PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using LW on the new Core 2 Duo iMacs?

waverguy
09-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Any thoughts?

eidetiken
09-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Been using a 20" Core Duo iMac with 2gigs ram for a few months now. The new iMacs are 64 bit, which I'm sure you're aware, so don't think you can go wrong. Also from what I've read the chip is upgradeable. Don't think this means I can turn my 32bit machine into 64 bit iMac by just installing a new chip tho. Think I'd need a new motherboard for that.

Overall, I'm happy with it. I upgraded from an 800mhz Titanium powerbook so to me, it's nice. The only program I have that won't run in Rosetta is ZBrush. Some people say they get ZBrush to run by rebooting their macs, but it doesn't work for me. Lighwave 9 runs, it gets bogged down sometimes in modeller and I'm not able to animate very well because my scene turns into bounding boxes whenever I move something. I can't really see what my character is doing inside a bounding box. It's an OpenGL problem. I think this will be fixed because Chilton uses a Powerbook which has the same x1600 card as my iMac, and I"m sure he wants to be able to use Lightwave 9 on his Powerbook.

If you're going to get a new iMac I suggest getting the new 24 inch with the GeForce card for better OpenGL, max out the ram to 3 gigs and the biggest HD you can afford.

All my other programs run faster on my Intel iMac under Rosetta than did on my 800mhz Titanium so I'm not one to compare really. It's nice to me but I'm not that picky. I just want things to run.

Hoping the UB version of LW9 is out soon.

waverguy
09-15-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. I was really leaning toward buying the 24 inch iMac, but after seeing the benchmarks from Macworld (http://www.macworld.com/2006/09/reviews/24inchimac/index.php) I think the 20 inch iMac will be fine. To me, there doesn't seem to a really big difference between the two besides the bigger screen and a 800 firewire port. The extra 500 dollars needed to get the 24 inch iMac can buy a lot of ram.

BeeVee
09-16-2006, 02:46 AM
The bounding box thing doesn't sound like an OpenGL problem to me, but rather one of not setting your Bounding Box Threshold high enough in your display prefs... Hit d in Layout and change it from the default of 1000 to 1000000.

B