PDA

View Full Version : poor man's Surpasses?

archiea
09-19-2006, 10:39 PM
http://www.db-w.com/content/view/81/104/

Lightwolf
09-20-2006, 01:31 AM
As much as I'd like it to be ... it isn't. (Surpasses is/was extremely cool!)

exrTrader doesn't include any management for passes, but it does allow you to easily save all image information/buffers generated by LW in one pass to one or more image files.

Cheers,
Mike

Limbus
09-20-2006, 03:48 AM
Surpasses for LW 9 would be so cool. Its a shame that the author stopped developing it. Maybe NewTek can buy the sourcecode from him and integrate it in 9.1.

Florian

Phil
09-20-2006, 04:30 AM
Except they really shouldn't need to. The system should have this designed in, rather than being tacked on. I would hope most of what they need is already there, it just needs the interface to be hooked up properly.

In an ideal case, it should be possible to get LW to export texture-driven surface channel information from one object in a crowded scene, with or without clones being included, and without having to mess around with matte objects and/or baking surfaces.

That fine-grained access would make life so much easier.

UnCommonGrafx
09-20-2006, 06:20 AM
Surpasses WORKS in LW9! It REALLY REALLY does.

Using it now, as a matter of fact. Seems the problem is in the way you start up lw. If you have redirects in the startup, Surpasses will have errors; if not, it will work as advertised. I haven't done tests as to how to get it to work with redirects as I just 're-piped' my system for this not to be an issue. Also, the new directory options within LW helped, as well.

But what Phil said is even more desired: built-in and better, more modern efficiency.

MooseDog
09-20-2006, 08:05 AM
:question: , sorry to appear stupid, but by

If you have redirects in the startup

do you mean that -c thing in my shortcut that tells lw where to look for its config files? (instead of the default locations)

if that's the case, i'm hosed :stop: as i don't really want to go with the default locations.

tho i'm heartened to know it's working, somehow. it really is very useful and i've enjoyed using it.

UnCommonGrafx
09-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Yes, unfortunately that's what I mean. I ended up moving my temp directory to an easier to locate spot for this purpose.
Are you getting an error with your setup? Seems this might be worth a bit of investigation but I haven't chosen to invest the time just yet. But if anyone figures it out, I'm willing to try it. ;)

bryphi7
09-20-2006, 10:03 AM
This is one of the areas that I think that LW is lacking the most...Surpasses was ok, but still a workaround. I hope that this is going to be addressed very soon!

Limbus
09-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Surpasses WORKS in LW9! It REALLY REALLY does.

Thats great but that wont help me since I cant purchase it anymore.

Florian