PDA

View Full Version : Any plugins out there for building roofs?

bgolden
09-19-2006, 09:11 AM
LWCAD is awesome, but was wondering if there are any plugins for easily creating doors, windows and roofs?

Maxx
09-19-2006, 10:38 AM
This (http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1869) plug does windows - haven't tested it in 9 yet, though...

Lottmedia
09-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Why not use LWCAD? It does all that easier than anythign I've used. Vector Clone is wonderful for doing slate roofs and siding. Doors and windows are simple, there's no one-click solution (but you can save your designs once and place them all over after that) What are you trying to do?

Casey :cat:

bgolden
09-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Vector Clone rocks for sure. But, I feel like I'm going the long way about building roofs. I'm creating a clay/slate tile roof with Vector Clone, but then it's work to set the angles and I'm using booleans to cut to fit. Seems like there would be a better and/or faster way.

Signal to Noise
09-19-2006, 12:47 PM
...Seems like there would be a better and/or faster way.

There is... use AutoCAD or MicroStation (or similar) and import into LW. Your wallet will get lighter quickly, tho'. ;)

Lottmedia
09-19-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't mean to be dense, but I still don't see what the roof problem is. Do you have any pics to illustrate what you're having problems doing?

bgolden
09-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Two images attached . . .

I'm working through this in three steps:

1. Create a shingle, then replicate to make a large mass of tiles
2. Turn and adjust so the tiles match the roof pitch
3. Boolean/Cut away the overhanging geometry.

It takes quite a while to go through this on a complicated roof design and I'm just trying to speed the workflow. Purchasing AutoCad is out of budget range so I'm looking at other, more affordable products. So far, I've downloaded demo versions of various CAD products and I haven't been able to export/import into Modeler without having to go through a lot of clean up.

What would be nice is to be able to create a roof like in AutoCad (for example) where the design remains editable in case client comes back with changes. Not sure if I'm explaining this part well enough for someone to understand?

UnCommonGrafx
09-19-2006, 04:08 PM
LWCad looks like it would be the answer, particularly the Trim tool for trimming.
But truly, it's about your workflow.

With LWCad I would:
Make a singular nurb shingle, unextruded.
Lay it out in the shape of the roof; trim as needed.
Extrude the nurbs.

Should fit like a ... roof.

Lottmedia
09-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Uncommon's got it, I just laid out a silimar roof in about a minute or two (it was basic, but...) I would suggest pitching the shingles before replicaing them (made mine go a lot faster) then use the realtime boleans of LWCAD and there you go. There was a little clean up from the boleans but that was only a click or two.

You could also think about a displacement surface for the shingles (it would give you a lot of changeability later on..) :)

RedBull
09-19-2006, 11:03 PM
I've been looking for ways to do windows and doors quickly...
This is the best i've come up with so far... (nothing special)
If anyone has any better ideas let me know...

Created a single box, array cloned them to fit the shape of the walls.
and either do a boolean subtract or solid drill stencil.

In my case i went for the stencil, and then used a premade Multishift profile
to bevel all new windows polys on one of the one side of the windows only.
The problem is Modeler gave me an Internal buffer is too small error,
so i was forced to go to Modo to stencil in this case.
(Modeler worked with one row, but it's Boolean tools suck)
But really it only took a couple of minutes for the operation..

Exception
09-20-2006, 08:27 PM
What's with that internal buffers too small thing?
I have it all the time, drives me nuts, and I've posted like 3 threads on it: no answer, no solution.