PDA

View Full Version : any one else having this problem?

p_micah
09-19-2006, 09:01 AM
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow
started up LW yesterday a.m., and it took too long to open.
then wouldn't close. then, (after a system restart) all of my old files where read only.
then it wouldn't open at all.
then uninstall, reinstall . . . same problems.
tech support had me deleat all lw*.cfg's . . . same problems.
called tech again, told me to reinstal from CD (had been using the download)
reinstall this a.m.
. . . same problems...
i'm not bad mouthing tech support at all! in fact, they have always been great! but i just wondered if anyone else has experienced this issue and if someone had a fix for it.

before yesterday, i had no problems. and i have no other issues with other programs.

any ideas?

thanks!!!

micah

JamesCurtis
09-19-2006, 10:04 AM
Thoughts:

Dongle problem [going bad] USB or Parallel
Firewall or Security Settings
Corrupted program
Vid Card driver compatability issue
Plugin file problem [loaded on LW start]
Virus on system

Any of these things can cause program load stall or failure.

Just for the record, my LW has worked very well. Nver had any real problems.

lwaddict
09-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Doesn't sound like a Lightwave issue...

but I've seen this before.

Try cleaning up the system of cookies, temp files, temp internet files, virii, check fragmentation, drive status (ie 50% free or more on the system drive is best overall), etc.

Also...
just my thoughts and how I do it...
run it on a system that's not connected to the interenet directly.

p_micah
09-19-2006, 11:07 AM
i'll look into this.

p_micah
09-19-2006, 12:26 PM
talked to tech again, had to do the " -0" thingy, it seems to work, but no longer attached to hub, = no auto updates from modeler to layout. but a fix is on the from Newtek!

this apparently is a problem with my system somewhere. bummer.

Lottmedia
09-19-2006, 12:43 PM
It is a LW problem. For me at least the -0 is the only way to stop it. There's a ton of info here
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54112
it's a dongle thing, as far as anyone can tell.

Casey :cat:

Red_Oddity
09-19-2006, 04:26 PM
I noticed that sometimes just disabling and enabling my network connections does the trick.

Lottmedia
09-19-2006, 05:27 PM
And thinking happy thoughts:)

Red_Oddity
09-20-2006, 03:20 AM
3D software should come with complementary cannabis...

'whoaaaa, dude, this software starts up, like, so fast man...'

kevinmeans
10-23-2006, 10:46 AM
P-Micah...

No, you're not alone, and this problem is why I joined this forum. I just installed LW 9 and have encountered the same basic problem with my USB dongle. Tech support was quick to respond, and gave me the same -0 recommendation, but it did not solve the problem. I stumbled across the fact that the dongle might be the problem when I noticed that my USB hub's lights were not lit (they always are). When I removed the dongle from the hub, the lights came on. When I put the dongle in a USB port on the front of the computer the USB hub's lights went out again. I have been able to re-boot and mess around with installing and reinstalling the dongle to get LW working, but this is no real solution. This morining (10/23) Tech Support left me a short email that said, "There have been issues where the dongle will not be detected in a usb hub if it is not a powered unit." Unfortunately, they did NOT give me a solution to the problem. My USB hub is a powered unit, so I suspect that Newtek is becoming aware of this issue. I've got my fingers crossed that they'll come up with a solution soon.

Kev

gjjackson
10-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Might want to check the Sentinel system.

kevinmeans
10-23-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm pretty new to this stuff, but open to suggestions that might solve this problem. What is the Sentinal System?

Kev

kevinmeans
10-23-2006, 12:34 PM
Well,

I just got off the phone with "Dan" from Newtek Tech support. I explained this problem to him and he said that this was the first time he had heard of it. (Interestingly enough, the tech support person who responded by email was aware of it).

I directed Dan to this forum so he could see that others are experiencing the same (or very similar) problems. His response was "hmmmm..." He recommended that I uninstall all of my peripheral USB items (of which I have several), and reinstall all of them on another computer to see if the problem persists on computer 2. If it does, he suggested that I have the dongle replaced. When I pointed out that this problem is being experienced by a host of other folks, he said, if there is a problem with the dongles, it will have to be addressed by "Safenet" not Newtek, because Safenet is the company Newtek contracts with to make the dongles. He also said the Sentinal Drivers should have nothing to do with this problem.

I'll be honest with you - I'm dissapointed. I'm not a complainer, but I do expect the software I buy to work, or to at least be supported well by the manufacturer, especially when it costs as much as this sofware does. After my conversation with Dan, (who was polite throughout the entire conversation), I hung up feeling that Newtek is basically not going to do anything about this problem. Getting another computer, and removing and reinstalling all of your USB components on it is an unrealistic solution. It seems to me that the dongle should work on any well-maintained Pentium 4 system, of which mine is.

I also think that as LW 9 gets out there in the industry more, this problem will become a bigger headache for Newtek. That's probably what it's going to take to get them to come up with a realistic solution.

Kevin

BeeVee
10-24-2006, 02:28 AM
Just to add to Dan's "hmmmm...", here's mine. :D I just put a red dongle in my unpowered USB hub and everything's hunky dory. The light on the dongle comes up, the lights on the hub stay lit. I would suggest that it's perhaps a problem with the dongle, but obviously Dan talked to you directly about it.

B

Lottmedia
10-24-2006, 02:37 AM
I also think that as LW 9 gets out there in the industry more, this problem will become a bigger headache for Newtek. That's probably what it's going to take to get them to come up with a realistic solution.

Lightwave is by far not a new thing to the industry (quite the contrary, I believe) nor, unfortunately, is NT's rather amazing ability to resist similar "headaches" in the past. They don't appear to be showing any indication of change in that area. They will be myopic to a problem till they have a solution, and until then it will be selectively ignored. We've got several parallel threads on the subject and I don't think anyone from NT has posted in any of them. I've become so aggrivated I've all but given up on it. I adore lightwave, but as a customer I feel a little unloved

Dragon Lee
10-24-2006, 04:12 PM
I find it a bit odd that Newtek support speaks of a dongle problem while it is clear from postings in the beta/bug forum that most of the described problems suddenly manifested themselves within the last few RCs of the 9 beta...

No one using 8.x seems to have these "exact" problems.

So trying to push it to a Safenet/Sentinel/Broken dongle ballpark seems to be a bit odd...

For now I am just assuming/hoping it will get fixed in the next 9.x update

tibes
10-24-2006, 05:43 PM
I doubt it's a dongle problem. I've had the same issue and narrowed it down to my zonealarm firewall. I'm now shutting down ZoneAlarm as soon as I boot XP (irritating and pointless) as it's the only way I can guarantee Lightwave will start properly. If I forget and it refuses to start, shutting down zonealarm and trying again doesn't seem to work - it seems to "remember" that it was busted.

Before you pull your system to shreds, try disabling _all_ firewalls after a clean boot. If that doesn't work delete your config files as well and start from fresh.

Hopefully NT can fix this in the next point release...

jaf
10-24-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm a bit confused here. Even if it was a dongle problem, isn't it Newtek's responsibility? I mean, Newtek is the one that contracted Safenet/Sentinel to provide the application "pirate protection" feature.

I mean, if my car fails because of a bad IC in the ignition system, I don't go to Texas Instruments for warranty satisfaction; I go to the maker of my car.

For Newtek support to put the blame on a subcontractor who they chose seems a bit out-of-line.