educated Newtek support staffers.

but that may not be the issue. remember that we are trying to merge two license keys into an already working file. Somehow the two originals already HAVE the correct kind of carriage returns. Unless of course, Lightwave only reads to the very first carriage return that it doesn't recognize, which actually makes a lot of sense based on my experience with the "robust nature" of Lightwave's subsystems.

anyway, open up your merged file in BBedit or Xcode, look for "line endings" (in Xcode 1, its under "Format" in BBedit its in the toolbar at the top of the window) and set it to "PC" or "MS DOS". save the file, and give it a whirl.

Scazzino
06-23-2005, 02:23 PM
Every Mac user should download a copy of TextWrangler (http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/download.shtml) if you don't already have it. It's a FREE text editor from the folks that made BBEdit and it can do most of what BBEdit can do, including work with any type of line endings...

-MikeS