PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned Rabbit Cage

AsteriskMan
06-09-2003, 02:53 PM
Hello, all...

modeled after a real cage my father had made for our rabbit that sat in our back yard . One day, while i was looking for something to model that would lend itself well to learning LightWave, i was struck by the mood of the abandoned cage and thought it'd make for a nice render. So there it is.
Even thow i am calling this render done, i'd appreciate any comments or criticism. thanx.
PS. the full size image can be found here
http://no-where.net/artsy/images/cage_final.jpg
I wasn't sure if that size would be appropriate here

Stewpot
06-09-2003, 04:00 PM
Hi AsteriskMan,

If this is an abandoned rabbit cage, then the textures need a lot of work.

The wood should look well worn and fissured and cracked in places, and all the metal parts should show some signs of rust and wear.

As is, it looks new.

riki
06-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Good to see something other than a robot or a spaceship. The cage looks a bit clean, I'd say you need to dirty the whole thing up. Also the light in the background seems very harsh, I'd maybe reign that in a bit.

Looking good though

MorituriMax
06-09-2003, 11:17 PM
Hey! I LIKE spaceships!

;)

starbase1
06-10-2003, 06:57 AM
I rather like the wood, not bad at all. And the waves in the mesh wire look good too.

Maybe dirty up the floor of the cage a bit, (I remember what rabbits do on the floor!), and perhaps reduce the strength of the colour on those leaves with the light shining through them in the background...

Nick

Zarathustra
06-10-2003, 09:02 AM
You have the right idea with the dents in the screen, but it only works on the door. The left side is too uniform.
I agree that the wood needs more weathering, and some bowing. The areas around where the metal attaches stains and cracks a bit in real life.
I agree with the comment about the green glow.
The dead leaves (under, left) look like they're floating.
There would be signs of rabbit mess under the cage. If it's been abandoned for a long time, then stuff would be growing down there.

(I had a neighbor who had a very similiar looking setup in the backyard).

AsteriskMan
06-10-2003, 11:57 AM
Thanx for the comments everyone.
I had always intended to warp some of the boards, particularly the lid.... but i guess i worked on it too long and ran out of steam. I also would have all but filled the ground with dead leaves. I should have added a grime layer over all the wood, but i didn't think about it.
if you care to see the original cage here is one of the reference photos i used
http://no-where.net/artsy/images/DSCF0034.JPG
I think the bright background looks good...
the only thing i am truly not happy with is the ground.

starbase1
06-10-2003, 04:26 PM
Looking at the photos I see what you mean - the leaves really do look extreme lime green.

Mabe it's the photo I dislike!

:D

Very nice work on hinges and detail though.

Nick

travis
06-13-2003, 05:17 PM
Nice work. But I agree the background is overexposed and maybe beat the crap out of it and it is a classic.

Lamont
06-18-2003, 06:02 PM
Needs more rabbit poo'. And sawdust.. yeah... gotta have sawdust.