PDA

View Full Version : Importing .obj files...

Blubone
06-09-2003, 12:05 PM
Hi all.

Just a quick one (hopefully).... How can I import .obj files into Modeller? I read some info in a site for importing Poser models into LW, but the short tut. was for PC (2000). not much use.

I assume that I have to edit a preference file or something in the Console, but I quickly tried to open what looked like a console file (?) into it and it didn't work. I haven't used the Console before, so it's quite likely I did something wrong...

Any help would be much appreciated here.

Thanks,
Aaron

jpburns
06-09-2003, 12:29 PM
Just open it in LightWave.

I don't know what you're talking about when you talk of editing a "console file."

Blubone
06-09-2003, 03:28 PM
Do you mean in Layout or Modeller? I tried to open it in Modeller, but the file requester wouldn't let me select it. Unless I am not supposed to use "Open" to open it. I need to put it with other parts of models so I need to open it inside Modeller for it to be any use...

About the console: I am using OSX. In LW's Programs folder there is a fiule called "Modeler cmdLine" which seemed to be the closest thing to the previously mentioned workaround for PC (above). I guessed that it was some kind of settings file and might be could be changed in OSX 's Console/Command Line software so I tried it in there....

Thanks,
Aaron

jpburns
06-09-2003, 04:42 PM
No. Just open it in Lightwave (Modeler). Change the popup in the open dialog from "Lightwave Files" to "All Documents", and then you can select the .obj files (or DXF of FACT, or...)

If you edit the LightWave Modeler 3 Prefs
(and/or the LightWave Layout 3 Prefs), you can get Lightwave to recognize these files in the future.

I believe details are in the manual...

riki
06-09-2003, 05:50 PM
It's possible to customise Modeler preferences, to do this, quit out of Modeler and open the 'LightWave Modeler 3 Prefs' file in Simple Text, and find the line which reads:

FileType Objects .lwo;LWOB;LWLO

and change it to:

FileType Objects .lwo;LWOB;LWLO;.dxf;.3ds;.obj

Alternatively you can just select 'Show All Files' but it's not as cool as the above method.