PDA

View Full Version : designing spaceships

KillMe
09-19-2006, 04:17 AM
you know, i like 95% of us like making spaceships - nothing else, characters landscapes, yada yada, its spaceships that always bring a smile to my face

however dispite sketching away then firing up modeler and getting down to the nitty grittys of making my spaceships i ALWAYS end up with craft that its all but impossible to fit landing gear on :cursin:

so i ask you guys - when you make a spaceship - what do you do? - do you start with the landing gear and then make the ship around it? - or am i the only person who suffers from "opps how does this thing land?" just when i've fallen in love with the design i've come up with?

Bytehawk
09-19-2006, 05:36 AM
my spaceships never land, they would fly like bricks in atmosphere.

starbase1
09-19-2006, 06:44 AM
Can't you just cheat and have retractable landing gear? Show us a sample ship!

jameswillmott
09-19-2006, 07:07 AM
When you sketch a ship, do you sketch landing gear on it?

Get some reference pictures of military fighter planes and see how they integrate the landing gear.

Bog
09-19-2006, 08:07 AM
If it's something that's going to be landing, then yeah - I tend to thing about the gear and it's wells pretty early on. Actually, I guess in a broader scope, anything that's going to Be Doing Something gets looked at early on, with the passive spaces (whether it's a vehicle or whatever) just flowing naturally between 'em.

There are times, though, when I wish I could re-visit my pre-Thorntonian era and just doodle spaceships that didn't worry about having space for all the internal gubbins that makes spaceships work ;)