PDA

View Full Version : rendering question

Kinetik
09-18-2006, 02:36 PM
im sort of new to lightwave...well...a few days really and i love it already :)

unfortunatly my pc isnt exactly top notch and i dont have a zillion computers here to build a render farm.

then someone mentioned using a capture card and that its able to render video in realtime. i know it does for normal video...but what about 3d rendering?

the feature list for the matrox rtx2 says:

WYSIWYG for Adobe After Effects and Photoshop, Autodesk Combustion and 3ds Max, eyeon Fusion, and NewTek LightWave 3D with dynamic Alt+Tab switching

im not entirely sure what that means. does that mean that you can indeed render stuff in realtime with such a card and that theres no need for render farms anymore?

if that sounds completely stupid then sorry but thats what ive been told (as well as the opposite) and since im rather new to 3d animating i have no clue.

any help would be appreciated.

loki74
09-18-2006, 10:33 PM
uhh....

I think you're confusing capturing with rendering. Capturing (what the capture card does) takes a video signal off of the tape and puts it on your hard drive. This has absolutely nothing to do with 3D rendering, until you get to the compositing stage of your project.

Rendering, on the other hand, is calculating the light reaching each pixel the camera "sees." There will never--never--be true realtime rendering (aside from hardware accelerated game rendering, or the wireframes etc in 3D apps' UIs).

I may have misunderstood your question, but if it just comes down to "is there anything other than massive processing power that can allow me to render in near-real time?" ...the answer is no.

Now you can tweak settings or use shortcuts to speed up render times. There are a myriad of options LW provides to tailor-fit the rendering process to your project. Perspective/Classic camera, ray recursions, threads, etc. The specific advantages, disadvantages, and funtions of LW's renderer's features should be pretty easy to look up.

Kinetik
09-18-2006, 11:57 PM
that was pretty much the question yes, thanks :)

stib
09-25-2006, 07:58 AM
I don't know about that, my fusion powered quantum computer is going to be able to calculate infinite raytracing bounces before I've even asked it to. Pressing F10 won't actually start a render it just disentangles the superimposed quantum states of all possible renders..

Ooh, more coffee? Thanks ducks. Now, where was I?

Bog
09-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Now, where was I?

Five kilometers past Insanity's Schwartzschild Radius and still accelerating :D

Sekhar
09-25-2006, 08:57 AM
the feature list for the matrox rtx2 says:

WYSIWYG for Adobe After Effects and Photoshop, Autodesk Combustion and 3ds Max, eyeon Fusion, and NewTek LightWave 3D with dynamic Alt+Tab switching

im not entirely sure what that means. does that mean that you can indeed render stuff in realtime with such a card and that theres no need for render farms anymore?
This means you'll be able to view the render (already done in LW) on an external monitor hooked to the RT.X2 card. I have RT.X100 (the predecessor) and I had the same rush of excitement until I realized they're just talking about viewing on monitor.

The feature is pretty useful in its own way however...